- Text Size +
*Hey guys sorry about the wait. I'll try to get another chapter out to you by Wednesday! Thanks for reading :) *



13
By the time AJ arrived in Kevin’s hotel room, the oldest band mate had already begun to nervously pace. He walked into and sat down on the bed next to Brian who was biting his fingernails.
“Where the hell is Nick?” Kevin asked stopping his pacing long enough to shoot AJ a death stare.

“He’s talking to his Mom”

“That’s weird, what he didn’t get yelled at enough? He felt like going for round two?” AJ shrugged at Brian but then glanced over to Howie who was sitting over by the window, staring off. He didn’t look good at all, not that AJ ever really took notice of things like that, but still Howie was pale and seemed off; like a man who had something to hide.

On the short walk over from his room to Kevin’s, AJ had decided that no matter what, he was going to get to the bottom of things. Howie would eventually let his guard down and talk; it would only be a matter of time. Once Howie knew he had his best friend on his side, maybe he would feel better.

He was just about to get up and walk over to where Howie sat staring blankly out the window, when once again Kevin started asking a ton of questions.

“Okay, I really have been thinking a lot about this D…”

Howie looked up when he heard Kevin say his name, “Yeah?”

“Yeah…and I think as long as we just kind of apologize…everything will be smoothed out. When we go into Jive let me do all the talking”

Howie didn’t answer, just once again turned his attention over to the window. “So do they really want to see us then Kev?”

“Yeah; they called Johnnie before he could even call them”

“That’s usually not a real good sign right?”

“I don’t see what the big deal even is; I mean they have all kinds of people on their stupid ass label. People who have done a whole hell of a lot worse”

“That’s true AJ, but this is different. We are for the younger fans”

“I’m sorry I screwed everything up” Howie said still looking out the window. “I really am so sorry” “Howie, we all make mistakes, it’s no biggie. We will recover. Like Jay said, it could be a lot worse”

Howie turned to his friend and nodded; if only you knew the story Kevin. It is about as bad as it can get. He heard his brain screaming.

He wasn’t really listening to what Kevin was saying; he was too busy being lost in his own thoughts. He found himself wondering what it was that the person who was blackmailing him really wanted. Would he call for money? Or did he want something else? What if it was something that Howie couldn’t get for him. Then what? Would it put his family in danger? His friends?

“Is that cool with you Howie?” Once again Howie looked over and nodded at Kevin. He would just have to trust that what he had agreed to wasn’t that bad.

“Okay then that’s the plan guys” Kevin said finally sitting down; signaling the end of their little meeting. Brian put on the television as AJ made his way over by Howie’s side.

He sat down next to his friend and smiled, Howie smiled back. Not a word was exchanged; there would be time to talk later. Besides, AJ knew that if Howie was going to open up to him, he wouldn’t do it under the watchful eye of Kevin. No, this conversation would have to wait until tonight, in the privacy of their own room.

The room was quiet temporarily until Nick came running in. Like a hurricane, Nick just had a way of blowing into a room. It was very uniquely Nick. So, all eyes landed on him when he barreled in, like a battery just charged and ready to go.

“You missed our meeting” Kevin said matter of factly from the bed.

“Sorry…I was talking to my Mom”

“Again?” Brian said in a kind of half chuckle.

“Yeah…she wasn’t done yelling before. She wanted a second go around…J…can I talk to you for a second” He nodded at AJ.

AJ was amazed that nobody picked up on this blatantly suspicious behavior. The kid had I’m lying written all over his face.

“Sure” He stood up and pat Howie on the back as he did so, as if letting him know we would be talking later.

Nick grabbed onto AJ’s arm and dragged him all the way to the door; once again no one even gave them a second look.

“What is the deal?” AJ asked pulling his arm away from the blonde.

“I did it”

“You did what?”

“I called” He didn’t even have to finish the rest of his statement. AJ immediately knew what he was talking about. He grabbed Nick’s arm this time and pulled him close, “I thought we weren’t going to do that yet man!”

“I know but I did and the guy had some interesting things to say to me”

“What did they say?”

“I can’t tell you here” He said motioning to the rest of the guys who were still ignoring them. Except for Howie; he was glancing at them suspiciously. Hoping against hope that he wasn’t the main topic of their discussion.

“Well when do you plan on telling me then?”

“Hey Kev… AJ and I are going back to my room”

“I really think we should all stay together” This time it was Howie who spoke up, “I mean…don’t you think it’s best that we all stay together?” He even stood up and moved toward the younger members of the band.

AJ and Nick both looked at each other. “Awe come on D…it’s not like we are going to set the place on fire or anything”

“I don’t know….it’s a possibility” Brian joked which didn’t help any.

