- Text Size +
I'm gonna die.

That one thought coursed through Brian's mind as the rock crumbled beneath his feet, his hands reaching but missing the ledge, closing his eyes as a panicked shout echoed around him.

"BRIAN!"

Suddenly, pain shot through his left shoulder and he slammed against the rock wall. Stars flashed behind his closed eyes as his head swam from the impact. Brian shook his head, trying to clear it. What the... Opening his eyes, Brian found himself hanging in the air, the raging river far below. Confused, he looks up.

Nick's hands gripped his one fiercely, his eyes squeezed shut and teeth clenched tight. The upper half of Nick's body hung from the ledge above, only his legs remained on the small outcropping. With a jolt, Brian realized the only thing keeping Nick from falling was Howie, who was sprawled across the ledge, desperately holding onto Nick's legs.

"Nick?" Brian gasped, his breathing short with the fear running through him.

Nick's eyes cracked open, he tried to smile at Brian, but it resulted in a grimace. "Hang on, Bri'. Just hang on," he strained between his clenched teeth.

"Oh, I'm hangin'," Brian replied half-heartedly, the small smile leaving his face as pain again shot through his shoulder. His eyes gazed pleadingly up at Nick, "Get me out of here, Nick, please? I- I'm scared." Another pain and he gasped.

Nick felt like his arms were gonna rip off, he could feel the skin of his injured shoulder tear, fresh blood soaking through the bandage and slowly running down his arm. He bit his lip, Not good, not good. He thought, watching as the red liquid reached his gripped hands. Nick had heard Brian's plaintive voice pleading for him to help him out of this. Bri', I swear, I won't let you go. I promise.

Air shot through Nick's teeth, Oh, God... no, no, no... Brian's hand slipped slightly in his grasp, Nick's own blood hampering his grip.

"Nick!"

"It's all right, Frick. I got ya, don' worry, I got ya." Nick craned his head around as far as he could, "Howie!"

A strained reply, "Yeah?!"

"Get us up! My grip is slipping!" Nick cried, feeling Brian's hand slip again, causing Nick to tighten his grip even more than he thought possible. "Hurry!"

Howie laid face down on the small ledge, fiercely gripping Nick's legs. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't move, if he did he would either lose his grip on Nick or begin to slide on the loose gravel.

"Howie!"

Howie turned his head as far as he could at his name, exhaling in relief as Kevin and AJ carefully approached him.

AJ reached him first and managed to get over Howie's and Nick's forms, kneeling down on the small ledge as he grabbed one of Nick's legs with one hand and a handful of his shirt with the other. AJ moved in controlled motions, his face blank and eyes emotionless.

Kevin carefully crouched over Howie, he wrapped his arms around Howie's shoulders and said, "On three, we all lift. Keep a good hold on Nick, when Brian gets close enough I'll grab him, 'kay?"

Howie nodded, his voice not working.

"Okay, 1... 2... 3!"

Nick felt himself being pulled upwards, the rough rock ledge scraping against his chest. Brian slipped again, "Hurry, you guys! I'm losin' him!"

Hearing the desperation in Nick's voice caused the others to find reserved strength, and Nick quickly rose above the ledge, his hands still gripping Brian's one as Kevin got an arm around Brian and pulled him close to the rock wall.

Brian leaned heavily against Kevin and the shear rock, his breath coming in short pants from both fear and pain. He closed his eyes, trying to calm his racing heart. Too close, WAY too close. His shoulder throbbed painfully, opening his eyes he found Nick still holding his hand in a death grip.

"Nick," he breathed, wincing, "Ya gotta let go."

Nick understood, his hands didn't. He tried to release Brian's hand, but couldn't, his hands wouldn't obey his brian. Kevin leaned forward and gently pried Nick's fingers loose, all too aware of the blood leading from Nick's trembling hands to his shoulder.

"Lets get off this ridge, now," Kevin declared, unable to keep his voice from shaking. They all nodded, the sooner the better.

Kevin kept an arm on Brian, and Howie on Nick as they sidled to the safety of the other side of the ravine, tightly hugging the rock wall to their backs. AJ followed mutely behind, seeming detached from the whole situation.

Brian collapsed to the nice, solid, safe ground. He almost kissed it, almost.

"All right, Brian," addressed Kevin, kneeling beside his cousin, "Are you hurt?"

"Yeah," he groaned, trying to move his left arm and finding he couldn't, "Kev, I can't move my left arm."

Kevin heard the slight panic creep into Brian's voice, "Its okay, Bri'. I'll check it out."

Kevin gently lifted and inspected Brian's arm, stopping when he came to his shoulder. It was slightly misshapened. "I think I know what's wrong, Bri'."

Brian's eyes looked at him questioningly, "What?"

