- Text Size +
"Uh-oh?" Brian asked, not sure if he heard AJ right, "UH-OH?! What do you mean, uh-oh?"

AJ looked apologetically at Brian, "He wasn't here when I woke up. I thought you'd know where he is. You woke him up last night, didn't ya?"

"Yeah, but I wouldn't of let him leave!" Brian cried, beginning to panic. "That woman said we 'had' to stay together. We have to find him!"

"We will, Bri," replied AJ, hoping his voice sounded convincing. "Don't worry, we'll find him."

Brian couldn't believe it. Where could Nick of gone? Or more importantly, WHY did he leave without telling us?

"Hey, Kevin!" yelled AJ, bringing Brian out of his thoughts, "Brian doesn't know where Nick is!"

Kevin and Howie came over to join AJ and Brian. "What?" asked Kevin, looking at Brian. "You don't know?"

Brian shook his head, beginning to feel as if it were his fault. I was supposed to look after him...

"Let's split up and look for him," ordered Kevin, "He couldn't of gotten far."

The others nodded and they each took a different path into the trees around them, the morning sun shining at their backs.

Before Brian got far he heard Kevin, "Don't wonder too far!" he called, "Whistle when you find him!"

Brian's sky blue eyes critically searched the area around him, determined not to miss a thing. He had to find Nick. If anything's happened to him, I'll never forgive myself.



~~~~~()~~~~~



After he had traveled a good distance, Nick could go no further. He fell to his knees, just as before, and threw up. Oh, God... I really hate this. Nick pushed himself to his feet and moved away from the mess, trying to distance himself from it before he was sick again. He stood, letting a tree hold the majority of his weight and stared at the ground. His vision still blurred in and out every so often, his head was a constant pain, and he still had trouble keeping his balance. Jeez, why did they have to hit me? he thought with a groan. Why couldn't they of gassed me like the others? They seemed to be just fine, they didn't feel like a train was running through their heads, blowing the whistle the whole way. God, this sucks.

Nick snapped his gaze up, he'd heard a noise. Nick glanced around nervously, leaning further into the tree, wishing he could melt into it. Nick froze, now desperately wanting to fade into the tree as a familiar sound reached his ears, sending a chill of fear through him.

What he had heard was laughter, evil laughter, a sound that Nick recognized all too clearly. He stared at the figure that came out of the foliage before him.

"Hey, kid. Ya miss me?"

No. Nick looked at the man that had 'oh so graciously' caused the hell he was going through right now. It was the man that had hit him, though he was masked then, Nick would NEVER forget that voice. Nick stared at the man, he wore camouflage coveralls and he didn't have his mask on. He had piercing black eyes, black short cropped hair, and a jagged red scar running from just under his left eye down to his jaw. The middle-aged man also had an evil way about him, he almost telecasted the message, 'Beware'. He was not a pretty sight, that was sure. If Nick had seen him on the street, he would have avoided him.

The man moved closer, stopping before Nick's frozen form. He placed his left hand against the tree, by Nick's head. "What's the matter? Cat got yer tongue?"

Intimidated and uncomfortable by the man's closeness, Nick stayed silent.

The man continued, "You know, I do believe that you were told to stay together. Weren't ya?"

Beginning to tremble, Nick couldn't even begin to give a response.

The man smirked at the fear he could see in Nick's eyes. He leaned closer and watched as Nick's eyes widened in terror, telling the man that Nick felt the knife at his throat. The man shifted his feet, "Now, Nick... You didn't do as you were told, what do ya think I should do about that?" he asked, moving the knife to trace the side of Nick's face, causing Nick to flinch and close his eyes.

Nick held his breath as the man ran the tip of the hunting knife down his jaw. He had never been so scared in his life. There was no way that he was able to answer the man, he didn't even think his voice would work at the moment.

The man answered his own question, "Well, the boss told us that we should only scare ya the first time ya broke the rules, letting ya know the second time you wouldn't be so lucky. But... I don't know. You think I should listen to her?"

The man stopped the knife at Nick's shirt collar, using the tip to move the navy colored material aside, letting the steal blade rest on Nick's collar bone. He looked into the frightened blue eyes that stared back at him, his own eyes glinting in mirth. "Or... " he continued, "...should I do more than jus' scare ya?"

Nick watched the man's haggard face as it looked at him in amusement. Nick swallowed, suddenly finding it hard to breathe. He closed his eyes as he felt the pressure of the knife increase. Oh, God... please, PLEASE... don't let me die...

His eyes snapped open with a gasp. Nick stared at the man in shock. The man just laughed. Nick felt a stinging pain. The man had cut him. He could feel the blood pulse out of the small cut. Yes, it was small, but still... he had actually cut him.

The man looked down at the small cut, lifting the knife up and waving it in front of Nick's shocked face. Nick paled at the sight of his own blood on the knife's blade.

The man smiled, "Didn't think I'd do it, did ya?"

Nick numbly shook his head, the first response he had given since the man had approached him.

"You know, that was fun. I think I should have some more fun..."

Nick only stared as the man brought the knife toward him again, to his throat. He closed his eyes and turned his head, the only thing he could do to avoid it. Right when he thought it was all over, a blessed sound reached his ears. The sound sent relief and fear through him simultaneously. Brian...

"Nick!... Nick! Can ya hear me?!"

The man jerked his head in the direction of the call, Damn it!

Nick looked at the man with fear, no longer in fear for his own life, but for Brian's.

The man turned back to Nick, giving him a wink, "Well, kid, I guess I should be going. You remember what I told you... And another thing, my name's Jake... Remember it..."

With that said, Jake disappeared into the forest once more. Leaving behind a reeling Nick, slowly sliding to the ground as his legs gave up the job of supporting him.



