- Text Size +
*thank you so much for being patient with me. I hope you are still reading this story :) *

24

AJ squirmed around in his chair sweaty and anxious until the door opened and Brian walked in. The relief that fell over him when he saw a familiar and friendly face almost made him burst into tears. Brian looked the same way, almost giddy to see AJ. The two men walked towards each other and embraced, “You look good AJ. How are you holding up?”

“We have a lot to talk about Rok” AJ whispered, careful that no one would hear what he was saying. That man Nick being carried out of the room saying ‘they will do this to you too’ still echoing in his ears.

“I know…tell me about” Grimes walked towards both men and broke up their embrace, “Gentlemen let’s sit down and talk shall we?” he pulled up a chair at the end of the table and Brian and AJ sat across from each other.

“I am so happy to see you guys, when can I get out of here?” AJ asked Grimes with pleading eyes. He had to be on the outside to be of any help to them.

“It’s hard to say actually, I will ask them before we leave today”

“But I thought that was why you are here, to get me out!” He didn’t mean to raise his voice but he was desperate. The other people gathered in the waiting room turned their attention towards him and his little outburst.

“Jay relax man…we will get you out of here but first I have to know…has Kevin been here to visit you?”

“Kevin? No… why?” He saw an exchange of looks between Brian and Grimes that made his blood run colder than it even was before. “Is something wrong?”

“We can’t seem to find Kevin”

“He’s missing?” Now the temporary relief he was feeling from seeing Brian was gone; once again replaced by the fear of what was to come.

“Now I didn’t say missing” Brian started squirming regretting having said anything to further stress his friend out. “I just said we can’t find him. He probably took off to do some thinking, you know Kevin”

“Oh come on Brian…you don’t believe that. You think something happened to him” AJ said now standing up and taking a seat right next to Brian. “We need to talk but not here. Bri, you need to get me out of here”

Maybe it was the way that AJ said those words or maybe it was the look of terror in his eyes, but whatever the case Brian felt a whole new sense of panic rise in his gut. “AJ what is it?”

“I can’t say here Rok, people are listening” Grimes looked over to both boys contemptuously, “Excuse me, but it doesn’t help if you whisper and sneak around me too so tell me what is going on?”

Brian turned towards their lawyer, “We need to get him out. Can’t you maybe go see if you can do something about that?”

Grimes looked ready to argue but instead closed his paperwork and stood, “Fine, besides I can tell you guys need to catch up, I’ll see what I can do” With that being said he strolled out of the waiting area in search of a nurse or doctor leaving AJ and Brian time to themselves. “I think Kevin’s life may be in danger” He mouthed not even allowing himself to say the words out loud and careful to make sure no one was looking his way. Brian at first didn’t understand what he said so AJ was once again forced to mouth it, “I think Kevin’s life is in danger”

That time Brian figured it out and asked out loud, “Why?” AJ could only answer with a head shake. “Did you talk to someone? Were you threatened?” Brian asked this time in a barely audible whisper. “I need to get out of here Brian, before something really bad happens” Was the only thing AJ felt safe saying.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
He stood at the door wanting to leave, face whatever consequences he was meant to face. He was a Richardson and no matter how bad things got, a Richardson never ran away from their problems. At first he thought it was a good idea, lay low until they could figure something out. Mostly to protect his family, they would be devastated if they knew what he was going through. Never once would they think he was guilty of the crime he was being accused of, but still it would take a toll on his Mother that he was unwilling to bear.

Having a few days to think about it though, he started to change his mind about things. Face the music; explain the circumstances and the truth would indeed come out. After all he was nowhere near the crime scene and there was NO evidence to trace him back to what had happened.

So that is why he began to grow restless just waiting for someone to come back to talk to him so he could let them know he intended to leave. What he didn’t understand though, maybe what he was trying to ignore all together was the fact that he was locked in the room they had him hiding in.

Why on earth would they need to lock the door on him? He knew he was stubborn and all but that was a little ridiculous. Then he had reached for his cell phone only to find that it had mysteriously disappeared from his bag. By that point he had already kind of figured out that something wasn’t quite right, but when he banged on the door repeatedly asking for someone to open up and let him out only to be answered by silence, he became scared.

