- Text Size +
3

Howie walked towards the elevator like a man on a mission. AJ had a hard time keeping up, "Where's the fire D?" He was a little concerned about his friend's sudden personality change. One minute kidding around, the next wanting to go on an excursion to the gift shop.

Howie relentlessly hit the elevator button at least fifteen times. "You know you always make fun of me when I do that" When that failed to even get a smile out of D, he grew even more worried, "Howie" He put his hand on his friend's shoulder, "Is everything alright?"

The elevator doors opened and they both walked in. Howie rubbed at his arm, he hated elevators, if even one fan got in with them, it could be brutal. "Dave is going to kill us you know" He looked over at AJ, he had forgotten to even let security know he was leaving. Like he forgot he was famous.

"Eh, they'll live..so you never answered me man. Are you okay? Why do we need to go to the store suddenly?"

"I need to buy something"

"No duh... really? I thought we were just going to window shop for toothpaste" Howie looked over at AJ's smug expression, he wished just sometimes he wouldn't have to be so damned sarcastic about everything. Now he wished he had gone alone. Why invite AJ? He had no clue.

The elevator doors opened up to a very quiet lobby. There were a few people sitting around reading papers, but no one seemed to notice the two men or care for that matter. Still Howie and AJ, both by instinct, put their heads down and walked into the shop. The magazines were displayed against the front wall so they didn't have to venture very far into the place. Howie let his eyes scan the mags, looking for the correct one. He was surprised at how many magazines had their faces on the cover. Especially the teeney bop ones. Nick was all over the place.

"How could he not know who we were?" He asked himself. AJ looked up, "What?" Continuing to look at the different magazines he shrugged off his friend, "It's nothing" Then his eyes landed on what he was looking for. He picked it up and stared. His mouth dropping open in total shock.

"What is it D?" AJ walked around Howie to get a look at what had his friend in an uproar. "It's him" Howie couldn't believe it, but the man standing on the ledge was the same man he had talked to just the other day. Wearing the very same outfit.

"Howie, please tell me you didn't drag my ass here just for one of these gossip magazines"

Howie looked over to AJ and showed him the picture. "SO Nicky killed himself huh?" He laughed but when he saw how ghastly white Howie had become he pat him on the shoulder, "Come on D, we know it's not true. Nick is upstairs"

"I know that's not Nick" He grabbed the magazine and made his way over to the counter to pay. "You're buying that trash?" Howie didn't answer, just waited for the clerk to ring him up. She gave him an odd look. That now familiar look Howie recognized as the moment of recognition. Her face went down to the magazine he was purchasing, "Oh God! It's not true right?" He smiled at her as she gave him his change, "No it's not true sweetheart, I just thought he'd get a kick out of seeing himself" She laughed.

AJ made sure to exchange a brief smile with the girl as he wandered back out into the lobby after D. He started for the elevator's but turned to see Howie walking towards the front doors. He ran after his friend right before he left, "Howie where the hell are you going now?"

"Back to Jive"

"What?"

"See ya later"

"What, D...want me to come with you?" Howie stopped, "No, you better go back upstairs and let them know I went so no one has a cow" He made his way towards the doorman as the guy hailed a cab for him. The whole time AJ looking on confused.
~*~*~*~
In the cab, Howie found he couldn't take his eyes away from the picture. When did this happen? Was it shortly after their talk. "Oh God, maybe it was my fault. Maybe I pushed him over the edge"

"Excuse me?" The cab driver looked at Howie through the front mirror.

"Oh sorry, I was talking to myself" The driver nodded and smiled. He opened up the magazine to the article that accompanied the picture.

Youngest member of the Backstreet Boys takes a plunge

He read through the fluff piece rolling his eyes at the things they were saying. "How do these people sleep at night?" He grumbled under his breath. The close ups they had were definitely Nick but that picture of him standing on the ledge was that kid from Jive. Howie would bet his life on that one.

"We're here" The cabbie said as he stared back at Howie, who hadn't even noticed that the car had stopped.

"Thanks man" He gave the cabbie a $50 and asked him to wait until he came back out.

"Hey buddy, throw in another $50 and I'll do your laundry while I wait" Howie laughed. He rolled the paper up in his hands and walked back into the Jive offices.

The place bustled with the usual business of a typical day. Tons of suited men and women wearing short skirts and high heels talked about the different acts that they had just found and the best way to market them. The air conditioner was still not working to full capacity but it was definitely cooler then yesterday. Then he saw Jessica sitting at the main reception desk talking on the phone and scurrying through her date book. He walked over and placed his arms on the counter, waiting patiently for her to get off the phone.

The magazine he had placed on the counter accidentally fell on the receptionist, which caused her to look up. Her facial expressions spoke terror until she realized it was Howie who threw that at her. She smiled up at him and looked a bit surprised. The minute she was off the phone he apologized, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to have that fall on you"

"Not a problem...so what can I do for you? Are you hear to see Mr. Fink again?"

Howie shook his head, but she kept talking. She seemed nervous, "Because he is away on last minute business today. He canceled all of his appointments"

"No, I'm not hear to see him" She looked up all the while biting her bottom lip.

"Oh, okay...then what can I do for you?"

"I don't even know exactly" finally that did the trick as she let out a small chuckle.

"Okay...maybe you just couldn't handle being away from me"

He winked at her, "Of course. Actually I was wondering if you could tell me a little about him" He took the magazine that she had laid on her counter, back into his hands and showed her the picture on the cover. She took it in her hands and looked very carefully at the picture, "That is Nick, I think you know more about him then I do" She gave the magazine back to Howie.

"NO it's not Nick. It's that guy that was here yesterday"

"Howie, I don't really have time to play guess what that Backstreet Boy is trying to say so.."

"This guy, it's not Nick. It looks a lot like Nick but it's not him"

"Okay...and?" She seemed to be getting annoyed now.

"I was hoping you could tell me who it was"

"Howie that is the Inquisitor"

"I know...but this guy was here yesterday and he was talking to you" She shook her head and once again leafed through her day planner. "I don't know what you're talking about"

"Did this guy kill himself here yesterday? Did he jump off this building?" She looked up at him and laughed. It was not a relaxed laugh, more like an alarmed one. "Howie darling, have you lost your mind?"

"Jessica, I saw you talking to him yesterday as I was leaving. I just wanted to make sure he was okay. He seemed very upset yesterday" The phone rang and she gladly picked it up, "I'm sorry I have to get this" She said putting her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone. It was clear she was signaling him to go away but he didn't.

When she was done on the phone she gathered up some papers and made her way around the receptionist desk, signaling that her conversation with the Latino was over.

He started to follow her as she made her way towards the elevator, "Jessica I saw him, he was crying under a desk. Then he is seen on a ledge. I just want to make sure he is okay, if he didn't kill himself here, then where did this happen?" She decided to ignore him now.

"Jess...please"

"Howie, I need to go. I swear to God I don't have a clue what you are talking about okay? I have to go" He stopped following her and watched as she pressed the elevator button incessantly willing it to get there faster. Just like he had done earlier at the hotel. When it came she happily walked in and didn't even look his way as the door closed.

"Why the hell would she lie?" He asked himself over and over again on the way back to the hotel. It made no sense. None of this did.