- Text Size +
4

By the time Howie reached the hotel room that Brian and Nick had shared, he was met with four pairs of questioning eyes. Well, three pairs of questioning eyes and one pair of murderous ones.

"What the hell were you thinking going out there by yourself?" Dave, the head of security asked while circling Howie like a shark out for the kill.

"Sorry, I was just being spontaneous"

"Well, it was a dumb thing to do. I expected better from you Howie, you know the drill"

"It won't happen again"

"Damn right it won't happen again. None of you leave this place without my knowledge. Got it?"

They all nodded, and with a huff, Dave left the room. "He was mad a little" Brian smiled at D.

"So, what's the deal bro?" Now it was the boys turn to circle around their friend. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"Not really" Nick noticed the rolled up paper under Howie's arm and went to grab at it, Howie recoiled, "Come on D. I heard I killed myself! How cool is that!?!"

"Not cool at all Nick. Nothing about suicide is cool"

"Relax D, the kid is still alive and well" AJ leveled his gaze at Nick, "For now at least" Nick stuck his tongue out and grabbed the paper that Howie had so generously handed over to him. He walked over to the bed plopped down and stared at himself on the ledge of the building.

"SO, why exactly did you feel the need to go back to Jive? It's that secretary isn't it? What's her name?" Brian snapped his fingers and looked up at the ceiling trying to recall the name.."Jessica" AJ finished for him.

"Right Jessie, do you have the hots for Jessie?" Howie rolled his eyes. He really didn't feel like dealing with the immature ramblings of a bunch of teens.

"I was hoping she could give me some information about that picture"

"What the one of Nick?"

"It's not me" all heads turned to Nick, when he saw them all looking at him, he continued, "This picture isn't me, this guy is WAY older then I am" He threw the magazine down in disgust.

"I know that's not you. I was trying to find out who it was" Now Brian lifted the magazine off the floor and sat next to Nick staring at it, "Wow it really looks just like you. A long lost Carter?"

"You never know there are like a billion of those things running around"

"Hey!"

During the joking, Howie's serious somber mode made him let out a heavy sigh, "I saw that guy at Jive yesterday"

"You did?" Howie sat down on the bed opposite Brian and Nick while AJ took a seat right next to him, "Yeah I did"

"But if you saw him yesterday, then it can't possibly be him on the ledge, I mean do papers really get their info that fast?" Howie shrugged.

"The guy was upset. He was crying, totally distraught over something then I see this picture"

"It's gotta just be a coincidence" Brian passed the picture over to AJ now. He had gotten a quick look at it in the shop, but he wasn't paying much attention to detail. He squinted, "this is definitely Jive D"

"It can't be, they acted like it was just a normal day"

AJ held the paper to Howie and pointed at the corner, where he saw a small yet unmistakable logo. The logo of Jive.

"This is really weird. I don't understand" Howie mumbled.

"Maybe they are just trying to keep a low profile or something" Nick seemed like he was ready to drop the topic, like it was boring him, he rolled off the bed and went for his Gameboy.

"But even the news cameras didn't pick it up. I mean it's in the middle of town. If there was a guy on the ledge, don't you think other magazines besides the Inquisitor would see it?"

"I don't know AJ, it's all strange. SO what are you thinking Howie?" He looked up to be met with Brian's concerned eyes.

"I'm thinking something isn't right. You had to see this kid yesterday Brian, he was talking to Jessica as I was leaving and he sounded terrified about something"

"What did Jessica say? You asked her didn't you?" He nodded, "She said she didn't know what I was talking about"

"Maybe she didn't"

"No J, she knew him. She knew him very well too. She lied to me"

"Why?"

"I don't know"

Brian interrupted the conversation, "You think we should go to the police?"

"And say what Bri?" He tried to formulate a sentence in his mind but nothing came. Howie was right, what do you say?

"Maybe ask if there was a suicide committed over at Jive, surely if there was, they would know"

"Maybe.."

"Why don't you talk to the Inquisitor people. Find the reporter that took that picture" Everyone looked over at Nick who said that only in passing as he played his game.

"How does he do that?" AJ's gaze remained fixated on the 17 year old while Brian and Howie continued their conversation, "Yeah, go see the people there or maybe have someone do it for you"

"No, I'll do it myself"

"Cool let's all go, I'm bored!" Nick threw his Gameboy to the floor. "So that's what you do when you're bored? You just toss things around huh?" Brian laughed at Nick.