~~~~~()~~~~~



Brian called Nick's name again, hoping for a response. Brian stopped, straining his ears for anything that would signal his friend's presence.

Sighing, Brian continued walking. He changed his path to go around a large tree and called Nick's name, looking to the side. He switched his gaze forward and called again, but stopped, his mouth hanging open...

Shaking his head, Brian broke out of his stupor. "Nick!" he cried, running to his friend who was sitting on the ground leaning against a tree. Brian fell to his knees before Nick, anxiously looking into his face, which stared straight ahead, out into the forest behind Brian.

Brian looked to where Nick stared, and after seeing nothing but trees, turned back to Nick and waved a hand in front of his face, "Nick! Snap out of it, will ya?!"

Nick blinked, hearing Brian's voice. He looked into his friend's frenzied face, deciding right then and there that he would not tell Brian or any of the other's what had just happened. He would not be the cause of more worry.

"I- I'm fine, Brian," Nick stammered out, getting himself back in control and trying to block out his recent visit from 'Jake'.

Brian cocked his head to the side, "You sure?"

"Y- yeah... I'm sure."

"Good," Brian sighed, then, "What the hell did ya think you were doing?!"

Nick looked surprised.

"Why did ya wander off? You had us worried sick! And you know that woman said we were supposed to stay together."

Nick flinched at the last remark, his hand rubbing his collar bone.

"Hey, you sure you're OK?"

Nick nodded, removing his hand. He was glad he had a dark shirt on.

"So..." Brian insisted, "Why'd ya take off?"

Nick thought, "I- uh, I- wanted to check the area out. See some of what we had to walk through. Maybe figure out where we are," Nick gave Brian a sheepish smile, "I guess I got lost."

Brian studied Nick, a doubtful expression on his face, but ended up nodding his head, "You tell us where you go from now on, got it?"

"Got it," Nick smiled, wanting the subject closed.

Nick jumped at a loud whistle, the sound doing nothing good for his headache. He glared at Brian's smiling face.

"Sorry, Kev told us to whistle when we found ya."

"Well, you could warn a guy, ya know!"

They soon heard the sound of loud footsteps trudging through the undergrowth of the forest, Kevin and Howie emerging from its depths.

"You found him!" cried Howie, racing forward. He looked at Nick as Brian helped him to his feet. "You okay?"

Nick nodded his head, wincing. He still had that horrible headache.

Kevin watched Nick, Thank God he's all right, I was driving myself crazy looking for him. Fearing we'd never find him-... Kevin mentally shook his head, he couldn't think like that now, they had to get moving. "Where's AJ?"

Brian glared at Kevin. He didn't even ask about Nick. What's with him? "He should be coming, why?"