“I think Howie is right guys, I really think we should stay together”

Nick was just about to protest when there was a knock on the door. It made Howie jump about ten feet in the air. His heart actually stopped. What if this was it? What if whoever had killed that one guy was behind the door, ready to kill someone else.

Suddenly he felt an urge to run, run past his band mates and open the door before one of them got hurt. He did just that, he almost tackled AJ before he had a chance to open the door, actually knocking his friend to the ground.

“Jesus D! What the hell is your problem?” AJ asked annoyed and nursing his writs after Howie had tackled him to the ground. Everyone was standing around AJ who was obviously in a huge amount of pain.

“I’m so sorry AJ…it’s just that I thought…”

“I think my wrist is broken” Howie gently grabbed his friend’s arm and sure enough his wrist was swollen; his fingers quickly swelling as well.

Brian ran to the small refrigerator to grab some ice while Kevin opened up the door to let in their manger who, when noticing AJ on the floor, Howie squatting down at his side, looked less than pleased.

“I have a feeling I don’t want to know what the hell just happened, but whatever it is just tell me it’s not your damn fault this time” He said to Howie, who couldn’t even make eye contact.

“AJ fell going to answer the door, we think his writs might be broken” Kevin said taking charge of the situation which the rest of the boys were grateful for. Johnnie Wright moaned, possibly even growled depending on how active your imagination could be.

“Oh well isn’t this just FANTASTIC!” He screamed into his hand which was gripping his head.

“It really hurts” AJ said now almost crying from the pain. Nick stood and watched as Kevin ran over to ice their friend’s wrist. Brian stood beside AJ on one side while Howie who was at a loss for words remained next to J on the other.

“DO you really think it’s broken?” Johnnie directed the question to AJ, who only nodded now small tears forming on his eyes.

“Okay…I’ll call security and they will take you to the hospital”

“Can I go with him?” Howie asked.

“No friggin way! You need to be at this damn Jive meeting. Brian you go with him” Brian nodded secretly relieved that he was spared having to go to this meeting from hell. Nick looked visibly disappointed, “Oh don’t even Carter! We wouldn’t even have to GO to this meeting if you had not been dumb enough to follow Howie into that damned strip club!” Johnnie helped AJ to his feet in one swish and guided him over to the bed, “Someone will come to get you in a second” He said rather calmly to AJ before turning to everyone else, “And we are due at Jive in about an hour…you think we can stay in one piece until then?” They all nodded.

“Great! Glad to hear it”

When Johnnie left the stress didn’t go with him. “God AJ I’m so sorry”

“Why the hell did you tackle me like that?”

“I just…I…”

“Howie, what is going on man?” Now it was Kevin’s turn to ask.

“Nothing, I just thought I heard something”

“Yeah you heard someone knocking on the door D” Brian laughed trying his hardest to break the tension. Even Nick didn’t smile at that one.

“I’m sorry” Howie said again, ignoring everyone but AJ who was now thankfully calmer. “Felling any better?” Kevin asked once again going to check the swelling. Nick had now moved over to the dresser and sat down watching the scene in front of him, choosing not to say a word.

“Yeah the ice is numbing the pain a bit”

“Good”

“That was one hell of a way to get out of a meeting J” Nick said, this time everyone smiled.

“Yeah, I guess so”

“Hey Howie… will you tackle me next?” everyone laughed except for Howie who felt so incredibly bad that he almost wanted to cry himself.

“It’s okay Howie, no real harm done. I’m okay and I still think we need to have a nice long talk when I get back”

Howie looked at his friend, “Take care of yourself AJ”

He was hoping that by the time his friend came back from the hospital he would be so drugged up that he wouldn’t remember the conversation they were supposed to be having. About ten minutes went by before a member of security came in to escort both AJ and Brian to the hospital.

“I’m sorry J” Howie made sure to get in one more time.

“I know”

“Good luck guys” Brian added as they walked out of the door. Boy didn’t he really get off lucky, Nick couldn’t help but envy his best friend, he would have rather poked himself in the eye with an electric eel then go to this meeting.

“I can’t believe I did that to him” Howie said to the floor.

“Howie enough, it’s okay. What is your deal man? You just aren’t acting like yourself”

Nick looked at his two older friends and almost spilled the beans about everything. The phone call he made, the information he was given and told NOT to tell anybody. He had so wanted to let AJ in on everything. He had managed to set up a meeting with someone who claimed to know something, he hadn't wanted to go alone and knew with AJ by his side, it would be easier to allude security; now he had no idea how or what he was going to do. He wanted to console Howie, let him know that he was on the way to figuring everything out. But he kept his mouth shut as they left for Jive, unaware that they were being watched while a small black car followed AJ and Brian to the hospital.