- Text Size +
THis is for Alana and Sherry :)

8

Even at this time of day, the music was booming. There were a few people hanging over at the bar but no girls dancing around poles. Howie had to shuffle Nick along as he strained his neck hoping to see some buxom naked girls. "This is a rip off, not a single lady in sight"

"Nick just keep your eyes straight ahead and keep moving"

They followed the mystery man through a long corridor, stopping when they came across a bouncer. "Hey Phil, these guys are with me" The bouncer nodded and let them all pass.

"That was cool" Nick said as Howie continued to pull him along.

Once down the corridor the man opened up a dressing room door and led the two of them into it. He closed then locked the door behind him. When Howie heard the lock clasp, he grimaced. Not smart Howie D not smart is all he could manage to say to himself as he watched the blonde, the stranger, pace in front of both him and Nick. He held a protective hand on his young friend's shoulder. Just in case.

"So what's the deal man?" Nick spoke first, causing the stranger to stop his pacing and look at the kid.

"Wow" He said moving closer to Nick and grabbing his chin. Howie immediately pushed himself between the two, "Hands off" Nick was taken back at how fierce Howie sounded. The man pulled his hands away from Nick's face, "Relax man.. I was just looking. We really do look a lot alike don't we kid?"

Nick nodded unsure of where this conversation was going. The guy sat down on a table and then motioned for the other two to take a seat on the chairs. "Okay...look, I am fine"

"You didn't have to take us all the way back here to tell us that you know"

"I know. I took you back here to tell you to drop all of this"

"Drop all of what?" He looked at the young blonde. "How old are you kid?"

"17"

"Wanna live to see 18?" Nick nodded.

"Then stop asking questions" Howie felt a sense of dread and decided to let his logical side win out for once. "You know, you are right. Thank you. Like I said I just wanted to make sure you were alright" Howie turned to leave pushing Nick along.

"You better hope they don't know you have been asking questions" That made him stop. "Who?"

"Once they know they'll never leave you alone" When Howie looked back at the man, he once again looked like that young vulnerable man hiding under the desk crying.

"Who?" He asked again moving closer to the blonde while Nick stood beside the door ready to run and get help if need be. He wanted an adventure but this was just a little too creepy for him.

"I can't tell you"

"Why?" Just like that the man snapped out of his melancholy mood and got defensive once again.

"Look, just don't say I didn't warn you. It's best to get out of here now. You definitely don't wanna be seen with me, I am a marked man"

"What's your name?"

"Call me Nick"

"That's my name too"

"I know that kid"

"You told me you didn't know who he was"

"I lied, you have to leave NOW!" That was enough for Nick, He unlatched the door and made his way out of the room, making sure Howie was following behind. As they both left the room, Nick, the older one, said "Watch your back Howie. Once they know they'll never leave you alone" Howie nodded and had the door swiftly slammed in his face. Nick was already up the corridor and once again looking for naked girls.

Once Howie caught up with Nick, he grabbed him by the arm and pushed him out of the place, "God Howie stop being so pushy"

"Sorry we just really need to get out of here Nick"

Howie's cell phone ringing made both men jump. "He's gonna kill us"

"Yeah, thanks Nick, I know that already"

"Hello?"

"Howie where the hell are you?" Dave was screaming so loudly that he had to pull his ear away from the phone.

"Sorry...I'm right up the street, Nick and I wanted..." He looked to his left and saw a hot dog vendor, "A hot dog"

"You what? Never mind, get back to Jive now!!"

After Dave hung up on Howie he turned to Nick and grimaced, "I really think we are in big trouble"
~*~*~*~*~*

"Howie this behavior is so unlike you! What is going on? You know it's one thing to just be irresponsible and go out by yourself but bringing Nick was just ridiculous"

"Sorry" Howie had decided that no matter how much yelling and screaming he was going to endure all he was going to do was politely take it. He knew he deserved it. Dave was right, leaving like that was very unlike him.

Actually everything he had done in the last two days was very unlike him, but he supposed he would have some time to think about it, since he was now forbidden to leave the hotel for at least the rest of the night. It didn't seem fair that here he was in his mid twenties and still being told what to do. He hated that. Absolutely hated it, but it was the price of fame. Still didn't seem fair though.

"What the heck were you guys doing out there? Dave was so totally pissed D" Howie looked at AJ who was sitting on his bed patiently waiting for his friend to come back from his scolding, to get the dirt.

"We went exploring" AJ sat up and draped a pillow around his midsection, "You have to be more specific since my ass can't even go out tonight because of you"

"I know...I'm sorry about that"

"Eh, not like I could do much anyway, so tell me what happened at Jive?"

Howie thought back on the things that Jessie told him and the final words that came out of Nick the elder's mouth. "Not much. It was pretty uneventful"

AJ sat back and sighed, "I was hoping something semi exciting had happened"

"Sorry to disappoint you"

AJ turned his attention to the television and the conversation was forgotten. Until Nick and Brian walked in and brought it up again, "So, D. Tell him about the strip club, he didn't believe me" AJ turned back towards Howie and the two that had just entered, "Strip club?"

Nick smiled, "Yeah..man I was in a strip club, that weird look a like dude, who's name was also Nick brought us there"

"So you DID find this guy and he wasn't dead? That seems to be news" Howie glared at the blonde once again. Why on earth didn't he figure out the glare meant to shut up? You would think he would have figured that out by now.

"So is all of that true Howie?" He looked at Brian and kind of nodded while plastering a stupid and false grin on his face.

"Howie, why didn't you tell me any of that?"

"Because it is unimportant"

"It was a cool experience" Nick seemed totally unfazed by the threat his look a like issued to them. More like a warning actually. It was all a big game to him. He couldn't believe it.

"D, fess up now...what happened exactly?" Howie was forced to tell them everything and watched Brian and AJ's expressions turn from surprise, to confusion to apprehension by the time he hit the finale.

"SO that's it then?" Brian asked taking a sip of water from Nick's bottle.

"Yeah that's it. I guess the big mystery is solved...end of story"

"End of story? Are you nuts Howie? I mean there are still so many unsolved questions like what is up with Jessie?"

"Not my concern. I'm bummed she lost her job but she told me to drop it and so did this Nick guy. So that's that. We drop it!"

"But..."

"No buts on this one Nicky, we do it my way" Nick nodded hesitantly and then he turned his gaze to AJ and Brian who did the same. Good he had successfully made them all drop this. No more adventure. He had his fill.

As Brian and Nick were getting ready to leave, Howie's cellphone chimed again. Nick grabbed it and tossed it over to D, who clicked on expecting to hear his Mother on the other end.

"Hello?"

"I thought I told you to drop this...now it's too late" the caller then hung up. Leaving Howie silent while goosebumps formed on his skin, the other three looking on with wondering eyes...