- Text Size +
Brian and Nick landed gently on the ground, though Nick took in a sharp breath. Nick tightened his grip on Minako’s waist before setting her down. He gripped his abdomen lightly as he grimaced. Minako gripped his shoulders and pulled him close. He took another sharp breath, but still beamed down at her. He pressed a light kiss to her forehead as he gazed over her head. He gasped and turned her quickly so she could see as well.

The land that stretched before them seemed to sparkle lightly in a plethora of hues. Beneath their feet, it was the sickening green of Emeradotouhou. Directly across from them, the ground shone with a golden yellow. To the north, a deep, brooding blood red… And to the south, a calm and tranquil blue. Was this the point where all four lands converged? Separately, they covered the spectrum of feelings: peace, fear, pain, wonder… Together, they swelled into a visual symphony of connectedness. Minako stepped back and gasped. A large tholos towered before them and almost seemed to touch the sky, its ring of columns supporting the tall domed roof. Each inch of its surface sparkled like a diamond among the sea of gemstones, its luminosity was incredible. Nestled in between the columns, it had four arched gates, one pointed toward each of the stretches of color. At the very top of the dome, a sparkling statue of an angel reached toward heaven with one hand and held a bright silver scale in the other. Minako’s eyes reflected the sparkling tholos as she stared up at the statue. It was like nothing she had ever witnessed before, so beautiful, almost lifelike… The wings seemed to reach out to all sides and the body was intricately sculpted. It was a vision of heaven. Minako stepped forward and reached out a hand to touch the sparkling diamond tholos when a flash of light appeared before her.

“Step no further,” a male voice commanded, “Your heart must be judged!”

Minako blinked quickly and stepped back clumsily, somehow the statue stood on the ground in front of her? She shook her head, that was impossible. She looked to the top of the structure… The statue was missing? Was he the statue? Was it even a statue at all?

The man before her chuckled, “I was almost stone-like, wasn’t I?”

Minako nodded, “You… were standing on top of the gazebo?”

“Gazebo?” the man questioned, “This is a tholos and a gate.”

Brian nodded, “I told you, I brought you to the gate. Its circular columns connect all four countries to each other.”

Nick gasped, “This is amazing…” He pulled up some grass, “This is emerald...”

“What are you doing?” the gate guardian asked crossly.

Nick pointed to the left, “That’s sapphire?” To the right, “Ruby?” And across, “Topaz?”

The gate guardian blinked, “Yes… This is the crossroads between the kingdoms, the corners where they intersect. All who appear here must let their heart be judged. I felt you approach.” He held the scale toward Minako, “You first maiden!”

Minako nodded, stepping forward.

“You face me without fear, Maiden? Interesting.” The gate guardian reached out his hand toward Minako’s chest. Minako opened her mouth to protest, but his hand was like silver lightning. He tore her heart from inside her chest and set it on the scale.

Nick and Brian gasped as Minako struggled to breathe and sank to her knees.

“Minako!” Nick exclaimed, rushing toward her with his arms outstretched, ready to pull her into his embrace.

The gate guardian put out his hand, “No. No one may touch her until her heart has been weighed. It may become corrupted with your heart’s contents.”

Nick held his hands toward her for a moment, then stepped back and clenched his hands into fists. He put a fist to his chest. I love you, but… can my heart of darkness corrupt you? What can I do?

The gate guardian stared intently at the scale. Minako’s heart began to glow with pure blue light. The gate guardian smiled as the scale began shining brightly and tipping. The side containing Minako’s heart rose as the empty side of the scale dropped drastically. “It has been a long time since I have weighed the heart of a priestess,” the gate guardian smiled. “Sapphire Pandora… You finally exist in this world?” He nodded and removed the heart from the scale, leaned down, and gently placed it back into Minako’s chest. A brief glow of blue light emanated from his fingertips “Forgive me for my intrusion, Pandora. You are pure and may cross my gate…”

She took in a deep breath and smiled. “Thank you for letting me through.”

The gate guardian gave her a brief nod.

She stepped onto the raised platform of the tholos and reached out to touch its sparkling diamond stone. It’s beautiful.

Brian stepped forward to follow Minako through the gate while Nick reached his hands out again and clamored toward the steps. The gate guardian quickly put the scale in front of him, jolting Nick to a stop. Brian hesitated. “Only she may pass. Your hearts must be weighed.”

“She is our companion,” Brian frowned, “We must all go together to return to Safaiananpou.”

“We have to see His Majesty!” Nick interjected.

The gate guardian sneered, “You refuse to be weighed? Your story is weak and unbelievable, seeking a king after departing one country... Then you must be sinners.” He smirked, “However, there is a way out of this predicament… Sacrifice the priestess, then you may pass.”

“SACRIFICE!?!” Nick stepped back in alarm.

“Yes,” the gate guardian nodded, “A pure maiden’s blood cures all sins.”

Nick clenched his fist. “Listen, you…”

Brian put his arm in front of Nick and turned to the gate guardian. “What he means to say is that we cannot sacrifice her. She is our treasured companion. If we sacrificed her, then we really would be steeped in sins.”

The gate guardian lowered his head and the scale, “You may pass.”

“WHAT?!” Nick exclaimed in confusion, “You try to scare us half to death, then you just let us pass!?!”

The gate guardian nodded, “Yes, in truth, this scale only judges the hearts of women.”

Brian pondered, “Then the requirement to bring a woman…”

“A man’s heart can be judged by whether or not he will sacrifice a woman for his own gain.”

Nick tried to clench his fists, but his frustration prevented him from fully closing his hands as they shook and pulsed, “WHAT SORT OF MAN WOULD KILL A WOMAN FOR HIS OWN GAIN!?!” Nick began coughing up blood as he shouted.