"You dislocated your shoulder."

Brian groaned.

"We have to put in back in place."

Brian groaned again. "And how, may I ask, will you do that?"

"Well," he smiled, "We could do it like Mel Gibson in 'Lethal Weapon' and slam it against a building, or in this case a tree," Brian paled, "Or we force it back into the socket. I'm sorry Brian, either way its gonna hurt like a sonofa-"

"I get the point, Kev."

"Howie, c'mere. I'll need your help," called Kevin.

Howie left Nick's side and kneeled a Brian's head, "What do ya want me to do, Kev?"

"Okay, I'll need you to guide the bones while I push them together."

Howie grimaced, but nodded his head. Brian laid with eyes closed, trying to ignore their conversation, hoping to distract himself from the upcoming procedure. It didn't work.

Kevin gave Howie a nod and then forced the bones into place with an audible pop. Brian's eyes snapped open and a cry escaped his lips. He now lay panting, he didn't think it was gonna hurt that much.

"Bri'...Bri'! You okay?" asked Kevin urgently.

"Oh, I'm just fine and dandy, Kev," Brian wheezed.

Kevin patted his uninjured shoulder, "You rest. Howie, I want you to make a sling for Brian's arm with some of the bandages. I'm gonna see to Nick now."

Howie nodded, his face pale after feeling and hearing the sickening pop of Brian's shoulder. He shuddered, he didn't even want to know what it felt like.

Nick looked up warily as Kevin approached him.

"Okay, Nick, let's see your shoulder."

Nick reluctantly took his shirt off, revealing his bandage, the front soaked red with blood. Kevin sighed, "Ahh, Nick. Does it hurt like before?"

Nick shook his head, but stopped when he felt dizzy. He blinked slowly, trying to bring back his focus. Kevin observed this, "Dizzy?"

Nick almost nodded, but caught himself, "Yeah."

Kevin sighed and brought his hand up to massage the back of his neck, "Sounds like you're loosin' too much blood, Nick. Its stopped bleeding now, I think you'll be all right as long as you don't loose anymore." Kevin gripped Nick's other shoulder, looking into his eyes, "So, take it easy, okay?"

Nick nodded, then swayed slightly. I gotta stop doing that. "I'll try, Kev."

"No, Nick. Not try, you WILL."

Kevin then changed Nick's bandage, being careful to not trigger the bleeding again.

AJ stayed off to the side, standing alone and watching. His eyes were no longer expressionless, they were now filled with anguish. We almost lost Brian... AGAIN! And Nick, too. AJ remembered every detail of when Brian fell. Nick was a few steps behind, but when Brian fell he leapt out for him. Nick had caught Brian's hand but then he slid over the ridge, too. If it weren't for Howie... AJ shuddered.

AJ wrapped his arms around himself, suddenly cold. AJ couldn't take much more of this, he almost lost each of them at one time or other. Images of the landslide, then the river, the bear, now with the ridge each flashed before his eyes... AJ whipped his hands up to his eyes, rubbing them. He couldn't stand it. He looked at the guys, I gotta get away for a little while. I gotta be alone for a bit, gotta sort things out before I go crazy.

AJ took the still sleeping Squeaker out of his pocket, laying him on the ground. He smirked slightly, Damn squirrel'll sleep through anything. He looked one more time at his friends, then turned and disappeared into the trees. I won't go far, I just need to think.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Her pale face brightened with delight. Oh, JOY! One of them is breaking the rules! She laughed gleefully and clapped her hands in excitement. It's about time!

She snatched up the radio, "Jake! One of them has left the group, you know what to do."

"You got it, boss. I'll get Zack to help me out."

The delighted woman fixed her gaze on AJ, savoring the anticipation.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



AJ walked aimlessly, having no direction. The same as his thoughts, they whirled in his head, confusing the hell out of him. I hate watching my friends get hurt and not be able to do anything. I just can't do enough to make myself feel like I am helping them. Nothing seems like enough. They each have had life threatening accidents, how can I help them with that?

AJ shook his head, Just being there should be enough, but I can't convince myself of that.

AJ was abruptly brought back to reality when something grabbed him roughly from behind, throwing him into a tree. AJ grunted when he slammed into the unyielding mass, squeezing his eyes shut as something in his side gave out. He wasn't given time to recover as rough hands twisted his hands behind his back, causing AJ to cry out as his arms and side protested. Something hard slammed into his stomach, causing his air to rush out and his body to double over as far as whoever was holding him would allow.

He gasped for breath, the sound of laughter dimly reaching him past the roar in his ears. AJ forced his eyes open and squinted up at his attackers, before him was a man in a black ski mask and camouflage overalls. He was flexing the fingers of his right hand. The guy behind AJ spoke up in a gravely voice, "Hey, nice one, Zack. Remember to save some for me, though."

