- Text Size +
AJ jumped at Kevin's yell. What the hell is it now? Squeaker huddled behind a rock, frightened by the yell. AJ looked to the river, his eyes widened, "Shit!"

AJ jumped to his feet, along with Howie and Brian. They sprinted to the river, watching as Kevin leapt for Nick and then both of them were caught up in the rapids.

Oh, shit. Oh, shit. Oh, shit! This is NOT happening! thought AJ as he ran along parallel to his friends struggling in the river, he leapt over the rocks and logs in his path. He could hear Brian and Howie right behind him.

"Kev! Nick!" yelled AJ, "Hang on!" Oh, please God! Let them hang on...

Brian burst ahead of AJ, he was in an all out run, his eyes never strayed from his friends in the churning water. "Nick! Kev! Please, hang on! We'll get you!"

They watched as Kevin shoved Nick to a large rock near shore, Nick slamming into it but hanging on. Nick reached for Kevin, but the water pulled him away and further down river. Brian turned his head back to AJ and Howie, never breaking his stride, "I got Nick! Get Kevin!"

AJ and Howie nodded, sweeping past Brian as he reached the shore's edge where Nick still clung to the rock, seeing the river still tugging at his body. Brian sucked in a breath as his legs entered the cold water, it soon reaching his mid chest as he waded out to Nick's shivering form, feeling the surging river pulling at him.

Brian placed a hand on Nick's back, his fingers grasping the wet material, "Nick... Nick, c'mon. Let's get out of the river."

"Kev-" came the weak reply to Brian's request. Nick tore his eyes away from the spot Kevin just disappeared from, his pained eyes drilling into Brian's, "I-... Kev-"

Brian bit his lip as Nick's reeling gaze turned back down river. Brian used his free hand to pull Nick's face back to him so he could look into his eyes, "Nick, Kevin will be fine. You understand? He'll be FINE, okay?"

"But-" Nick tried to turn his head back down river, but Brian's hold tightened and Nick was forced to look into his friend's face again.

"No 'buts'. He'll. Be. Fine," Brian punctuated each word, trying to get through to his distressed friend.

Nick prayed that Brian would be right. It was his fault this whole thing happened. Nick closed his eyes, when he opened them he stared at Brian's concerned face. "Okay, Bri'. L- let's get out of the river," Nick finally said, nodding his head.

Brian smiled, "Good. Now, let me get an arm around ya so you don't float away on me, 'kay?"

Nick nodded, beginning to notice the shivers racking his cold body. Brian moved his hand around Nick's waist, getting a good hold, then pulled Nick away from the rock and to the shore. Their water-logged clothes weighed them down as they stumbled out of the river. Brian helped Nick to more level ground and then set his friend down, kneeling beside him. Nick let his gaze stay locked in the direction that Kevin had disappeared, unconsciously wrapping his arms around his shivering frame. He wasn't even aware of his teeth chattering.

"Jeez, Nick. We gotta get you warmed up, you're freezing," said Brian, his hand on Nick's shoulder feeling the shivers and cold skin underneath.

Nick didn't answer Brian, just kept watching for Kevin. Brian sighed, his gaze following Nick's. He was worried for his cousin, but he couldn't get all panicky in front of Nick, he didn't think that Nick could handle it. He silently prayed that Kevin would be all right, wanting what he told Nick to become true. Please, Lord. Please, let him be okay.

Brian turned his attention back to Nick, seeing him still staring down the river, his face seemed so lost. Shaking his head slightly, Brian got to his feet, "Nick... Nick!" Nick's blank blue eyes looked up at him. "Nick, I'm going back upstream for the backpack. There were matches in it, you need to be warmed up. I'll be right back, all right?"

