- Text Size +
AJ froze in mid yell when Nick screamed for them, his eyes darting to the river to see the dusky image of Nick falling to the ground and something large lunging after him. A roar filled the air and AJ's heart stopped, only vaguely noticing when Squeaker awoke with a squeak and quickly ran behind a rock. AJ's breath caught at the realization of what he had seen lunge at his young friend.

"Bear!" he yelled to the others, scrambling to his feet. "It's a God-damned bear!"

The others, who had not yet recovered from Nick's yell, all jumped to their feet.

Brian grabbed AJ's arm, his blue eyes wide with panic, "What?!"

AJ broke into a run, dragging Brian with him, "A bear! Nick's being attacked by a bear!"

Brian felt his breath shorten, turning into panicked gasps. He tried to calm himself, to relax his breathing as he stumbled behind AJ, but it was kinda hard when your best friend was being mauled by a wild animal.

"Ahhh!" Nick threw his arms out against the large beast, trying to keep the tooth filled mouth away from his face. He gritted his teeth, his arms shaking from exertion as the bear tried to force Nick's restraint down. His face twisted into a grimace as the fetid breath wafted over him, saliva dripping from the bear's mouth as it roared, obviously angered by Nick's resistance. Nick didn't care, he wanted to live.

Nick dimly heard his friends' panicked calls, the fear clouding his senses. What could they do? Nick knew the answer. Absolutely nothing. Oh, God. I SO don't want to die... especially like this. A grunt escaped his clenched teeth as the bear's face slowly inched closer, Nick's arms beginning to give out.

"No!" Nick choked out, finding reserve strength and pushing the bear's face back the few inches it had gained. The bear snarled, shaking its head. Nick's fingers tightened their hold in the dark fur of the bear's neck, not letting the bear shake his grip loose. He felt the bear's weight shift, a heavy clawed foot slammed down on his left shoulder. The bear now tried to pull away from Nick, twisting his head to try and loosen his grip. Nick held on, if he let go the bear would just go after him again. Either that or it would go after the guys.

AJ, Howie, Kevin, and Brian all ran to the scene of their struggling friend. Brian stopped along side AJ at the sight that greeted them, "Nick!" Brian's voice strangled out. He looked frantically about, searching for any kind of weapon. All he found was rocks. Fine, then that's what it's gonna be.

Brian grabbed a handful of the sharp rocks and started to hurl them at the bear attacking his friend. The others saw this and followed suit. Soon, a barrage of rocks were pelting the bear, but it didn't veer from its victim. The bear simply ignored them.

Nick's breathing had long since turned into pants of fear and the just plain need for oxygen. The bear glared down at Nick with hate filled eyes, causing Nick to flinch but not let go. Then the bear suddenly jerked its head up and looked to the side. Nick spared a glance and gasped. There stood his friends no further than a few feet away, throwing... rocks? at the bear. Nick's fear dimmed senses vaguely heard the thumps of the rocks hitting their target, Guys! Please, just get out of here while you can! Please... The bear turned back to Nick, seeming unfazed to the assault that Nick's friends continued. Again, the bear pushed its head towards Nick, again stopped by Nick's shear will to live. The bear roared and snapped its teeth, it tried another tactic.

"Ahhh! God, damn it!" Nick cried out, his face twisting in pain as the bear's clawed foot pawed at his left shoulder, hearing his shirt tear and feeling the claws rip into his skin. Nick felt his whole left arm begin to give out, weakened by the damage. The bear closed in. Nick blinked, Oh, God. This is it...

Nick stared into the bear's face as it came closer, feeling the hot breath against his skin. Nick shook his head violently, "Nooo!" He yelled, feeling his resistance give out.

Brian whipped around to face Kevin, frantic, "Kev! What the hell do we do?!"

Kevin continued to throw rocks at the bear, "I don't know!" He bit out, helplessness taking control and anger twisting his features.