"Hey, I won the toss fair and square. I'll take as much out of him as I want."

AJ gulped, I really am not liking the sound of this.

The man behind him chuckled evilly, "All right, I guess its only fair since I got to scare the shit out of the other one."

That caused AJ to pause, Other one?

"Hold him up, Jake." The man behind AJ complied.

AJ saw the fist coming and rolled his head, managing to not take the hit full in the face. Instead, the fist slammed into his jaw. AJ gagged as the taste of blood filled his mouth. AJ, never being one to take anything without a fight, kicked out at the man before him and grinned at the contact and cry of pain. Ha! Take that, you bastard!

Jake watched in amusement as Zack clutched his knee, spewing a stream of obscenities worthy only of himself.

"Zack, are you going to finish this or should I?" Jake asked annoyed.

Zack released his throbbing knee and glared icily at the young man before him, "You think you're tough, huh?" he asked, ignoring Jake, "We''ll just see how tough you really are."

AJ's eyes widened as Zack approached, the man's eyes causing him to involuntarily shiver. AJ doubled over again as the man rained blows into his midsection, hitting AJ in the face a couple of times before backing away, breathing heavily after his efforts.

AJ sagged in Jake's arms with a groan, blood flowing from his nose and split lip. Dragging his gaze up, AJ paled at the sight of the glinting metal in Zack's hand.

"Now," Zack growled, "Let's have some real fun."




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



As it was late afternoon, Kevin decided they might as well stay where they are. He quickly constructed a fire and sat beside it. He was lost in his thoughts when a light pressure on his leg and a squeak startled him. Looking down, he sees AJ's squirrel Squeaker gazing up at him with wide black eyes. Kevin didn't know what to do with the thing so he looked around for AJ. A sinking feeling filled his gut when he was nowhere in sight. He looked to the others, hoping they knew.

"Hey, guys. Where's AJ?"

They all stopped what they were doing and looked wildly around, obviously not knowing. Nick blue eyes grew wide with pure terror. AJ... Oh, God... you didn't... you DIDN'T!

"AJ!" Nick yelled out, the fear easily heard in his voice. No answer. Nick became frantic, he jumped to his feet, ignoring his dizziness, "AJ! Damn it! This isn't funny, AJ!"

Kevin put a calming hand on Nick's back, "Take it easy, Nick. I'm sure he's fine."

Kevin was taken aback when Nick whirled to face him, "No he isn't! Don't you see?! He left the group... he broke the rules!" Nick's voice cracked in memory.

Understanding caused Kevin to pale, "Oh, no."

Nick didn't even hear Kevin, he simply spun around and ran into the trees calling AJ's name.

"Nick! Damn it, your shoulder!" cried Kevin, running after the desperate blond. "Nick!"

Howie quickly helped Brian up and they followed Kevin as he, too, disappeared into the trees.

Nick ran for all he was worth, not knowing where he was going, just knowing it was the right way. I have to find AJ. If any thing's happened to him... Damn it! If I wouldn't of kept my mouth shut about Jake, AJ never would of left the group!

Nick stopped dead at the sound of laughter, his eyes narrowed. He knew that sound. Nick's face turned as cold as stone at the thought of AJ going through what he did. Anger took control over his fear and Nick burst into the scene just as Zack was about to bring the blade down on AJ.

"Nooo!"

Startled, Zack spun around, just in time to see Nick barrel into him. The air left his lungs as they both crashed to the ground, rolling across the ground in their struggle. Zack growled and attempted to bring the knife down at Nick, but Nick grabbed his arm and held it off. Nick's fear and anger coupled gave Nick added strength as he fought the man.

So intent on each other, neither of them noticed the ravine's edge becoming closer and closer. Not until Nick felt the ground suddenly disappear from beneath his head. Startled, he turned and saw the river far below. Well, that looks familiar. he thought wryly as Zack grinned and increased his weight, trying to either bring the knife down or force Nick off the cliff. Nick felt his strength ebbing and had to think fast. He suddenly let his whole resistance stop and kicked up with his legs. He stared into Zack's shocked eyes as he sailed over him and down into the ravine, not making a sound.

Nick scrambled away from the edge, his heart pounding as he tried to register what he just did. He suddenly felt numb, Oh, God... I jus- just KILLED someone... Nick sat, staring at the edge of the ravine in shock.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Jake was surprised when the Carter kid attacked Zack, he simply watched in shock. That was his mistake.

"Let him GO!"

Jake jerked his head at the voice and received a hard punch in the face. He dropped his burden and fell back, stars flashing across his vision. What the hell hit me?

Kevin quickly gathered AJ up off the ground and dragged him away from the man he just hit. He quickly left the man and made his way back to the camp, but bumped into Howie and Brian.

