- Text Size +

"Nick....are you going to get sick again? He really doesn't look the greatest Kevin...he has sweat pouring down his face," Brian observed.

Actually what I wanted to do was lay my head down and go to sleep. I kept my eyes closed, not daring to open them. Besides my eyes betraying me making me go dizzy every time I opened them, my hands felt like they were falling asleep.

"I-I'm fine.....j-just feel weird," I stuttered.

"That made no sense at all. What did you say Nick? I couldn't understand you," Kevin said as he knelt beside me.

Clearing my throat, I repeated my sentence, this time without stuttering.

"Weird as in how?"

Before I could get the words out that I felt faint, Kevin had his hand pushing my head down toward my knees.

"Someone go get Nick a bottle of water," he demanded.

I seriously wanted to cry. Why was this happening to me?

"Any better?"

"Here Nicky, drink this slowly."

I looked up, finding AJ holding a bottle of water. Although I wanted to get a drink, my arm did exactly the opposite of what I had intended when it just stayed in my lap.

"Let me help," he offered as he put the water next to my mouth. "Drink slowly."

"I still don't like the way he looks," Brian said as he squatted down beside Kevin.

Howie stood behind Kevin and Brian. "I've never seen that boy sweat that much before in my life....and his lips have absolutely no color!"

"I feel like I'm gonna puke."

As much as I knew Kevin hated that word, that was the best way to put it to get someone's attention....except no one must of heard it because they were too busy staring at me. Did my lips not move?

"Okay Nick, how about we get that taxi and take you to get checked out?"

I tried to shake my head no but for some reason it wasn't working out like I had planned.....just like when my arm didn't go up to grab the bottle of water. Maybe I just needed to concentrate harder. Try harder Nick...

"I'm glad you went over Lou's head and booked a flight home without him and Johnny. We would have been trapped over there for at least another week," Howie said as Kevin unlocked the wheels to the wheel chair, obviously not realizing that I was trying to get someone's attention down here.

Try moving your arm... Okay, that still wasn't working....what could I do to get someone's attention? They aren't looking at me and God knows I've already tried to get their attention by talking.....I did the next best thing that I figured I could do......

SPIT

"Jesus, Carter that was gross!"

Poor Howie, I always had pretty good aim but unfortunately for him he was standing in front of the line of fire.

Howie turned around in a complete circle when he noticed AJ pointing at him.

"What?? What happened?" he demanded as he kept turning around trying to look

"Nick spit on your back...."

Then the light bulb popped on over AJ's head when he looked down at me. Judging by the look of horror on his face, I probably wasn't smiling.

The wheelchair came to an abrupt stop and I started to fall out before Brian grabbed my shoulder.

"Whoa...easy there buddy."

Once we had stopped in the middle of the hall, Kevin squatted down in front of me.

"Shit," he cursed as he looked at me.

Okay not the best comment I've heard when someone has looked at my face. What the hell is going on??

"Fuck you," I growled. "What did I ever do to you? Lemme go.....why the fuck am I in this fucking chair and why are you here?"

"Nicky stay put," Brian said when he came into my view.

"I'll get up when I want to....you're not the boss of me!"

"Oh dear sweet Jesus," Howie breathed, "his speech...."

What the hell is he talking about? Fuck him!

"Fuck y'all!"

"Where the hell do I get someone to get help?" AJ shouted as he stood in front of me, spinning around.

I wanted to get up and out of the wheelchair they had me confined to but for some reason, my legs weren't allowing me to. They felt heavy and weak.

"Why can't you help me? I just want to go home!"

Instead of help all I got back was someone rubbing my shoulder and Kevin still stayed squatted in front of me, running a hand through his hair as he mumbled a string of cuss words.

"Sorry Nick," Kevin breathed as he quickly stood up.

*******

The last thing Kevin promised me was that he wasn't going to leave me alone! I tried to protest but no one was listening to me and this guy that was riding in the back of the ambulance with me wasn't paying the least bit attention to anything I said to him. He kept giving me a stupid goofy look and would look back down at his clipboard like that was more interesting that staring down at me like a dumbass. I finally had enough and I started bawling my eyes.

Who cares? Evidently not that guy that was sitting in the back of this stupid ambulance! I couldn't wipe my eyes - I couldn't lift either one of my hands. Not that they were strapped down....I just plain couldn't lift either one of my arms!

I was scared. Period.

"Okay Mr. Carter, I'm going to put something in your IV Dr. Blake has ordered," the paramedic said to me as he drew up some medicine into a syringe before pushing into the IV line.

"Who is Dr. Blake?" I asked.

"I'm sorry about that. I forgot to warn you that it may sting when the med goes into the vein."

God! This was getting scary. First the guys don't understand what I'm saying and this guy sure as hell wasn't getting what I was trying to ask him.

"Your friend Kevin said he was going to be following the ambulance with the others in a taxi."

Why is he even talking to me??

"We'll be at the hospital soon......hey Nate what's our E.T.A?"

"Three minutes."

Remember how I said that guy would staring down at me with a goofy look on his face? He finally had a different look cross over his face. It was more of a type of look that a mother would give her child. I know that probably sounds gay since we're both guys but he actually had a concerned look on his face. I don't know if that should make me feel better but it sure as hell scared me more than anything. Then he rubbed my shoulder.

"Hang in there Nick.....we're almost there."