"We need to get moving, we've wasted time."

Brian's jaw dropped. 'Wasted time'? Looking for Nick was NOT a waste of time.

Nick took the others' discussion as a distraction and quickly checked his cut. He pulled his shirt collar away and saw that it had stopped bleeding, only darkening his shirt in one small spot. The cut was a couple inches long, but very shallow. Nick covered it back up and left it alone. He tried to forget what had happened, but Jake's ugly face kept popping into his head, his evil laugh echoing through his mind. No, he would not forget Jake.

Howie looked around, brow furrowed, "Where IS AJ?"



~~~~~()~~~~~



AJ made his way through the dense forest, pushing tree branches out of his path. He listened as they snapped back behind him. He silently pictured Howie behind him as they snapped back and ended up hitting Howie in the face. Just like on those TV shows, AJ smirked.

His face turned serious as he thought of the reason he was traipsing through the trees. Nick... jus' where the hell have ya gotten yerself to now? AJ scanned the forest as he walked, calling Nick's name.

Nothing.

AJ sighed and continued calling, soon getting to a point that he didn't expect a sound in return. So when he got one, it surprised him.

He paused, looking around and listening for a repeat. He got it, a rustling and a weird crying sound to his right. He ventured in that direction, being cautious. The sound stopped, AJ stood under a tree and crossed his arms, waiting.

Suddenly, he heard a squeak and then something landed on his head, grabbing hold of his highlighted hair.

"Jesus Martha!" screamed AJ, totally freaked out. His hands flew to his head, falling on a small furry body. Please... let it be a nice fur ball...

AJ got a hold on the small body and gently pried it out of his hair. As he brought it in front of his face, he prepared himself for what he might see. What he saw... wasn't what he expected. Two dark, innocent eyes stared back at him. A squirrel?

AJ chuckled, he then patted the squirrel on the head and set it on the ground. He waved his hands at it, trying to shoo it away. It just sat there and stared at him.

"Go on, get! Shoo!"

Still, it sat there staring. AJ decided he'd be the one to leave then. He began to walk away when the squirrel squeaked and jumped on his leg, climbing into his oversized jeans pocket.

You have got to be kidding me. AJ looked at the squirrel in his pocket. "You aren't going to leave me alone, are ya?" The squirrel just blinked at him, then made itself more comfortable in AJ's pocket.

"I'll take that as a 'no'," he sighed, then he thought of something. "That couldn't of been you makin' that noise I heard," he said to the squirrel. "So who did?"

AJ made his way back to the bushes where he had heard the weird noise. He stopped before them and took a deep breath, then parted the bushes and looked behind them. AJ saw a baby animal, a BIG baby animal. He thought it looked like a deer, but it seemed to be too awkward looking to be a deer. It had a big long head, two big ears, and four long, big kneed legs. It stood there staring at AJ. It is kinda cute. AJ reached a hand out to pet the animal, but he jerked back when it suddenly made that weird noise again.

AJ perked up when he heard a distant whistle. Someone has found Nick! Then a loud crashing sound came from behind AJ. He whipped around and stared at a much, MUCH larger version of the animal he had just attempted to pet. This one didn't seem very happy as it pawed the earth, nodding its antlered head angrily at AJ.

AJ's eyes widened as the realization of what he was staring at hit him. Oh, shit... Without a word, AJ turned on his heels and bolted to where he had heard the whistle, running as fast as he could, hearing the animal chasing after him, the startled squirrel gripping the inside of his pocket as he raced along.



~~~~~()~~~~~



The sound of something coming toward them loud and fast caught the boys' attention. They all stood facing the way they had come, the sound coming closer.

Kevin glanced at Howie, Howie glanced at Brian, Brian glanced at Nick, Nick glanced at... damn, ran out of people. Nick glanced in the direction of the noise. It was almost upon them as they all stood frozen.

AJ burst through the trees, running all out straight for them. They all waited, expecting AJ to stop. He didn't. They all stared as AJ ran right past them, their heads swinging with him as he raced passed.

AJ yelled...

"MOOSE!!!"

...and then he was out of sight.

Howie looked at Kevin, confused, "Moose?"