He heard the voices right outside his room, he knew they were there but yet they ignored him. “I hear you people! Let me out of here now!!” He said pounding with both fists on the door; so loud that his voice echoed through the room. They ignored him again, to which all he could do was let some choice four letter words spew out of his mouth loud enough so that they could hear them.

He walked over and sat on the bed worried sick about what was going to happen. Briefly thinking if he was here, were the others to? Had they all been dragged into this? His lawyer had said that Brian, Nick and Howie were in that house at the time of the explosion, what if they weren’t okay?

“Oh my God!” He stood up and once again started to pound on the door “Let me out of here now!!”

The man on the other side of the door walked away from the yelling and dialed Grimes number.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*
After a few minutes of silence, AJ stood and motioned for Brian to follow, “Where are we going? Can we leave this room?”

“Yeah I think so, we’ll know I guess if they stop us” So Brian hesitantly stood up and followed AJ out of the meeting room without anybody giving notice. “Let’s go back to my room, maybe we could talk there” He said once down the hall a little ways.

They walked slowly towards AJ’s room, glancing at the people sitting in their own rooms staring at the wall or talking to themselves. “You don’t belong here man” Brian said as they reached the room, where AJ led his friend in and closed the door behind him, “I’m not sure if they will let this door stay closed but at least I can buy us some time”

“What’s going on AJ? Why do you think Kevin is in trouble?” AJ recounted what had happened as quickly and quietly as he could, skipping over minor details but letting Brian know about Bolten.

“AJ that is insane”

“I know it is, but now suddenly Kevin is missing”

“Don’t even say that Jay, he’s fine. He has to be”

“Brian you have to find this Bolten guy. WE have to find this Bolten guy”

Brian nodded just as the door to AJ’s room swung open. A nurse was standing there looking at the two men suspiciously, “There you are, we have been looking for you Mr. McLean….no visitors allowed in the rooms I’m afraid”

“Sorry” AJ said standing up and walking past the nurse who once again had a suspicious look on her face. He didn’t know who to trust in this place, he didn’t trust anyone. As they approached the meeting area where they were earlier they heard Grimes yelling at someone on the phone, “I don’t care, just do it!” He immediately cut his conversation short when he saw the two boys enter the room, “Was that about me?” AJ asked hopefully.

“Uh…no, sorry. I don’t think it’ll be as easy as we think to get you out of here AJ. They aren’t fully convinced that you are clean”

“That is ridiculous”

“They seem to think that it’s not ridiculous at all”

“Well then how damn long do I have to stay here for?”

“Not too much longer, maybe another three days”

“God, I can’t spend another three hours in this place let alone three days” He turned to Brian, “Rok please!” Brian feeling sorry for AJ in light of all that he had heard turned to Grimes, “There really isn’t anything we can do about this?”

“Sorry there isn’t. My hands are tied on this one” Before AJ or Brian could argue their case any further the nurse walked in with a police man. They walked over to AJ to which Brian stood up defensively to help, “What are you doing?”

“Mr. McLean needs to go back to his room; I’m afraid he needs to be isolated for a few more days”

“Isolated? Why?” Brian grabbed onto the guard who had AJ by the arms. “Because of this” She said holding up a small vile, “We found it in his room just now, but you know that already don’t you?” Brian looked confused so he turned to Grimes who walked over to look at the vile. “I don’t even know what that is let alone what you are talking about” Brian said totally disgusted with the whole situation.

“This is a vile of crack!” The nurse said then finished talking to the police not even looking at Brian anymore. “I caught these two sitting in AJ’s room, they looked like they were hiding something so I did a random check and that’s when I found it, under his bed”

“I have no fucking idea what the hell is even going on! I don’t do drugs!!” AJ screamed as he was slowly being led away by two men who had come to help.

“My guess is he got it from that guy right there” The nurse said pointing at Brian who was still in shock with how quickly things were unfolding, “I don’t even know what that is” He said once again as the police man walked over to frisk him, “We’ll just see about that” The uniformed man said feeling his pockets, “What do we have here” He said slowly reaching into Brian’s jacket pocket and coming out with two more vials of crack. “I have no…it’s not…God, Grimes” Brian was near tears and AJ was at a loss for words as well.

“Brian don’t say anything else right now….”

Suddenly another police officer now was on him placing his hands behind his back, “you have the right to remain silent…” Which he did, in a total state of shock as AJ was led down the hall into isolation.