Brian's face hardened in a decision, his voice came out low and his southern accent was more pronounced, "Fine, I'm gonna do somethin'."

Brian made to lunge at the bear, but arms wrapped around his chest, stopping him. "Brian, no!" yelled Howie, digging his feet into the ground and tightening his hold to stop Brian as he continued to try and go after the bear. "What do ya think yer doin'?!"

Brian pulled against Howie's restraining hold, "I gotta help Nick! Let me GO!"

"Brian!" said AJ, quickly joining Howie in holding Brian back, "This won't help him! You'll jus' get yerself killed instead!"

Brian glared back at them, "I don't care! I won't let this happen!" Brian broke from their grasps and started toward the bear, when a loud crack suddenly rang out, stopping him as he saw the bear pause and roar. Was that what I think it was?

Nick had jumped as the loud crack echoed through the night and he felt the large animal looming over him give a jolt, eliciting a pain filled roar and tossing its head around, searching. Another crack echoed and Nick saw a small amount of sand and rock explode from the ground beside his head. He squinted as the dust and rock shards hit the side of his face, causing it to sting. Nick's eyes widened as he realized what the sound was, Who the hell is shooting at me?

Another shot rang out and Nick felt the bear tear out of his hands and jump to the side with a roar of pain, favoring its left foreleg. Nick watched as the fur darkened, the bear had been hit twice in the leg. The bear snarled and Nick cowered back when it made a move back in his direction, then another shot broke through the night, closer this time, shooting sand and rock up at the bear's feet. It jumped back and roared with its head turned behind him, glaring into the dark trees. Nick stared as a figure formed from the shadows and emerged into the dusky, gray light. It was a man, that much Nick could tell.

Nick glanced at the guys, seeing them in the same place as before. The bear was still close beside Nick and they didn't want to provoke the now wounded animal. The man was walking slowly toward Nick and the bear, a rifle pointed at the angered animal. Once he was closer, he shot at the ground before the bear again. The bear jumped back and then spun around and disappeared into the forest. The man lowered the rifle and watched it go, then he turned to Nick who was staring up from the ground with wide eyes, one hand clamped tightly to his bleeding shoulder.

Nick stared into a face with light brown eyes that demoted the roughness about the man, he seemed to be in his early fifties and was lightly tanned. The man had soft chestnut hair that fell over his forehead, giving him the essence of being younger than what he actually was. Nick had a feeling he was friend, not foe. Yeah, he just scared the bear off, but you never knew. But... Nick decided that the man could be trusted. Maybe he could help them get out of this hell. Nick snapped out of his trance at his friends' voices.

"Nick!" Brian dropped down at Nick's side, his eyes roving over him, not believing his friend was still alive. "You okay?" Brian knew that was a stupid question, but he didn't know what else to say.

Nick tore his eyes away from the strange man, "Bri," he sighed, "I was just attacked by a bear. Do I 'look' okay?" The pain caused Nick's voice to come out harsher than he wanted. He looked quickly at Brian and saw the flash of hurt, "Hey, I'm sorry Brian. I didn't mean it the way it sounded." Nick squeezed his eyes shut with a wince when pain shot though his shoulder.

"Hey, no problem, bud," Brian replied quickly, seeing the pain cross Nick's face. He turned to the others around him, his eyes gazed pleadingly at Kevin, "Kev, do something. He's in pain."

Kevin kneeled beside Brian and gently took Nick's hand away from his bleeding shoulder, Nick hissed and pulled away. "Its okay, Nick," Kevin soothed, studying the four bleeding, ragged lines. He turned to AJ, "Go get that first aid kit, hurry." AJ nodded and sprinted back to their camp for the needed item.

Brian then noticed the man still standing beside them, he looked up and leaned back slightly. He raised an eyebrow suspiciously, looking the man up and down, "Who the hell are you?"

"Brian!" admonished Kevin, "He just saved Nick's life, show some respect!"