Nick gave a small nod and then switched his gaze back to the river. Brian took a deep breath before turning and heading back upstream.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Kevin struggled to keep his head above water, but the cold water kept churning and pulling him down. It got to a point that he had to take a gulp of air every chance he was above water, because the next second he would be submerged. As he was dragged down once again, he tried to get back to the surface, peddling his arms and legs with all his strength, but all this seemed to do was cause him to become exhausted and nowhere near the surface.

Just when he felt blackness encroach his mind, his lungs practically screaming for air, an eddy pushed him to the surface. When he broke through he gasped in a huge amount of air, then his breathing became short, coughing gasps as he tried to get his wind back.

Kevin was beginning to feel lightheaded, still gasping and coughing, he barely noticed the now calmer waters he floated in. Kevin felt the blackness hovering over him, his eyes half hooded. Kevin had a fleeting thought of his friends, then his eyes fell closed and he succumbed to the blackness and sank under the calm water.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Howie and AJ desperately ran after Kevin's swift path, trying to get ahead of him so they could stop his plight, but the river was too fast. They could barely keep up with him. Howie noticed how Kevin surfaced fewer and fewer times, then he disappeared. Oh, God... No...

"AJ, where is he?" Howie asked AJ running beside him.

AJ shook his head, "I don't know, he went under and hasn't come back up."

Howie stopped, turning to the river and cupping his hands to his face, "Kevin!" He waited. "Kevin!"

AJ grabbed his arm, "D'! Look!" AJ pointed downstream at the calmer water, Howie could see a dark green shirt, then it disappeared under water.

"Kev!" Howie yelled, he and AJ running to the spot they had seen their friend. They both made to go in after Kevin, but AJ stopped Howie with a restraining hand on his arm.

"Wait here, Howie. One of us ought to stay dry," said AJ, now moving quickly into the river after Kevin. He waded to where he had last seen Kev and searched the water with his eyes and hands. He gasped when his hand made contact with something soft. AJ grabbed a hold of Kevin's shirt and hauled him above water, his body hanging limp in his arms.

Dread filled Howie's eyes at the sight of Kevin's limp form dangling in AJ's arms as AJ brought him back to shore. It looked like Kevin was dead.

"Oh, God AJ... he's not-... not..." Howie couldn't finish.

"No, Howie, he's breathin'," informed AJ, struggling with Kevin's dead weight, "Give me a hand, will ya?"

Howie nodded and took Kevin's upper weight as AJ took Kevin's legs. They carried him to land that was level and smooth, away from the rocky shore. They carefully laid him down and tried to make him comfortable.

Howie leaned over Kevin's face, "Kev?" he glanced at AJ and then back to Kevin, "Hey, Kev, come on... come back to us."

Howie gently slapped Kevin's face, trying to wake him up.

"What happened?" asked AJ, "Why's he unconscious?"

Howie looked at him, "I don't know. Maybe the lack of air, we're lucky he didn't inhale any water."

AJ solemnly nodded, he knew what that would of meant. Suddenly, Kevin started to weakly cough. "Kev?" asked AJ, laying a hand on Kevin's chest. No answer, but the coughing became louder, soon causing Kevin's form to turn on his side and curl up.

Howie patted his back, "Kev? You with us?"

More coughing, then a strained, "Yeah."

AJ and Howie slumped, "Thank God, are you okay?" asked AJ.

"Yeah," coughing, "I think so."

Kevin sat up, then he wrapped his arms around himself as shivers racked his body. "I'm cold," he managed through chattering teeth.

"Yeah, me too," smiled AJ, trying to lighten the mood, "Let's get you back to Brian and Nick, then we can get warmed up. You think you can make it back?"

Kevin mutely nodded, too tired to fully comprehend all of what AJ just said. Then one of the jumbled words AJ said caused him to gasp and look around wildly.

"Whoa!" cried Howie, placing a hand on Kev's shoulder, "What's wrong, Kev?"

Kevin's eyes shot to Howie, the fear in them causing Howie to lean back, "Nick!" Kevin gasped, "Where's Nick? Is he okay?"

