- Text Size +

"There is no amount of makeup in the world that will fix that eye," the photographer spat as he looked at me.

"I kept telling them I can stay back at the hotel.....you really don't have to have me in the picture," I begged.

The tall man shook his head as he positioned the stools in front of the blue canvas. "I was told to photograph five boys and five boys I will be shooting."

If his accent wasn't so funny sounding, I was sure I would had a nervous breakdown. The teasing from the AJ and Brian was bad enough but Lou Pearlman's threats were enough to send any sane person over the edge. It wasn't that I couldn't open my eye, it was the fact that it was red and puffy looking that had everyone up in arms about the situation.

"Maybe if we stick Kaos in the back in a dark corner," AJ suggested as he stood next to the photographer.

Brian chuckled as he added, "How about putting a bag over his head?"

"Ha...ha, real funny guys," I said as I made my way over to the area the photographer wanted me to sit. "It really doesn't look that bad. You're just making a big deal over nothing."

"Whatever Nick....you just look like you lost a fight with a girl," AJ taunted as he took his seat next to me.

"Knock it off Jay!"

Thank God for Kevin Richardson. He could be a real hard ass sometimes but he always came through in the end when someone was picking on me too much.

"Thanks Kev," I flashed a grateful smile at the older man as he took his place behind me.

"Maybe we could have Nick sit in a profile position, with the right side of his face toward the background."

I glared at Kevin, he could be a nice guy but he can also be a total asshole! "Why doesn't anyone believe me when I say that my eye doesn't look that bad?"

"Because it does!"

I winced when the rest of the guys made their observation loudly at the same time. Boy how I wished this day was over!

In what seemed to take forever, the photo shoot mercifully came to an end. My jaw was sore from smiling for an hour straight, not to mention my aching back. I'm only 17 but I felt like I was 87 at this point. Jumping up to leave, I felt a hand grab my shoulder.

"Where you going, little man?"

"I was gonna go back upstairs and lay down until sound check."

"Nope, we're having lunch in the hotel conference room."

"Count me out, I'm not hungry, I'm really beat," I pleaded.

"Wish I could Nick, but this is a PR meeting and it's mandatory."

I could feel the tears pooling into my eyes. PR meetings meant lots and lots of people staring at me while I ate and stuff. I really didn't want to be in a fishbowl when I felt like I had been up for a week straight. "Please Kev? Can't I just go back to my room?"

Kevin closed his eyes as he sighed. Maybe he was going to cave and let me have my way!

"Nick, I hate it when you whine."

"I know but---"

"Anyway, you can just play nice and suck it up for at least another hour. It's not gonna kill you and besides you have to eat."

Crap.....crap.....crap! I hate having obligations when my bed was practically calling me!

Taking my seat in the small conference room, I was anyplace mentally but in that room. I figured this was all gonna be about money and deals so I really didn't need to pay attention. Kevin was there, it was his job to be the spokesman for the group. Howie poked me in the ribs and motion for me to look over to my left. Judging by the evil glare I was getting from Kevin, I had been asked a question and naturally I got caught spacing out.

"C-could you repeat the question?"

An older man wearing a business suit cleared his throat. "I asked you what you thought of our beautiful city?"

I tugged the collar on my shirt as I squirmed in my seat. Where the heck are we right now? Germany.....France......Sweden? Everything seemed to run together and I just couldn't keep anyplace straight. We even have the name of the venue taped on the entrance to the stage so we were reminded of the place we were at before we went on stage. I'll be damned that I didn't have that type of help right now since I was blanking out. "Um...I really haven't had a chance to see your city but I'm sure it's beautiful," I replied, adding the Backstreet smile for emphasis.

I caught Kevin's eye after my comment and judging the look of contentment on his face, I passed the test and answered appropriately. I paid attention to the rest of the PR meeting. Thankfully, lunch was served - plates loaded with shrimp and shellfish. Each person was given a large glass of white wine, including me! My joy was short lived when Kevin had Howie take the wine away from me.

"Nick gets a little goofy on wine. Get him a coke and he'll be happy."

No thank you Kevin! Pepsi.....you know I like Pepsi! I mentally shouted. I tried to look happy as I took a forkful of the shrimps and even forced a look of enjoyment when the greasy dish slid into my mouth. It wasn't until the hot spices started my mouth on fire did I really wish I had that coke sitting in front of me. I looked desperately around the table for something to put the fire out! Just as Howie was putting his glass of wine to his mouth, I reached over and grabbed it from his hand. Ignoring the reprimand from the Latino, I gulped the beverage, silently praying it would quench the fire in my mouth.

"Geeze Nick, take it easy on the liquor," AJ smirked.

"Nick! Have you completely lost your mind?" Kevin hissed.

"That shrimp was hot.....I had to cool my mouth down," I pled my case.

"If you blow on it before you stick it in your mouth, you wouldn't have that problem," Brian said as he leaned over the table to whisper.

"It wasn't hot as in heat hot...it was spicy hot....I dunno, just skip it."

A waitress approached the table and placed a bowl of red soup in front of me. I was afraid of how spicy this would be so I was cautious before I put a spoonful in my mouth. I was surprized at how good it tasted. Soon, everyone was eating the soup and forgetting about what had happened with the hot shrimps. Thank God!

After a few moments of quiet eating did my bladder announce that I needed to go use the facilities....now!. I pushed my chair away from the table. "Excuse me please."

"Where are you going?"

Why did Kevin need to know everything I do? "Um, I just have to go."

"Go where?"

I rolled my eyes. God Kev could be so thick sometimes. "You know.....go?"

By the look on Kevin's face, I was grateful to see that what I had to do finally connected. "Oh....okay. Hurry back."

"Yeah, I will..."

Looking back now, I don't know why I didn't feel something pull on my pants. Why didn't I stop? I only took two or three steps away from the table and not until I heard the yells and the crashing sound did I realize that somehow the table cloth had gotten tucked into my zipper or something.

Dishes crashed to the floor and food flew through the air, hitting almost everyone that was seated at the table. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die on the spot. I had to ask what else could go wrong today and I got the answer.

Okay so I get rudely awoken from my bed this morning, forced to go shopping with AJ, space out on television during an interview, get poked in the eye with my backpack, made fun of at a photo shoot and now this! I think I should have stayed in bed today. Mom always told me trouble comes in threes. I think I had my share of enough bad luck today.

Things will be better now!