Brian still eyed the man, not totally sure. The man just broke into a smile and spoke, "It's all right. My name is Mick Thomas. I live about a half mile up that-a-way," he said, throwing a thumb to the forest. "I was out hunting when I came upon you," he continued, nodding at Nick. He looked around and noticed the dead fish. "I take it you were retrieving these?" he asked Nick while squatting down and picking one of the dead fish up, Nick nodded. "Well, that would be the problem. Ya see, that bear prob'ly found the scent of these dead fish. He followed it and came up on you takin' them away," he paused, looking at Nick. "He saw you as a threat."

Nick's jaw dropped, "Me?! How could 'I' be a threat?"

Mick shrugged, "You were takin' his food, this is also prob'ly his territory."

Nick just shook his head, then winced when Kevin pulled some of his torn shirt away from his wound. Nick glared at Kevin, who just shrugged apologetically. AJ returned with the first aid kit, "Here ya go, Kev."

Kevin nodded and silently took the kit, opening it. He took out a bottle of alcohol and a roll of gauze and bandages. Howie watched and sighed when it was obvious that no one was going to make introductions.

"Hey," said Howie, stepping forward and offering his hand to Mick who took it, "My name's Howie Dorough." He supplied, shaking the man's hand. Howie then proceeded to introduce his friends, "The guy you saved, and I can't thank you enough," Mick nodded, "is Nick Carter. That's Brian Littrell and that's Kevin Richardson. Oh, and the weird lookin' one is AJ McLean," Howie finished, smirking, "AJ, this is Mick Thomas."

AJ glared at Howie, he then smiled as he reached into his pocket and snatched out a half asleep Squeaker, "And this is Squeaker." Mick laughed, shaking his head. Squeaker just twisted out of AJ's grasp and climbed back into his pocket, going back to sleep.

"Glad to meet ya," Mick smiled, then his brows came together in confusion. "What are a bunch of young guys like you doin' out here?"

They all glanced at each other nervously, not sure if they should tell Mick. Kevin made the decision. "Well,... uh... we-uh..." clears throat "We are kinda a famous music group and... well, some maniac woman kidnapped us and stuck us out here. We've been here for three days now. She wants us to go to some stupid cabin." Kevin shook his head, "She's really nuts."

Mick stared in shock, "Really? I mean, for real? Do you guys even know where you are?"

They looked at each other, Kevin was about to say no when Brian spoke up.

"Alaska!"

They all looked at him in surprise. He shrugged, it just came to him. Mick slowly nodded, "Yeah, that's right. Look, you guys, that lady sounds like bad news. Why don't I go back to my place and radio for the cops?"

"You'd do that?" Mick nodded. "Yeah, go ahead," smiled Kevin, thinking maybe this all could be over.

"Okay," smiled Mick, turning to leave. "You guys be careful and I'll be back in a coupla hours."

Brian watched Mick's retreating form, "Mick!" he shouted, jogging up to him. Mick stopped, "Yeah?"

Brian looked back at his friends, then at Mick, "Thanks," he breathed, "thanks a lot."

Mick smiled, "Hey, no problem. Glad to help."

Brian grabbed his arm, "I mean it, if you hadn'a come along..." Brian trailed off.

Mick nodded his head, then said sincerely, "You're welcome." Then he walked off into the night.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Damn, damn, damn, damn, DAMN! That was getting SO good! The pissed off woman ranted around the small room. That Carter kid was so close to getting torn apart limb by limb... then that damned man showed up! Where the hell did he come from? He said he lived out here. Hmmm... I thought I had this area pretty well scouted out. Well, obviously not! She argued with herself.

He is going to call the cops... The frown on her face slowly turned up into a demonic smile. Oh, she thought to the man, Mick, was it? Well, you should of kept to your own business. It would of let you live longer.

She roughly grasped the radio, carelessly tuning to Jake's frequency. "Jake," she said, her voice a monotone, "you read?"