"Whoa there, Kev," said AJ calmly, "The kid's fine, he's back upstream. You saved him, Kev. He's all right, 'kay?"

Kevin stared at AJ, as if he were slowly processing the words AJ just spoke. Finally, Kevin's features relaxed and he nodded his head.

AJ glanced at Howie, "OK, let's get you up and going."

With that, AJ and Howie each took an arm and hauled Kev to his feet. Kevin could hold some of his weight, but needed the support of his friends to walk.

"Ok, let's go," grunted Howie. Then the trio made their way slowly back to where they had left Nick and Brian.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Nick sat shivering, his eyes never straying from the last point that he had seen Kevin. All that mattered at the moment was Kevin coming back safe, alive. Nick didn't acknowledge Brian's absence or his shivering form, just the image of Kevin being swept away from his reach kept replaying over and over in his mind's eye. First Howie and Brian, now Kevin... Nick's unblinking eyes kept staring, a solitary tear falling from his eye and slowly sliding down his face, camouflaged by the water dripping from his hair. Nick began to rock back and forth slightly, Why did this have to happen to us? What did we ever do to deserve this?... Why-... Why's this happening to us? Nick ran his hands through his cold, wet hair, causing it to now be slicked back except for some rebel strands falling over his forehead. He clasped his hands behind his neck, his elbows resting on his knees. God... I don't know how much more of this I can take...

Nick abruptly got himself back under control when the sound of footsteps penetrated his thoughts. Nick turned away from the river and saw Brian walking up to him with the backpack. Nick smiled at seeing Squeaker, he was perched on top of Brian's head. A light laugh escaped him at the annoyed expression on Brian's face.

Brian looked up as far as he could, trying to glare at the squirrel on his head. "Pah-too-ey!" he sputtered when the fuzzy tail fell across his mouth. Brian heard someone laughing and looked to see Nick smiling at him. Brian smiled back, glad to see Nick smiling and laughing, even if it was at his own expense.

Brian kneeled beside Nick, glad when Squeaker jumped off of his head and onto the ground. Still smiling, Nick reached out a shaking hand and pet the small animal.

Brian shook his head at the squirrel, "The thing insisted on taking this little trip sitting on my head. I tried to take him off, but he grabbed onto my hair and I preferred keeping it intact."

Brian watched Nick's smiling eyes as they turned to him, knowing Nick was about to remark on the subject when another sound came to them. Nick's head snapped around to see AJ and Howie coming towards them with Kevin supported between them. Nick's eyes widened, then they fell to the ground before him.

Brian's smile fell along with Nick's, Brian watching the humor and slight amusement die away from Nick's face. Nick now held a blank expression, his eyes refusing to rest upon what he had been waiting for these last moments. Brian looked up to see what had caused the sudden change, he jumped to his feet, "Kev!"

Brian ran to Howie, AJ, and Kevin, taking an arm away from AJ, who then went over to check on Nick. Brian looked into his cousin's downcast face, "Hey, Kev, you doin' okay?"

"Tired... cold," Kevin whispered through chattering teeth.

"All right, big guy. Don't you worry, we'll get you warmed up," assured Brian as he and Howie reached Nick and AJ, lowering their shivering burden to the sandy ground. Kevin leaned back, eyes closed.

Nick forced himself to look at his older friend, grimacing. His gaze changed to look at Brian, who was digging through the backpack, "Is he okay?"

"I think so," said Brian, glancing up from his search, "He seems to just be tired and cold, I think he'll be fine after some rest and once we get this fire goin'... Aha!" Brian pulled the box of matches from the bag triumphantly, "Now, let's get this fire started, shall we? AJ, why don't you and Howie go find some tinder and branches."

Howie and AJ nodded, AJ scooping up Squeaker, and turned to the forest behind them, but paused at Brian's shout, "Wait! Howie, your clothes are dry?" Howie nodded. "Okay, you wanna take your shirts off and bring 'em here? Kev and Nick can't sit here in wet clothes."