They stared at AJ, shocked.

"Help Nick!" cried Kevin, moving past them. "He fighting with one of them!"

They nodded and quickly raced to find Nick. They found him sitting near the ravine's edge, shaking his head and staring fixated at the edge.

Brian moved forward, "Nick?"

Nick brought his shocked, blue eyes to meet Brian's, "Bri', I-...h- he...I-... ...Oh, God Brian! I killed him!"

Brian's jaw dropped. Howie froze where he was. Brian recovered and kneeled before Nick, "Nick, you had to. Otherwise, it'd of been you. It was self-defense, Nick. Its not your fault."

Nick blinked at Brian, "I- I know that, Brian, but-... You didn't see his eyes..."

Brian traded glances with Howie, "It all right, Frack. We'll get you through this, 'kay?"

Nick nodded, then the ground began to spin. "Bri'..." he breathed.

Brian then saw the wetness on Nick's shoulder, "Nick! Hey, stay with me, man."

Nick managed to come back in focus, but he felt lightheaded, "Bri', I feel funny."

"Yeah, I know, buddy. You're bleeding again." He looked up at Howie, "Help me out, 'D."

Together, they both got Nick to his feet and began back to the camp. None of them noticed the form that watched them, hidden in the trees. Jake sneered, I REALLY hate that kid.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Back at camp, Kevin cared for AJ. AJ was conscious, but in pain. After checking him over, Kevin found two cracked ribs on AJ's right side and other than that, just bruises. AJ was lucky, Damn lucky.

"AJ, hey AJ. You with me?"

"Yeah," AJ mumbled, "What the hell hit me?"

"About a dozen fists, I'd say," replied Kevin sadly.

AJ opened his eyes, "Oh, yeah. Now I remember." He then looked around wildly, "Where's Nick?"

"I don't know, Bri' and Howie are lookin' for 'im."

"But he attacked the guy with the knife! We gotta help him!" AJ tried to scramble to his feet, but was stopped by Kevin's hand easily pushing him back down.

"You're not going anywhere."

Just then, Howie, Nick, and Brian stepped into the camp. AJ and Kevin both visibly sagged in relief.

"He okay?" Kevin asked.

"He's bleeding again."

"Shit," muttered Kevin, crawling over to where they set Nick down. "Nick? You with me? How do you feel?"

Nick lifted his head, "Tired."

Kevin closed his eyes, "Okay, I'll change your bandage and then you can sleep, OK?"

Nick stayed silent. With a sigh, Kevin changed the bandage and then laid Nick down. He was asleep before his head hit the ground.

Brian stared at Kevin, "Well?"

"I think he's still okay, it didn't bleed that much." Kevin stared down at Nick, "But, no more."

"How's AJ?" asked Howie.

"Not too bad, a couple cracked ribs and a lot of bruises," answered Kevin, turning to see that AJ lay asleep. "Other than being uncomfortable for the next few days, he ought to be fine."

Brian spoke, his serious tone catching Kevin's immediate attention, "That guy that Nick fought... he's dead."

Kevin nodded, understanding.

Brian continued, "Nick's not taking it too well."

"We'll have to talk about it tomorrow, we should get to sleep. Its already dark, well as dark as it gets here anyways."

Howie and Kevin settled down and were soon asleep. Brian gazed at his four friends, noticing Squeaker had curled up on AJ's chest. Brian's eyes landed on Nick one last time before he, too, fell asleep.




~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



"You idiot!" Jake cringed, the woman before him was a bit pissed.

"I can't believe you screwed up!" she ranted, suddenly pulling a gun and firing at Jake. Jake jumped, feeling the hot breath of the bullet as it burned passed his head.

"I- I'm sorry, boss!" he cried, actually fearing for his life, "I didn't know the Carter kid was there!"

"I don't give a shit! We're now down one man! It's just you, me and Cal. You just made everything difficult! The only reason I'm not killing you is because I need the man-power! But... if you screw up again, you're dead."

The woman then left the room, slamming the door. Jake sank to the floor in relief. A shadow fell over his features, I'm gonna kill that kid.




///////Day5\\////4a.m.\\\



Darkness actually fell over the land, clouds once again rolling in. The five figures slept oblivious. One figure stirs, awoken by something.

Howie grimaced, feeling something brushing over his arm. Annoyed, he jerked his arm, trying to rid himself of the touch. He became fully awake and frozen to his spot as a coiled weight suddenly slithered onto his chest with a hiss.

Howie slowly opened his eyes.

Suddenly, he couldn't breathe as the fire light played across a long, glistening creature coiled on his chest. Howie stared transfixed into two reptilian eyes, its forked tongued darting out nervously.

Howie didn't move a muscle, What the hell do I do?!