Crackling static, then, "Yeah, boss?"

The woman sat lazily down in her wooden chair, her face taking on a carefree expression as she absently twisted the radio cord between her fingers, "Hey, Jake-ey!" she sing-songed, "Do you want to have some fun?"

A pause, then, "What do ya have in mind, boss?"

"Oh," she sighed, "Well, there's this guy. He helped our targets, right now he's on his way back to his home to call the cops. What do ya think I have in mind, Jake?"

"You want me to take care of him?" the evil grin was heard in Jake's voice.

"Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!" the woman sarcastically exclaimed. She then sat up in the chair, leaning forward, "Jake, you take care of him, but I don't want you takin' your time, I want it quick. No mess."

"Aw, boss," Jake whined, "What's the fun in just shootin' him?"

"Just do as you're told," she replied icily, "Got it?"

Silence, then a sullen, "Yeah, I got it."

"Good," she smiled, "I'll be watching, so don't screw it up!"



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Mick Thomas walked through the dense forest, going over the recent situation in his mind. How could someone do this to those nice boys? Mick could see in each of their faces a sense of fear, anger, confusion, and helplessness. What this woman is doing is tearing them up inside... and outside.

Mick ducked under a low branch, nearing his cabin. He wondered how he could have missed this woman as she invaded his home. His home, his whole life is the wilderness around him, having lost his family of a wife and two young daughter's many years ago. All he had was the nature around him.

Mick stopped at the sound of a snapping twig behind him, he slowly turned around. Before him was a man in camouflage pointing a gun at him. The strange man with the scar gestured with the gun for Mick to drop the rifle. With a sigh, Mick complied, knowing he had no choice. Mick felt an overwhelming sense of dread befall him. He was going to die, he knew it. He could see it in the man's evil eyes.

"You should of minded yer own business," the man sneered, "then none of this woulda happened."

"I don't regret what I did," Mick replied, standing up straighter, "I would do it all again if I had to, they needed help. I could give it."

The man scoffed, "Well, a lot a good it does ya. You just delayed the inevitable, they will all die, eventually."

"Well," Mick smiled, not deterred, "I believe I gave them some hope. Hope can be the one strength to get you through anything."

The man laughed, shaking his head, "You jus' don't quit, do ya? Say whatever you want to say, old man. For it will be the last out of your mouth." Jake cocked the gun, taking careful aim.

Mick closed his eyes and sent a silent apology to those young men, sorry he couldn't help them more. Then he smiled, it will be nice to see his family again. Opening his eyes, Mick stared into Jake's evil, sneering black eyes. Jake was taken slightly aback at the complete faith and fearlessness emanating from the man before him. He shook it off and shrugged, then pulled the trigger.

The shot echoed through the night, continuing on even after Mick's lifeless body collapsed to the ground. With a smile, Jake turned and walked away.


~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Nick was trying real hard to not pass out. He laid on the ground near the fire with his ripped shirt lying beside him, he stayed still with eyes closed as Kevin used an alcohol soaked handful of gauze to clean his shoulder. Needless to say, it kinda hurt. Nick's jaw was beginning to ache, his teeth clenched tightly together. He took measured breaths, trying to stay calm.

Kevin kept darting concerned glances at Nick's face as he cleaned the wound. He could see the pain he was causing Nick, but he knew it had to be done. The wound could get infected otherwise, causing Nick to have a fever. That was definitely not what they wanted or needed. Looking at the injury, Kevin winced in sympathy. There were four ugly, ragged and deep furrows in Nick's flesh. It looked like when you were scratched by a cat, only about fifteen times as big. Kevin scowled, definitely not pretty and if they were able to go to a hospital, they'd probably need stitches. Atleast they had pretty much stopped bleeding, it was kinda bad for a while there.

