- Text Size +
26

Kevin sat on his cot with his fingers intertwined; a look of worry so deeply etched on his face that he feared when he made it through this he would forever bare the wrinkles as proof of his ordeal. Maybe it wasn’t even a when anymore; now it was fast becoming an ‘if’ and that thought alone almost made him throw up right where he was sitting.

Things like this didn’t really happen. People didn’t really get kidnapped and framed for murder; this was only a product of storybooks by author’s who had incredible imaginations.

When he had finally wore himself out yelling to the people who had ignored him on the other side of the door, his knuckles red from knocking, he realized it was a desperate situation. No longer was he in hiding, he was being kept from being seen. Two very different things.

The first one he would have had control of, the second one he didn’t.

The man who had at first ignored his yells had then finally made an appearance at the door; letting Kevin know that perhaps he was right to be worried. He had walked in forcefully and locked the door behind him.

“I want to leave, what is going on here!” Kevin had demanded to know as he walked towards the door ready to push the man out of the way and run for it.

“Kevin….you don’t mind if I call you Kevin right?” The man said, leaning against the wall and taking out a cigarette.

“You can call me whatever the hell you like, just let me the hell out of this room!” The man laughed. Kevin eyed him carefully trying to figure out if he could win if a fight broke out. Normally it would have been no contest, he was a big guy who worked out and had the muscles to prove it, but this guy also worked out. He could tell by the huge arms the guy had on him. He was also nearly three or four inches taller than Kevin was.

“You are trying to figure out if you could take me down aren’t you?” The man said slightly amused.

“How did you know that?”

“It’s my business to know what people are thinking. I get paid a lot of money for it; you might as well have a seat Kevin. I know you have already figured out you are not going anywhere anytime soon” More out of shock Kevin did what he was told. He took a seat on the cot and watched the man as he leaned against the wall and continued to puff on his cigarette.

“Don’t worry Kevin, you aren’t going to be hurt or anything, we just need you out of sight for a while”

“Who is we?”

“That is unimportant”

“Yeah maybe to you but not to me” The man laughed again, “Yeah I guess you’re right about that. Well, since you are soon going to have some company I guess I can tell you I am talking about your lawyer”

“Company?” Kevin asked sitting up a little straighter, trying to figure out what was coming next.

“Yes, that should make you happy. You won’t be alone any longer. Lucky you!”

“Who is it?” He bit his bottom lip then as the man threw his cigarette on the floor and stepped on it.

“You know what I think is funny? Even though you aren’t related you all have the same habit of biting your lip when you are nervous. All five of you do that…very interesting”

“Is it one of the guys?” The man nodded.

“Why are you doing this to us?” He asked when it appeared that his visitor was leaving him once again with a ton of unanswered questions.

“Kevin…now you know if I told you I’d have to kill you right?” He looked over to his prisoner and smiled when he saw the look of deep concern on his face.

“Relax, I am only joking…believe me this is something you will actually thank us for later” He said and then he opened the door half expecting Kevin to charge at him, according to his profile that would be something he would do. He stood with his back turned to him for a minute almost wanting Kevin to do it, but let out a sigh when nothing happened.

“Guess you are too nervous to try to tackle me huh?” He said slowly turning around and looking at the Backstreet Boy sitting on the cot.

“I would have if I didn’t know about my visitor” He said through clenched teeth.

“Ooh of course, now that makes sense. Take care Kevin, he will be here shortly”

That was almost two hours ago; Kevin thought to himself wishing he knew what was to happen next. By process of elimination, he had assumed it was AJ who would be showing up at his doorstep. It made sense now; AJ was set up just like he himself was. He found himself feeling guilty for ever believing that the kid had done drugs. It must have been frustrating for him.

He started to formulate a plan of his own, with AJ he would figure out how to get out of the room and then break free and run to the police, maybe they could even find a phone lying around somewhere and call for help. He was sure the guards that kept watch outside his room had phones. He heard ringing every once in a while. So all he would have to do is call for help and then…

He stopped abruptly when he heard footsteps approaching his door; walking over to it he stood and waited. Maybe he would tackle the bad guys as soon as AJ was brought in.

But it wasn’t AJ; and that in itself threw him off.

Brian was pushed into the room with talk of a reunion coming from the smartass who pushed him. The door was then quickly locked behind him. Brian and Kevin stood staring at each other for a few minutes, words escaping them.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Howie and Nick were making their way towards the Inquistor building via cab. Sneaking out was getting easier and easier every time they tried it. Howie couldn’t help but feel like maybe no one was even caring if he left anymore. When they had snuck out, not even one bodyguard was waiting for them. They ran out of the hotel like two bats out of hell and then decided to get lost in the middle of a crowd before finally hailing a cab and making their way to the building that they hoped would hold all the answers they needed.

