- Text Size +
12

At first AJ stood there, right outside the bathroom door; not sure if he should pretend that he didn't hear what he had just heard. He watched as Howie hung up the phone and noticed how he was visibly shaking. Howie, one of his best friends was terrified about something. That kind of helped him to make up his mind. He took a deep breath and walked over to where his friend sat. When Howie noticed AJ walking towards him, he tried his best to pull himself together. He didn't want AJ to think anything was wrong. Everything was wrong though, and Howie wished he had the power to turn back time and just let things be. He had NO idea what was in store for him but whatever it was it wasn't going to be good. That much he knew for sure.
Was it possible that he was really the reason for someone no longer aloud to live? If what the guy said was true, could he really be responsible for someone's murder?

"D?" Howie jumped at the sound of his friend's voice.

"Hey J" He said standing up and folding some clothes he had left neglected on the floor. Besides he felt the need to keep himself busy doing something, anything; otherwise he might just start screaming and never stop.

"D, who was that on the phone?"

"Oh...my Mom. She sends her love" He kept folding, unaware that AJ was shaking his head.

"Why are you lying to me man? I know that wasn't your Mom" Howie turned to his friend with a look of surprise. He was never any good at lying, the guys loved to call him out on it too, whenever they had the chance.

"Sure it was, I'm gonna go run to get a Coke. You want a Coke?"

"Howie...what the hell is going on? I know that wasn't your Mom"

Howie just blantantly ignored AJ as he searched his pockets for change. "Howie!"

"Dammit AJ! It's none of your business who that was anyway!"

Howie's odd demeanor matched with the sudden outburst just about did it for AJ, who sat down on the bed, worried. "Howie who is threatening you?"

Howie stared at AJ for a few minutes, refusing to answer. He couldn't answer, for fear of his own life and his friend's. One man was dead already because of him; one stranger. He found himself traveling to the part of his brain that was trying to cope with that. How would he ever get over knowing that he caused someone's death. Was is something he was supposed to get over? Maybe it wasn't even the truth. For all he knew it could have been that look a like guy making the call in the first place.

That was it. It WAS that Look a like guy. How obvious! What better way to get money out of someone then to fake their own death and then blackmail them about a frame up. Genius!

"Are you even listening to me?" AJ had now moved next to Howie and had placed a hand on his shoulder. I wonder when he did that? Howie thought as he stared into his friend's concerned eyes.

"AJ, it's nothing okay? Please just leave me alone about this. It's really none of your business"

AJ shrugged finally giving up; for now anyway. Once Howie saw his younger friend give up, he exhaled a relieved breath. Temporarily convincing himself that for now, everything was okay.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Nick was restless; anxious and restless. Closing his eyes he let those harsh words his Mother had spewed at him once again flash in his brain. She was pissed off! Saying things like those boys are not a good influence on you and how dare Howie take you to such a place. He had to bite his tongue from telling her if you think that's bad too bad you didn't see the time when...fill in the blank. For a 17 year old, he has had a pretty exciting life.

Brian had decided it was best to hang out in his cousin's room for a little while leaving Nick to himself. A place that he hated to be. Luckily within seconds of thinking that, AJ came waltzing in looking anything but happy, once again giving Nick somehting to do.

AJ walked in and sat on Brian's bed in a huff. "Something is wrong with D"

Nick turned to face his friend, lying on his belly hands holding up his chin, "What are you talking about?"

"I overheard him talking to someone..."

"Yeah his Mom called" Nick said a little bummed and quickly losing interest in the conversation.

"It wasn't his Mom"

"Uh huh...yeah it was"

"No it wasn't Nick...he was lying" Once again Nick's interest was peaked, "Howie...LIED?" He asked sounding a bit like a five year old finding out there was no such thing as Santa.

"Yeah kid, he lied"

"Why would he do that?"

"Not sure, all I know is he was being threatened"

"Why would you think that?" Now Nick was sitting up, looking like he was ready to burst off of the bed at any minute.

"I heard him say soemthing about being framed"

"Oh my gosh...AJ who do you think it is?" AJ shook his head, "No idea but I intend to find out"

"How?"

"That I haven't figured out yet"

"Do you think anyone knows?"

AJ shook his head, "No way man. If he were gonna tell anyone it would be me"

"Oh please, he is as close to me as he is to you"

"Whatever, did he tell YOU anything then?"

"Not really. I tried to convince him to call that tabloid place"

"The Inquisitor?" Nick nodded, "But then he threw me out of the room saying his Mom was on the phone"

AJ sat buried in his thoughts, thinking maybe this was a little more serious than he percieved it to be. Thoughts about calling the police or security crossed his mind, but he had dismissed it. Right now they were in such deep shit with management and security this would only add to it all.

If only he would have gone with his gut, maybe things would have turned out different; but he didn't and quickly all thoughts about calling the police or security left his mind. He could solve this little mystery on his own...well almost on his own.

"What are you thinking?" He looked over to find Nick with a very curious expression on his face; part constipated and part amused. It made AJ laugh, "What?"

"You look like you have to fart or something"

"That's gross but now that you mention it..." AJ braced himself for the worst but nothing came, "I'm just teasin you Bone"

"I think maybe WE should call the Inquisitor" Nick said as he walked toward the phone, the action made AJ a little nervous. "NO! I mean wait, don't you think we should have at least a clue as to who to talk to?"

Nick sat with phone in hand, pondering what AJ had just said, "Yeah...think we can trick D into telling us?"

"I don't know"

Kevin bursting into the room without even knocking brought an abrupt end to their little conversation. He made himself comfortable on one of the plush chairs leaving AJ and Nick annoyed.

"Ever heard of knocking?" Nick asked the older man sarcastically.

"Uh, I just figured out that the two of you were in here alone and I wanted to put a stop to that before you did anything stupid and made things worse"

The two younger men glanced at each other, Was this guy a mind reader too on top of everything else? was pretty much the thought the two were thinking.

"Why would you say that?" AJ asked defensively, that's when Nick realized that maybe Kevin had just overheard their entire conversation. Funny mind reading came to his head before eavesdropping.

"I don't know...just seemed like the right thing to say and obviously I was right" He said raising an eyebrow at Nick who still seemed at a loss for words.

"Where's Howie at?" Nick finally asked.

"He's in my room with Brian, that's why I figured I should come check on the two of you"

"We don't need a babysitter Kev" AJ's posture relaxed, Kevin hadn't overheard anything.

"Well maybe not but I would feel better if we all hung out together, talked things through, maybe did something productive" He said standing up and walking towards the door. "My room in five minutes guys...okay?" Both boys nodded.

When Kevin left the two stared at each other, "Guess maybe we should just go to his room before he blows a casket" AJ said standing up ready to leave.

"Yeah good idea"

"I don't think we should tell anyone about our suspicions just yet" AJ said to the blonde who once again had the phone in his hands.

"I agree, our secret!" He said crossing his heart over his chest.

"Cool let's go!"

"I'll be there in a second, I want to call my Mom real quick"

"Okay but hurry!"

Once AJ was out of the room Nick took a deep breath and picked up the phone, dialing up the front desk's number. "Hello...I was wondering if you could give me the number to the main office of the Inquisitor"