As Kevin put the blood soaked gauze aside to reach for the roll of bandages, he sighed. He wondered why all this was happening to them. Then he mentally shook his head, he had a feeling he'd never find out. The way he saw it was this woman didn't even have a purpose in this, she just wanted to do it. We're just here for her entertainment, Kevin sneered, unconsciously letting his anger out on the form he was supposed to be helping.

Nick gasped at the unexpected yank on his shoulder, he opened his eyes and stared up into Kevin's angry face. He shrunk back, perceiving the anger was aimed at him.

Kevin blinked, seeming to come out of deep thought. He gazed down into Nick's wary eyes, then swore to himself. "Aw, jeez. I'm sorry, Nick," Kevin apologized. "I didn't mean to hurt ya, I was just thinking about that damn woman again."

Nick's eyes flicked in understanding, "Its okay, Kev." He breathed.

"Really, Nick," Kevin repeated, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't of done that."

Nick looked into Kevin's eyes, "Its okay, Kev. Really, I understand."

Kevin smiled, then sighed, "Good. Now," he said looking to Brian beside him. "You wanna sit Nick up so's I can wrap his shoulder?"

Brian nodded his head mutely, carefully raising Nick up so that he was sitting, leaning against his chest for support. Howie and AJ looked on, wishing they could be doing something, anything, to help. But for now, all they could do was watch.

"All right, Nick," continued Kev, bandages in hand, "now I'm gonna wrap this up tight. Its gotta keep the bleeding stopped and keep it clean... its gonna probably hurt."

Nick nodded his head, knowing its what had to be done. He sucked in a breath as Kevin began to wrap his shoulder, but beyond the pain, it felt better to have the support of the bandage.

Kevin finished and tied it off securely, "Sorry."

"Kev, it's all right," sighed Nick, sitting up and grabbing his shirt. He pulled it over his head with a wince. "You gotta quit apologizing, a person can only take so much of it, ya know," he smiled.

Kevin looked down, a smile tugging his own lips, "Yeah, okay. I get the hint."

"Hey," AJ suddenly said, "Shouldn't Mick of been back by now?"

Howie nodded, worried, "Yeah, he should. Wonder what's takin' him?"

"Hey! .... I think that's my cue!"

They all became alert at the all too familiar and hated voice, their eyes snapping to the backpack. With a scowl, Kevin reached in and pulled out the radio.

"What do you want?" he growled, no longer caring how he spoke to the woman.

"Aw, Kevvy," she pouted, "I'm hurt. I just wanted to tell you that you shouldn't be expecting Mr. Thomas anytime soon... make that ever."

They froze.

"Wha- ... what do you mean?" asked Howie, fearful of the answer.

"Just that.... I wouldn't be expecting his return," the amusement carried through in her voice.

Brian glanced at his friends, taking a deep breath, "Why not?"

"He's dead."

Each and every one of them visibly paled, suddenly loosing their ability to speak.

"Hello? ... Hello? Is this thing on?" The woman burst out laughing, "Oh, come on! Did you really think that he would be able to help you? Without me knowing? Please, you know better."

Nick blinked, his eyes coming back in focus, "He's... he's 'dead'? How-" Nick stopped, deciding he didn't want to know how. He was told anyway.

"Well, Nick, your good buddy Jake took care of him for me," she chuckled, "One shot, that's all it took. No more Mick."

Nick blanched, the image forming in his mind of Mick's last moments. He shook himself, trying to get rid of the disturbing sight.

"Jake?" asked Brian, catching the reference to Nick. "Who's Jake?"

"Why, he's the man that does my dirty work for me, I believe he's already met your Mr. Carter," she answered, feigning confusion. "Has he not told you of this?"

Brian gazed questioningly at his best friend, who had suddenly found his shirt end very interesting, "No, he hasn't."

"Oh, well," she sighed, "That's no matter, I'll leave you all to rest. Tomorrow is another fun filled day!"

Silence once again filled the small camp. AJ couldn't stand it.

"Mick's dead!" he yelled, astonished. "She 'killed' him! He... he..."