Suddenly, a large moose burst out of the trees, just as AJ had. Their eyes widened, "Moose!" they all cried as one. They all jumped into a run, following the same path as AJ.

Nick had a bit of trouble keeping one foot in front of the other and stumbled. Brian was there to catch him, though, and he continued on with Brian's hand clamped around his elbow in support. They all ran, casting nervous glances behind them at the large moose in pursuit. They soon were short of breath, beginning to tire, but thankfully so was the moose. It soon slowed and then stopped, staring at them before turning and heading back the way it had come.

The guys all slowed and then stopped, each bent over with their hands resting on their knees.

"A... J..." gasped Kevin, "What... the hell.... did... you do?!"

AJ leaned against a tree, catching his breath, "I just wanted to pet it."

Kevin looked at him, incredulous, "Pet it? You wanted to pet 'that'?" Kevin threw a thumb behind him.

"No way! I'm not stupid, it was a baby one."

"A 'baby' one?" asked Howie. "Didn't ya think the 'parent' would be nearby?"

"Well," said AJ, slightly sheepish, "the thought didn't exactly cross my mind."

"Obviously," commented Kevin.

Kevin took the compass out of his pocket, studying it closely, "Okay, we go in that direction." He said, pointing to his right.

"What?" asked Brian, still holding Nick up who was hunched over after the run. "You want us to leave, now?"

"Yep," replied Kevin, not noticing the contempt in Brian's voice. "We've lost a lot of time. If we don't leave soon, we won't make it to that cabin in time."

"But Nick needs to rest. Hell, we all do after that run," argued Brian quietly.

"No, no I don't," said Nick straightening, pulling away from Brian's support. "Kevin's right, we've wasted enough time. We should try and make some of it up."

Brian watched as Nick swayed ever so slightly on his feet. Nick still isn't fully recovered from the concussion. He needs rest, why can't Kevin see that? Brian made a move to steady Nick.

"I'm fine," said Nick sternly, stopping Brian. Nick's headache had not left yet and his balance was still a little off, but atleast he could see straight now. "Kevin, where do we go?"

"That way," he replied, again gesturing to his right. Nick nodded and began to follow Kevin. Soon so did Howie and AJ, followed by a reluctant Brian.



~~~~~()~~~~~



She shook her head. Chased by a moose... These five men were going to put on quite the show. Her face became emotionless as she heard the crackle of the radio. She reached for the receiver and spoke, "Report."

"Yeah, this is Jake. Just thought I'd let ya know that the Carter kid split from the group. I showed him the error of his ways, though." She could picture Jake's face as she heard the evil laugh through the radio. She smirked, Jake's personality was a lot like her own. Demented and evil. Amused by the fear and pain of others. She liked him. He was her favorite of her three men that she had hired.

"Yeah, I saw you. You scared the shit out of 'im," she chuckled, then became serious, "But... I specifically told you NOT to harm them the first time. It was a direct order, you disobeyed it."

For a moment their was silence, "Hey, boss... I'm sorry. It won't happen again. It's jus' that the kid... I don't know, I jus' don't like 'im."

The woman thought for a moment, coming to a decision, "All right, I'll let it go this once. But ... if it happens again..."

She left the rest unsaid, Jake could easily imagine the consequences. He knew what she was like, she was the one and only thing that actually scared him. But... Man alive, was she ever beautiful! She had a slim figure that she showed off with snug, close fitting clothes. Her shoulder length ebony hair curled in at the ends, her complexion was pale, her lips were a natural deep red, and she had ice blue eyes. Her eyes... the lightest shade of blue that he had ever seen, but... the way they changed so easily, along with her expressions... It caused even him to shudder. She was, in short, totally mad. He liked that in a woman.

"No prob', boss," he finally answered, he always called her 'boss', since he did not know her name. Hell, nobody knew it. "You can count on me."

"I should hope so," she replied coldly, ending the conversation.

She gazed back at the screens before her, they filled the small room. It was one of three rooms in the cabin the BSB were painstakingly trying to reach. She watched as they walked through the forest, she watched... her eyes became bright when she recognized the area they were traveling through. Ooh... this should be interesting...