Howie walked over and gave Brian his long-sleeved white shirt and his black t-shirt, he then returned to join AJ in finding some suitable tinder.

"Yo, 'D! Look at you, strutting around half naked. What would yer mother say?!" greeted AJ, smirking at Howie, making fun of the situation being the only way he could keep his mind from dwelling on the bruises that dotted Howie's chest, arms, and back. Howie just shook his head and walked past AJ. "Oh, you stud muffin!" AJ continued, smiling as he quickly caught up to Howie, "No wonder girls faint at your feet! Why you're..."

AJ's mocking voice faded as he and Howie moved farther away from Brian, who was smiling at AJ's antics and shaking his head. He turned to his shivering friends, "Okay, lets get those wet shirts off, we'll let you keep yer pants, don't worry," Brian said quickly at Nick's wary look, "I won't totally embarrass ya, bud. Besides, if we took yer pants, you'd have to wear ours and I don't think any of ours would fit ya. Now, take yer shirt off and put this on." Brian handed Nick the white long-sleeved shirt, "I'll take care of Kevvy, here."

Nick just mutely nodded his head, taking the shirt after stripping his wet navy one off. As Nick was trying to straighten the shirt out, it being turned inside out after Howie took it off, Brian pulled Kevin's wet shirt off and replaced it with the dry, black one of Howie's. Brian frowned at Kevin's sluggish movements as he tried to assist him in the exchange, it showing Brian how exhausted Kev was. Looking back at Nick, he saw him having some trouble with the tangled shirt, "Here, Frack, let me help ya." Brian took the shirt and straightened it, but as he handed it back to Nick he stopped. Brian stared at Nick, "Nick, what's that?"

Nick's pale face twisted in confusion, "Huh? What's what?"

Brian pointed toward the vicinity of Nick's bare shoulder, "That."

Nick looked down and his eyes widened, he'd forgotten about that. "It's nothin'," he stated quickly, grabbing the shirt from Brian's frozen hand and hastily putting it on.

Brian's eyebrows raised, the scattered bruises and scrape to the side he expected, but the wound on Nick's collar bone was something new. Nick wasn't telling him something, "Nothing? Nick, that don't look like nothing. Where'd it come from?"

Nick paused momentarily in buttoning the shirt, "Uh... It came from that fall down the hill, the landslide."

Brian's brow creased, "Howie didn't say anything about it, and it looks... well, different than when you get scratched by a branch or rock." Brian gazed at his best friend, unconvinced, "Nick... where did it come from?"

Nick finished buttoning the shirt and looked around nervously, anywhere but at Brian. He was desperately trying to think of a reason, any reason but the truth. He didn't want them to know about Jake and get all worried about him; after all, he had caused that little ordeal himself. He shouldn't of left the others.

"Nick-" Brian started, but was interrupted by AJ.

"Hey! We're back!" he yelled, walking towards them with an armful of branches and Squeaker running at his feet, Howie followed close behind. "How you guys doin'?"

Nick took advantage of the distraction, "Better, this dry shirt helps a lot. Thanks, 'D."

"Hey, no prob," Howie replied as Nick hugged the dry, warm material closer. "What about Kev?"

After a long look at Nick that said 'this is not over', Brian looked over to his cousin, "Ah, the big lug's fast asleep. That river ride plum tuckered him out." Brian talked with a lightness in his voice, trying to make what happened seem like a dip in the pool instead of the reality that they almost lost Kevin and Nick to the raging river. Brian was trying desperately to distance himself from the seriousness of the resent event, he knew he wouldn't be able to handle it. This was hitting him pretty hard. With a slight shake of his head, Brian addressed the others, "C'mon, lets get this fire started and dry off."