"I don't think so buddy, it would look pretty odd if four of us all walked in there together.

"I guess you're right, kind of like walking into a lion's den"

"They'll salivate all over us" AJ stuck his tongue out and placed his arms up like paws, which caused the three younger men to ripple with laughter.

Brian stopped laughing and looked over at Howie, "At least bring security with you. Dave will have your ass if you don't"

"Yeah, I'll let him know this time"

"And D, please be careful" AJ said his tone unusually stern and serious.

"I will be"
~*~*~*~*~
Dave reluctantly drove with Howie to the offices of the Inquisitor. One of the leading gossip magazines in all of the USA. He knew he would feel slimy going in there. Instantly showering as soon as he made it back to the hotel, but he had to go. He wasn't really sure why he had so much interest in the entire thing. More then likely it would be just a stupid case of a picture being imposed onto a ledge.

Maybe it was just boredom pushing it's way into Howie's system, afterall when was the last day he had off anyway? Maybe this was just his way of keeping busy. But that guy was so sad and helpless, he just had to know. Make sure this guy was alive and well.

"May I ask why in the hell are we going to this place?" Dave turned around to face Howie. He looked disgusted, "I just need to ask them a question"

"Why not call?"

"I need to do it in person, or else I will get the run around"

"Suit yourself" The car came to a stop by the back entrance of the Inquisitor. Dave leapt out of the car and opened the door to let Howie out.

They entered the huge building. For such a trashy magazine, the place was huge. Almost as big as the Jive building. The air conditioner was on full blast, which Howie was grateful for. People were running around all like chickens with their heads cut off. Dave moved in closer to Howie, "Do any of these people just walk?" Howie laughed. Then he was spotted. At first the young guy that saw him squinted. Once again Howie saw that moment of recognition come across the man's face and immediately the guy ran over to meet him.

"Well, isn't this a lovely surprise. Mr. Dorough, I'm Steve Kirkland" He extended his hand which Howie grabbed in a firm shake. He didn't like the uneasiness seen on the faces of some of the other people as Steven tried to nonchalantly motion for one of them to get someone in charge.

"So, what can we do for you today?"

"I was actually wondering if you could tell me who took the picture that appeared on your cover this morning?"

The man nervously moved his fingers along the line of his lips. Not sure of how or whether to even answer that question. Luckily he was saved when a big man in a black suit and navy blue tie made his way towards Howie. Seeing this, Steve relaxed, "Mr. Dorough this is Mr. Bolten"

"How are you today Mr. Dorough?"

"Please call me Howie"

"Alright then. Howie, what can I do for you?"

"He would like to know who took the picture on today's cover" Steve quickly cut in. The two business men exchanged glances and then a smile formed on Bolten's lips.

"Why don't you follow me to my office and we'll see what I can do" Howie nodded and followed Bolten back to his office.

Once inside, Howie found his eyes glancing all around the room stopping and taking in all the pictures of this guy with tons of famous and important people. There was even a picture with the President.

"Oh, I was invited for one of his gala's. He's a very nice guy. Told a lot of very dirty jokes" The man let out a huge laugh, then when it wasn't reciprocated, his demeanor took on a more serious tone.

"About the picture..." He grabbed a copy of the magazine, "Yes, well..do I need to get my lawyer in here Mr. Dorough?"

"I don't plan on suing anybody Mr. Bolten. All I want to know is where I can find the man who took this picture" At that statement, Bolten seemed to relax a bit, "I'm sorry Howie, I can't give you that information. We don't give out our sources"

Of course he was going to say that. "It's just that, I would like to ask him to take some pictures for me" That made Bolten smile, "Really? Well I have to say that's a new one"

Howie ignored the snide remark and handed Bolten a card with his cell phone number on it, "Look, if he happens to come back in, can you give him my number?"

He grabbed the card, looked it over and then placed it in his pocket, "Oh and one other thing, if anybody else calls me from here with that number, I WILL sue you" He stood up and let himself out of the office.

Once Howie had disappeared out of site, Bolten's smile turned into a frown as he picked up the phone and dialed, "We have a big problem.."