"We know, 'J," nodded Howie, placing a hand on AJ's shoulder and squeezing, "We know."

AJ stared at Howie with wide eyes, "Howie, she- she KILLED him! All he did was help us, now he's DEAD?! This is too real, 'D, too real."

Howie sighed, he was having a hard time believing the kind man was truly gone. "He was a good man, he didn't deserve to die. He came to our aid without even knowing who we are, he just wanted to help. Now he's dead." Howie sank to the ground, stunned, "Are we to blame?"

Kevin sat on the ground next to Howie, "No. We aren't, she is. She's the reason all of this is happening. Its 'her' fault, not ours."

Brian was caught between the shock of Mick's death and the new information concerning Nick. He felt horrible. Mick was helping them, that got him killed, simply helping out his fellow man. It wasn't right. Then, Nick... he's hiding things. Why can't he tell us? Brian held his head in his hands, raking his fingers through his hair.

Nick was relieved when Brian didn't ask any questions, he didn't think he could lie to him. He never was any good at it. Nick looked around and saw his friends in a state of stunned disbelief. None of them wanted to believe that the woman had killed Mick, that would mean that she could easily kill them also, at anytime. Nick shuddered, wincing when the movement caused his shoulder to throb. AJ was right, this was becoming too real. He guessed that they all were constantly hoping this was some dream or joke. Now, with Mick, it became serious. VERY serious. Someone had lost their life.

"All right," Kevin broke into their thoughts, "I think we should get some shut eye. It's been a long day." Kevin's voice cracked with emotion.

They each silently nodded, lost in their whirling thoughts and emotions. As they each laid back, staring up at the gray sky, they wondered what hell would greet them in the morning.

AJ laid with his eyes gazing into the endless gray, night sky. His arms folded and pillowing his head, he let out a restrained sigh, not noticing the wet drop that broke away from one of his chocolate brown eyes and slide down his face. His emotions twisted and knotted inside him, making his breathing hitch. His friends, they were all there with him. He found himself wishing they weren't, that way they wouldn't be subjected to the danger they've faced. They wouldn't get hurt, they wouldn't be scared, they would be safe. He wished this never happened, or that if it had to happen, that it would of been only him alone to be taken. This was hurting him something fierce. He had watched as three of his friends were pulled down a hill, he had watched as two of them were swept down a river and one almost drowned, he watched as a wild animal attacked one of them. All he had done was watch, what good was he? Now a person that was only trying to help, was dead. Murdered. God, why is this happening? AJ felt that he couldn't ask that question enough, not until he got an answer.

With a trembling breath, AJ fell into a troubled sleep.


///////Day4\\\



Dawn broke, but did not wake the five slumbering forms. Not one stirred until the sun was high in the sky, shining straight down on their lax faces.

AJ's mouth twitched, forming a grimace as he squeezed his eyes and moved his head to the side, trying to escape the bright light. Finding it useless, he cracks his eyes open a bit, squinting at the sun above. He sighed and then remembered. He shot up, looking at his friends still sleeping. Oh, God. I was hoping it was all a dream.

But it wasn't. He was still stuck in the middle of nowhere... wait, make that Alaska, and Mick was dead. Murdered in cold blood. AJ shuddered, this was not getting better.

Kevin groaned as the feeling of stiff, tired muscles woke him. Damn, he thought, never thought I'd miss a nice soft bed so much, the ground does nothing good for the body. He opened his eyes and sat up, rubbing his face. Kevin saw AJ awake and the others still asleep. He looked up, Damn, its pretty near midday. We should leave.

Kevin quickly woke the others and prodded the distracted AJ to leave. Soon, each with their own aches and pains, they set off once more for the cabin. The loss of a good soul weighing heavily on their backs.


