- Text Size +
*lookie another update ;) lol*

21

They all sat around a small table in Howie’s hotel room, surrounded by boxes of Chinese food barely touched. All of them dealing with their situation in their own unique way. Brian called his parents shortly after getting back from the police station. He wanted them to know from him personally before they saw anything on the TV. They had already talked about getting a lawyer of their very own.
Nick just kind of sat quietly playing with his food and shaking his foot nervously. He had no intention of calling his parents at all but of course Johnnie did.

Howie’s thoughts also went to his family. How does he call his Mother, a devout Catholic woman who never has seen the inside of a police station in her life, well except for when she would spontaneously bake cookies for the charity events they would sponsor, how does he call her up and say…Mom I’m in trouble. Big trouble.

He wasn’t even sure if he was or not. It seemed that they were suspecting Kevin more so then him which was totally unexpected. Kevin? Did he even know Jessica by name? He always referred to her as that pretty secretary at Jive. The one who has a crush on you Howie. Why on earth would he be paying her rent?

The more he thought about it, the less it made sense. He began to suspect the people who had set him up. Why were they now setting Kevin up as well? Of course they had also done that to AJ hadn’t they? Didn’t he insist that he did not drug himself up? That he was not an addict? Isn’t that why he was currently forced to do rehab?

“What are you thinking Howie?” Brian asked from across the table.

“Just…something not’s right about this whole Kevin thing”

“I know. I was thinking the same thing”

“I’m worried about him” Nick said putting down the spoonful of fried rice he had momentarily thought about eating.

“Yeah I am too” Nick looked over at Brian, secretly hoping that they would have laughed and called him paranoid.

“I don’t even know where he could be”

“Maybe home? Did you try your aunt’s house B?”

“NO…but if he’s not I don’t want them to worry”

“I want to go see AJ”

“I don’t think they are going to let us go see AJ anytime soon” Howie looked over to Brian, “We need to find your cousin”

“I know that…but how?”

“You have NO idea where he would go? None?”

“I don’t think He WOULD go. It’s Kevin. He would never just leave without telling anyone where he was going”

None of them knew what to say to that so they all just kind of stared at each other.


~*~*~*~*~*~
He was growing restless now. Restless and nervous. He had been gone a long time, at least it felt like that, and no one had come to explain to him why. They treated him just fine. Didn’t rough him up, didn’t hold a gun to his head, just kind of escorted him out of the hospital and told him to get into the van.

He stupidly went along.

If he had realized that he was being taken against his will he probably would have put up more of a struggle, but he knew these people. Or so he thought.

“Kevin”

At the mention of his name he stood up, “Who are you and what is this all about?”

“I knew you would have a ton of questions”

“Well then good for you. I want to leave, is this some kind of joke?”

“Hardly”

“What am I doing here?”

“Seems you are in a bit of trouble Kevin”

“Trouble?”

“Yes”

“How so?”

“Police think you may have been responsible for arson”

“What?” Kevin stood up holding his head like he was going to pass out. He was just so confused about everything.

“Yes, the condo you helped Jessica pay for just kind of exploded”

“Excuse me?”

“You know. Jessica? The one who…” The man stopped talking as the door once again opened.

“What are you doing here?” Kevin asked the guy who was now walking across the room right towards him, “What am I doing here? I don’t have time for these games”

“Kevin this is NOT a game. You guys are in a ton of trouble; I’m just trying to help you out”

“I’m confused”

“The police are looking for you Kevin. They think you murdered someone” If Kevin was shocked before he was just appalled now. Did he hear right?

“Murdered?” He said it slowly grimacing the whole time. The word tasted like poison in his mouth.

“Yes, there was an explosion”

“He told me about that already” He said pointing to the man who had broken the news about Jessica’s place.

“She didn’t survive”

“She was in the place when it exploded?”

“Yes and she wasn’t the only one. Brian, Howie and Nick were there to”

“Oh my GOD! Are they okay?”

“They are fine…thankfully”

“What were they doing there?”

“They wouldn’t say”

“Why do the police think I did it?”

“Because they saw your name on the deed to the place”

Kevin sat down on his cot very slowly, this could not be happening. Not to him. He had done it to help her out. She came crying to him in desperation one day, he hadn’t told anybody. Not one soul. He thought he was doing the right thing. Now she was…dead?

“Jessica is dead?”

“I’m afraid so, they just found her remains in the rubble. Even now as we speak the police are drawing up a warrant for your arrest. It’s best you just stay here and lay low”

“But that will make me look guilty I have to go to the police and they…”

“No, Kevin trust me on this I am your lawyer” Grimes said putting a gentle hand on Kevin’s shoulder. “It’s best to just lay low until a little more investigating can be done”

Kevin placed his hands over his eyes to shield the tears that started to form there, “Do the other guys now about this?”

“Yes, I told them not to make contact with you”

“What about my family?”

“Not yet, we are trying to keep it out of the press for as long as we can”

Kevin nodded as Grimes started walking towards the door, “Kevin I will be in contact with you, don’t worry”

Once again Kevin nodded at a loss for words.

Once Grimes was out of the door he was stopped by the man who had initially told Kevin the bad news, “So, they did find the body then?”

“Not yet…” Grimes pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number, “But now they are going to”

He paused until the man he was calling answered. “It’s done. I talked to him…should we start the next phase?”

“Did he believe you?” The man with the gruff voice said.

“What do you think?” Grimes said smiling.

“Okay good….then yes have the men start working on the next part of this plan”

“You’re the boss”

He hung up and then gave a picture to the man who was waiting patiently for his next set of orders.

“So we do what was originally talked about then?” Grimes nodded.

“Okay”

“I better get back to the hotel or the others will start to wonder where I went”

“Sounds good” the man said staring down at the picture of Brian.

“Keep him comfortable” Grimes said to one of the men positioned outside of Kevin’s room.

“Will do”

“I’ll keep in touch” Grimes said as he walked out the door and into the sunshine.