AJ and Howie dropped the tinder at Brian's side, kneeling beside him as he began the construction of the fire. AJ shivered as a cold breeze hit his damp clothes, he looked up at the setting sun, "I guess we're stuck here for the night," he sighed, looking at his friends while absently petting Squeaker. "Hey, Bri, your pretty good at that."

Brian had just finished the small tinder pile and was striking the match at AJ's comment, "Yeah, well," he said, blowing on the small flame to make it grow, "I learned it when I was in 4-H. We'd have camp outs and have to make our own camp fires and stuff. It was a lot of fun." Brian smiled at the memory, then his smile fell, "Never thought I'd have to use it like this, though."

AJ and Howie nodded, also wishing that this had never happened, "Yeah, I hear ya, Bri'," agreed AJ. He turned to Nick, "C'mon, Kaos, get over by the fire before you end up getting sick."

Nick silently scooted closer to the now good sized fire, he sighed at the warmth he felt through his damp pants, feeling his numb skin begin to tingle. Brian and Howie moved to Kevin's slumbering form, waking him and pulling him close to the fire also. For his part, Kevin merely blinked groggily up at them, then closed his eyes in a sigh when the heat hit his shivering form. He was soon asleep once more.

Howie chuckled, "Well, I'd say Kev's out for the count."

Nick absently rubbed his hands over his arms, trying to hurry the warmth into his body. His gaze traveled to Kevin's form. He couldn't help feeling that this was all his fault, he looked to the graying sky above and sighed. A frown turned his mouth as he silently berated himself.

Brian studied Nick intently, watching the display of emotions filtering across his face. Brian squinted, trying to figure out what was going on with Nick. He thought about what just happened, finding the new injury. Why didn't Nick say something about it? When did it happen? Brian could see it wasn't a serious injury, but something about it bothered him. It was distorted by the dried blood, but he could make out a thin, red line... like a cut. Brian's eyes narrowed. How would Nick get cut? When?

AJ's voice brought both Nick and Brian out of their thoughts, "Hey, I'm hungry. Think we can have some of that food now?" he asked, placing a hand on his growling stomach.

Brian remembered he was quite hungry too, "Yeah, I s'pose. We better not take too much though." Brian reached into the backpack, bringing out a box of crackers and a box of cookies. "They sure didn't give us what ya call 'healthy' food, now did they. Well, lets work on the crackers and cookies for now, the other stuff we'll save."

AJ greedily grabbed the boxes, opening them and stuffing a handful of crackers in his mouth, he paused at the sound of someone clearing their throat. Looking up he sees Howie and Brian with looks of contempt gracing their features and arms crossed. He swore that if they would of been standing, their feet would be tapping away. AJ slowly swallowed, then carefully set the boxes down. He looked up at his friends apologetically, "Oops, sorry. Don't know what came over me..." He was met with doubtful gazes, "Hey, I was HUNGRY! Can ya blame a guy?"

Brian and Howie kept their faces straight, but they soon broke out in smiles. Howie shook his head, "Yeah, yeah, AJ. Just remember this has to last a while, 'kay?"

AJ nodded and grabbed another handful of crackers, but took his time eating. Soon, they all sat around their fire eating cookies and crackers, having the water in the canteens to drink. AJ snuck a couple for Squeaker, the little squirrel liked this, eagerly scarfing the treat down. When Squeaker was finished, he curled up near the warm fire and went to sleep.

Nick sat staring into the fire, now wearing his dry navy shirt and absently eating a cookie, he was kinda glad that they didn't have food until now, before he didn't think he would of been able to keep it down. Right now, the effects of the concussion had left, except for a dull headache, but that was nothing compared to before.

As the night fell, so did the temperature. They were glad they had the fire, this night was chilly for some reason, a breeze constantly present. Brian had eaten his fill of food and was leaning against a rock, gazing up into the night sky. He again noticed how bright it was, he could see the landscape around him pretty well, there wasn't a cloud in the sky to obstruct the sun this night. Brian frowned. Why is it still so bright? What place has very bright nights, where the sun doesn't even seem to set completely? Brian's brow furrowed, he knew. He just couldn't grasp it, it was in his mind but he couldn't access it. Brian dwelled on this for some time. He didn't even notice when Kevin began to wake up.