~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Brian knew one thing and one thing only, he was dead tired. They had been walking for three hours straight since their last rest, it was time for another. Kevin lead them, taking them through the jumble of trees, rocks, and hills. The compass was forever in his hand, it being the one thing that gave them some semblance to where they were going. Brian sighed, he wondered how much further until they reached the cabin, and... what would greet them when they arrived.

He looked back at Nick behind him. Nick's head was down, watching the terrain before him. To Brian, it seemed Nick was coming along pretty well, considering he was attacked by a bear the night before. Nick didn't act like his clawed shoulder was bothering him, but Nick was pretty good at hiding things lately.

Brian's gaze switched to Howie. Howie seemed to be worried, the kind of worry that ate at you. Brian shook his head slightly, Howie didn't need that, none of them did. He'd have to talk to him, make him understand that they'd be okay, even if he didn't quite believe that himself. Things were getting downright crazy, who knew what would happen next.

Looking forward, his eyes fell on the back of AJ. He seemed different since the night before, like something changed in him. It was like AJ was fighting something, what Brian had no idea. He only hoped AJ could handle it and win whatever battle he was fighting.

Brian noticed that Kevin had stopped up ahead and, with a frown, Brian went up beside his cousin. Kevin wore an expression of indecision.

"Kev, what is it?"

"That," Kevin nodded ahead of him. Brian looked and gasped. There before them was an immense wall of rock, cutting down into the earth to create a large ravine, the previous river flowing far below them.

"What do we do?" Brian asked, not seeing a way around it.

Kevin sighed, turning away from the cliff to face his friends, who were now all around him. "The compass indicates that that's the way we go. I don't see any alternate route, there is a small ridge. Maybe we'll be able to cross that way."

Uneasiness showed on each of their faces, Brian stared at Kevin with something akin to shocked fear, "We have to go across 'that'?"

Solemnly, Kevin nodded, "I don't see any other way. Believe me, if I saw a better one I'd take it in an instant."

Silence. Then Howie spoke, "Okay, Kev. Let's do it."

Nick and AJ slowly nodded, Brian still stood in abject fear. He did not like this, not one bit. His fear of heights wasn't helping either.

"Okay, lets do this," Kevin said, forcing confidence into his voice.

As the others began toward the ridge, Brian hung back, frozen to his spot. Nick noticed and approached his friend. "Hey, Bri'. You okay with this?"

Brian couldn't lie, "No."

Nick bit his lip, his eyes flicking from Brian's frozen form to the others, "Listen, it'll be okay. We'll make it, we've come too far to stop now. We have to keep going, if for nothing else but for Mick."

That caught Brian's attention, "Y-you're right, Nick. I'll do it for Mick."

Nick smiled and they both moved to the ledge with the others, but one look down caused Brian to rethink his decision. Nick saw the fear rise on Brian's face.

"How about this Bri', Howie will go ahead of you and I'll be behind. That way you have one of us on either side, we'll take care of ya, Frick. I promise."

Brian slowly nodded his head, his eyes never leaving the two foot wide ledge they were about to cross. It stretched across the ravine, spanning close to fifty feet to the other side. He watched mutely as Kevin took his first tentative step, soon followed by a reluctant AJ. Howie sent a nervous look their way, then proceeded to follow Kevin and AJ.

"Your turn, Bri'." Nick gently urged.

Taking a deep breath, Brian ventured out onto the ledge, making sure to stick close to Howie and Nick close behind him. With his breath caught in his throat, Brian was reaching the halfway point. Each step he took was tentative and careful, not wanting to slip on the loose rocks that were spread like gravel on the narrow ledge.

One such careful step felt the firm rock fall away, causing Brian to quickly bring his other foot down to catch his balance. Brian's breath sucked through his teeth as the ground disintegrated beneath his feet, the rock breaking away. It happened so quick that Brian only vaguely felt the sensation of falling, being momentarily weightless. Then the realization hit him and he yelled out, his arms reaching for the rocky ledge as he fell. He watched as the ledge fell away from his fingers, he closed his eyes, not wanting to see.