“It’s gonna be hard tracking Bolten down” Howie said looking out the window as the numbered streets just kept going higher and higher. He really felt like he was way in over his head now, not knowing what would even happen once they did find the man who supposedly knew what was going on.

“We should have waited for Brian to come back from the hospital before we left” Nick said tapping his fingers nervously on his knee. “I mean now he’s gonna be alone. I don’t like that D”

Howie looked over at his young friend and smiled, “He’ll be okay. He told me he was just gonna be waiting with AJ until we came back” He felt horrible for lying to Nick but he had to do it.

“Good, because I don’t think I could take it if something happened to him. It’s already all my fault that AJ was hurt”

“Nicky, it wasn’t your fault; it’s whoever the hell is doing this to us”

“Yeah that Bolten guy, I might just have to smack him around a bit when we find him” The look on Nick’s face coupled with what he had just said normally would have brought about a laugh to the guys but the only thing Howie could do was nod in agreement.

They drove on in silence right until the time when they got to the traffic light up the street from their destination, “I’m scared Howie” Nick confessed. Howie looked over at his friend and placed an arm around his shoulder, “I am too Nicky”

“I just hope we can find him”

“Me too. He doesn’t work their anymore according to that woman I talked to earlier but I bet she would know something. Someone has to know something”

“If Bolten doesn’t work their anymore Howie, then why are we going there?”

“Because I have no idea where else to go”

The ringing of a cell phone made both men jump just as they reached the main building of the Inquisitor. Nick bent over to the driver to pay him as Howie looked at the phone; there was no way he was going to pick it up.

“Who is it?” Nick asked as they both made their way out of the cab and onto the street. “It’s not Dave is it? You shouldn’t answer it if it is”

“It’s not Dave, it’s Johnnie” Both boys looked at the phone as if it was going to start yelling at them at any minute.

“What should we do?” The sound of silence made them both let out a sigh of relief, “Maybe he’ll leave a message”

“He’s gonna be pissed at us for leaving. I think our career is over Howie”

Howie had a better idea of what that phone call was about. It probably had something to do with Brian’s arrest. Most likely he wanted them all to meet the problem being that one was missing, one was a drug addict and now one was a drug dealer. This was getting way out of hand and as much as he didn’t want to admit it, he knew Nick was right. Their career was fading away.

The phone rang again, not that Howie was surprised. “He’s not gonna stop until I answer Nick”

“Are you going to?”

“No! Come on he said taking his phone and throwing it into the garbage can”

“Wow D! I am impressed”

“Nicky listen to me, you stay right next to me at all times I mean it”

Nick grabbed Howie’s arm, “Don’t worry I will”

“Let’s go” He said and taking a deep breath, he opened the door to what he hoped was the truth; as his cell phone chimed in the background buried under trash.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
All AJ could do was rock back and forth in the very small room he was forced into at the hospital. It was the closest thing to a rubber room he had ever been near. “This will make a funny story some day” He chuckled to himself. He had to laugh because if he didn’t he would have lost his mind. The stress was overwhelming him. Never in his life had he felt this desperate; this ready to pack it in. Thoughts of suicide as he was led away from his friend overcame him. Maybe that was the only way out of this mess.

But then again maybe that is what the bad guys wanted. “Well screw you people because I am NOT going to kill myself!!!” He yelled at the wall.

“AJ?” He looked around his room convinced that now he was hearing voices.

“Who said that?” He asked standing up and walking towards the voice. It sounded warm and familiar.

“AJ that is you isn’t it?” Again AJ recoiled and looked around hoping to see the person matching that voice.

He walked towards the far corner of the room where there was a little window. Maybe the voice was coming from outside. He walked over to one of the chairs next to his bed and placed it by the window and climbed up to take a peek.

Sure enough he saw her head, just barely, “Who are you?”

“AJ listen, we are going to try to get you out of there but you have to listen to me”

“I’m all ears go ahead” AJ said hopefully not able to conceal his excitement at the thought of being rescued.

“Someone is going to come in and give you some dinner, there is a key to your room taped under the tray as well as a key card to let you out of the ward” She stopped and for a moment AJ thought maybe he hallucinated the whole thing.

“Are you still there?” He asked desperately.

“I am…but I have to go, they can’t know I’m here but this has gotten out of hand. Anyway once you open the door you are gonna have to try to sneak out. Unfortunately you are on your own at that point…” Once again she stopped abruptly. He heard people’s footsteps right outside the window and became fearful that something had happened to his savior. He was afraid to call out to her again just incase there were people watching.

“AJ I have to go… good luck”

“Thank you” He answered as he watched her run away back through the small wooded area that surrounded the hospital.

Now he had a means to escape but how would he be able to do it without anyone knowing?