~~~~~()~~~~~



The sun was beginning to set, casting the forest in a hazy, dim light of yellow. It was getting late. Five figures marched doggedly on, following one full of determination and an absolute mission to stop the person causing all their problems. The damned person that dragged them out... wherever this place was. The person that put his friends--his younger brothers in danger.

Nick had long ago drifted to the back of the line, not able to keep the same pace that Kevin tirelessly set. He would have been last in line if it weren't for Brian staying behind him. Nick was aware that Brian was watching him, looking over him like a mother hen. Brian knew that Nick was not up to code, the concussion still effecting him.

Howie also seemed to know of Nick's problem, his concern going unnoticed as he silently and carefully kept an eye on Nick. He had also slowed his pace, hanging back with Brian and Nick, walking a few feet ahead of Nick, Brian a couple of feet behind Nick.

Howie looked up ahead at AJ and Kevin, both a good twenty feet ahead. The sound of Nick stumbling caused him to take action.

"Hey, Kevin!" he yelled, getting Kev's attention, though he still kept walking.

"What?!" he called, not even looking back at Howie.

Howie frowned, "Don't you think we should stop for the night?!"

Without hesitation, Kevin answered, "No! We keep going! We have to make up lost time!"

"Kevin!" cried Howie, not believing what he just heard, "It's too dark out to keep this up! We can't clearly see the ground!"

Howie could vaguely see Kevin shaking his head, "We keep going!"

With a sigh of frustration, Howie sadly glanced back at the struggling Nick. He continued to follow Kevin, trusting his friend's judgment.

As they walked on, the sky darkened to a point that they could barely see the ground they walked on. A layer of clouds had silently rolled in, containing little threat of rain, but covering the sun and blackening the landscape. As Brian had noticed before, it would have been quite bright out if there were no clouds. But as there were, the dark night had fallen.

Nick forced himself to keep going. His only coherent thought was to put one foot in front of the other, to keep going, never quit, can't be weak and hold up his friends, but... Nick found himself desperately wanting to go to sleep. He had felt it ever since the moose had chased them, his shear will was the only thing keeping it at bay.

Brian worriedly watched his best friend struggle to keep going. Nick was too stubborn for his own good. Nick couldn't go on much longer, his body couldn't take much more.

AJ trudged behind Kevin, barely keeping up with him. He couldn't figure out why Kevin was pushing so hard. AJ believed they had plenty of time to get to that cabin, they didn't need to be walking at night. But Kevin was... well, Kevin. He was their older brother, the father figure. They all trusted his guidance and as such, they all followed him still, even though they each have their doubts at the moment. So AJ followed him, walking behind him as he turned up the tree laden hill they were walking across at a slant, avoiding a tree.

Howie yawned, becoming tired. They couldn't go much further without sleep, Kevin had to realize that. Howie came upon the same tree as Kevin had and turned below it instead of above. Almost immediately, he felt the earth under his feet begin to give, disintegrating. The darkness had shielded the weak ground, keeping the dormant landslide from view. Howie's weight was all it had needed to begin its much awaited descent down the steep hill. Howie gave a startled cry as he fell and slid along with the fast descending dirt and debris.

Nick was only a couple feet behind Howie and had followed him below the tree, hearing his cry and catching a glimpse of his white shirt as he disappeared from view.

"Howie!" he cried, then he stared at his own feet as the ground moved beneath them. Nick lost his footing and crashed to the ground on his back, the landslide growing and beginning to sweep Nick along with it.

"Brian!" Nick cried, desperately looking behind him as the landslide began to pull him down the hill.

Brian had looked up from the ground at hearing Howie's and then Nick's cry. He dived forward without thought and managed to grasp Nick's outstretched hand, he stared into Nick's terrified eyes as the ground continued to try and pull him down to join Howie.

Brian had stopped Nick's downward fall, but with wide eyes he noticed the ground he laid on was also merging with the widening landslide. He felt it give at his shoulders, traveling down to his chest, his waist, soon his knees. Brian began to be pulled down the hill. He desperately grabbed at a nearby sapling, but the small tree easily gave in to the strong force of the landslide.

Brian locked eyes with Nick, both knowing they were no longer in control. They yelled in fear as the landslide finally grasped and pulled them down, down into the dark reaches below.