Kevin sleepily blinked his eyes, trying to remember what happened. He squinted, trying to access the memories. He could here AJ and Howie softly arguing, but he didn't hear Brian or Nick. Nick! Kevin sat up quickly, his worn out body protesting. Kevin didn't care, he scanned the area for Nick. He audibly released his breath when he found Nick sitting close beside him, cross-legged and staring into the fire. Satisfied with what he saw, he looked for the others. He saw AJ and Howie sitting across from him, on the other side of the fire and they seemed to be fighting about the squirrel sitting between them. Kevin's face turned slightly confused at seeing Howie in only his white shirt, but looking down he found he wore Howie's black t-shirt. Shrugging, he next found Brian, simply gazing up into the sky. He seemed to be concentrating on something, "Bri?" Kevin whispered hoarsely.

Brian's eyes snapped to Kevin, "Hey, Kev! Ya finally woke up, huh?" Brian got up and walked to Kevin, grabbing the box of crackers and a canteen along the way. "Here," he said, kneeling beside his cousin, "have some water."

Kevin grasped the canteen weakly, taking a long drink. The cool water helped his dry throat, "Thanks," he nodded, handing it back to Brian who then gave him a handful of crackers.

"You better eat somethin', we already did," Brian said at Kevin's questioning look. "So, how are ya feelin'?"

Kevin thought for a minute, eating a cracker, "Not too bad, considering. I used to be really cold, but now I'm pretty good. I feel like I just ran a marathon, though." Kevin changed his position and grimaced, "All of my muscles ache."

Brian nodded, "Yeah, the river pretty much wiped you out. It being so cold and you tryin' to swim, you're just plain tired out, Kev."

Kevin just nodded, agreeing.

Nick had listened to the conversation, pretending he wasn't. He just continued to stare into the dancing flames, looking lost in his thoughts when really, he was listening intently. He couldn't contain the sigh of relief when Kevin said he was all right. Nick was afraid that Kev was really hurt. The image of Kevin pushing him to the rock flashed in front of him. Nick blinked. Kevin did that knowing he would be swept away, Nick had seen it in his eyes when he turned and reached out for him. That look, the look in those green eyes, it would be forever seared into his brain.

Kevin switched his gaze from Brian to Nick, "Hey, Nick. You okay?"

Nick jumped, quickly looking at him, "Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

Kevin looked into Nick's eyes, he saw something all too familiar, "Nick, it wasn't your fault."

Brian stared from Kev to Nick, so that is what was bothering him.

"Kev, if I hadn't of went out into the river-"

"Nick," Kevin interrupted, "It wasn't your fault. You can say all the 'ifs' you want, it still won't be your fault. Nothing that happens during this 'game'," Kevin spat the word out, "is any of our faults. The blame lies on only one person, that insane woman that started all this. You reminded me of that, Nick."

Nick stared at Kevin, then the ground before him. He had heard Kev's words and he knew that Kevin was right, but... he still felt somewhat responsible. "Kev, I believe you, but... its still hard."

Kevin sat up and scooted over by Nick, throwing an arm over his shoulders, "Yeah, I know, kid. But don't worry, we'll win this."

The determination in Kevin's voice caused Nick to sit up straighter. If Kevin believed that, then so would he. Nick smiled, "We'll kick her butt!"

Kevin laughed, glancing at Brian who was also laughing, "Yeah, all the way to the moon!"

Brian smirked, "Heck, Nick. With you on our team we can't lose, we all know how you refuse to lose." Brian chuckled, a memory pricked, "Hey, remember on the 'Rosie O'Donnel Show'? When we played that game against those fans? We were getting our butts kicked and the look on Nick's face..." Brian laughed, "You looked so dejected."

Nick faked a pout, "Hey, they were cheating! Howie said so!"

"I did not!" Shouted Howie from across the fire, he and AJ moving to join their friends, "I was joking when I said that. Man, Rosie almost bit my head off!"

AJ laughed, "Yeah, she set you straight. And what about the mysterious 'Funky Chickens' phenomenon?" AJ smirked, looking at Nick.

Nick blushed, "How was I supposed to remember that? I think I blocked it out, too embarrassing. I don't know what I was thinking, I mean, 'The Funky Chickens'?!"

Kevin's eyes danced in laughter, "You gotta admit Nick, that was priceless!"

"Yeah," agreed Howie, smiling, "What else are you hiding, Nicky?"

Nick quickly diverted attention, "Hey, what about Brian?! He switched sides!"

Brian just held himself up straighter and smirked, "Well, you gotta go with the flow. And the flow was with the winning team. They didn't seem to mind."

"Obviously!" cried Nick. They all shared a good laugh, something they needed to lift their spirits back up.

Wiping tears from his eyes, Kevin looked around after a thought hit him. "Hey, what happened to those fish that I caught?"

Nick's face brightened, "They're probably still on shore, I'll go get them. We could have them for breakfast."

Howie made a face, "Nick! Fish for breakfast?!"

Nick just smiled and shrugged, "Why not?"

The others stared at each other. "Well, it'd certainly be something different," said Kevin, "And they probably won't keep for very long, so we should eat them as soon as possible. We've already eaten tonight, so I guess its gonna be breakfast."

Howie and AJ groaned while Nick and Brian just grinned. "See," smiled Nick, "I told ya. I'll be right back, then."

Still smiling, Nick made his way back to the shore. He stopped at the very spot where it all started, he shivered. Turning his mind off from the disturbing memories, he stooped down and began to pick up the four dead fish. Yelch! With a scowl, Nick picked the last one up and was straitening up when a sound caused him to pause, frozen.

Nick didn't dare move, stuck in a hunched over position. He tried to keep his breathing steady, taking deep calming breaths. Its okay, its okay, its okay... Nick heard the sound again, fearful of the identity of the sound, he furtively glanced behind him. Oh, God! Its not okay! Oh, definitely NOT okay! Nick looked up to the heavens and then closed his eyes, God, why does this always happen to me?

The sound came again, closer this time. Nick began to tremble, the low roar sound making his legs weak. He gazed longingly toward his friends in the distance. Guys! Hello?! A little help here? Your adorable baby brother needs some assistance! Nick's fear filled eyes flicked to the monstrosity behind him, it taking slow measured steps toward him. GUYS! Need... Help... NOW!

Nick didn't dare say these things out loud, though. He didn't want to anger or provoke the decidedly menacing and very LARGE 'bear' behind him. What do I do? Nick jumped as the bear roared again, even closer. Oh, jeez! What the hell do I do?!

"Hey, NICK! What's takin' so long?!"

The bear froze, its massive head jerking from Nick to his friends and then back again. It seemed to be confused.

"Yo! NICKY!"

The bear roared, Nick cringed. Then it reared up on its hind legs, throwing its head up as it roared again. Its wild eyes drilled into Nick. Oh, shut up, AJ! Please, God! AJ, SHUT UP!

Nick felt his body begin to cramp, not liking the position Nick decided to stay in. Nick stared at the bear over his shoulder, he watched as the wild eyes changed. Oh, God... this is it.

Just as the bear dropped to all fours and began toward Nick, Nick spun around, dropping the fish. Nick backpedalled, stumbling over the rocky ground and crashing to the rough terrain. Nick knew it didn't matter if he spoke now as he desperately scrambled back from the menacing and very angry bear closing in on him.

With everything he had in him, Nick screamed, "GUYS!"

Then the bear lunged...