“You’re wounded…” the gate guardian reached his hand out toward Nick.

Nick coughed up more blood as he backed away. “Don’t touch me! I’m not done yelling at you!!”

Minako ran from the tholos, leaped down the stairs, and wrapped Nick in her arms. “Nick!”

Nick gripped his abdomen, “I’m fine! But this monster wanted us to kill you!! Ask him where the fourth one went and if he crossed!” He clenched his fist as he coughed again, blood trickling down his chin, “Let’s go or I’ll kill him!!”

Minako squeezed Nick tighter. Could our fourth demon have come here and been unable to cross? Or was there a woman with him that he refused to sacrifice… She shut her eyes quickly.

“Sapphire Pandora… You finally exist in this world?”

Or… She pulled the orb from her side, it glowed bright sapphire light. She held it gently toward the gate guardian. “To heal…” she whispered, “Scale…”

Brian turned toward her and gasped, “Is he one of us? That demon locator device was right!”

Minako nodded, “He reacts to the orb, so he must be…” She reached out to the gate guardian and for the first time noticed the glowing pale horns on his head peering through his black hair. “You’re a demon?” she questioned. She felt Nick relax for a moment in her arms.

The gate guardian turned to her. His green eyes pierced through her as he nodded, “I was a doctor before, but… My power to heal is actually demonic… The king placed me here to judge hearts and keep me away from humans… The other nations consented to reduce the strain of their armies to guard this place.”

Minako’s face lit up, “Are you from Safaiananpou?”

“How did you know?”

Minako released her hands from Nick’s body, then stepped forward, pointed to herself, and held out the glowing orb. “I’m Pandora from Safaiananpou, as you said. I’m on a quest to gather my cardinal demons then go find the box. If you’re from Safaiananpou, tell me your name!”

“But you came from Emeradotouhou…”

Minako nodded and clenched her free hand into a fist, “There was someone I was trying to save but… She got forced to be the emerald priestess… If I can get my demons and the box… Then we’ll return peace to this world… together…” She lowered her head.

“The emerald Pandora finally exists in this world as well?”

Minako looked up at him, “Please tell me your name. The orb reacts to you, but I guess I don’t know if it only reacts to sapphire cardinal demons or all demons… I have to be sure…”

“My name…” the gate demon started.

A loud cough interrupted him. As he turned to the cough quickly, the fierce coughing increased. Nick lay on the floor convulsing as blood dripped from his mouth onto the ground. He clenched his eyes tightly as the pain consumed him. He shook violently and his wings flapped erratically as he trembled. He curled into himself, arms wrapped tightly around his abdomen as he tried to take in deep breaths.

“Nick!” Minako dropped the orb and ran to his side. She touched his head lightly and reached toward his back. When his body continued to shake, she pulled her hands back, clenching one into a fist and raising the other to her face.

“Nick!” Brian exclaimed. He started moving toward him, but then also dropped to his knees.

Minako stared at both of them in horror. No… They couldn’t die… If they died, I would… She raised both of her hands to her face and gasped in terror, tears beginning to stream down her face.

The gate demon put a hand on her shoulder, “Priestess… How were they wounded?”

Minako’s voice shook as she tried to speak through her tears. “The general in Emeradotouhou fought with Nick and they both came out with devastating wounds. He tried to attack us again, but Brian used all his strength to protect us… They gave their hearts to protect me from that great green devil general… And then we hurried here to escape him before...”

The gate demon nodded and leaned down toward Nick. A blue glow emanated from his hand as he held it above Nick and ripped his tunic from his chest, exposing the puncture in his side. He applied pressure to Nick’s chest, then pressed the other hand to various parts of Nick’s body, the blue glow spilling from both hands. The blood began to vanish from Nick’s chin, his cuts and scrapes dried and shrunk, even the gaping hole in his abdomen closed as the gate demon held his hand to Nick’s back and then swept it to his stomach, circling the wound several times in this manner. All the blood and tears on his clothing vanished as well.

As the gate demon released his hands, Nick lay on the ground, still curled into a ball as though he were sleeping peacefully. His convulsions had stopped and all that remained was peaceful quiet.

The gate demon then stood and turned to Brian, kneeling in front of him. He gripped Brian’s shoulders lightly, his hands still radiating the blue glow. He placed one hand at Brian’s chest and the other at his forehead, holding the pressure there. A great sapphire aura surrounded Brian, like the glowing bars of a cage, as he opened his eyes and looked into the calm, green eyes of the demon. Brian smiled peacefully as he stood up, the sapphire aura retreating back into his body.

“Thank you, but… Pandora is also injured.”

The gate demon stood and turned to her. His eyes grew serious as he looked into Minako’s brown, trembling eyes. “Where are you hurt?”

Minako gripped Nick tightly, but used one hand to point to her shoulder, leg, and stomach. “But it’s nothing… Compared to their injuries… Thank you for helping my friends...” her voice shook.

The gate demon nodded and leaned down toward her as he released the sapphire light from his hand once more. He pressed his hand against her chest as he gripped each place she had indicated. He stared into her shaking eyes as he held her shoulder last, “Kevin…”

“What?” Minako questioned.

“You asked for my name,” the gate demon answered. “My name is Kevin.” He closed his hand and smiled as the glow shrunk and disappeared, “You should feel better now.”

“Kevin...” Minako grabbed her arms and dropped to her knees, shivering in pain.

Brian gasped and stepped toward her, “You said she was better!”

Kevin touched his heart and winced, “I thought--”

“So… You really are one of us…” Nick’s voice weakly broke Kevin’s speech.

Brian and Kevin turned to him in shock.

Nick uncurled his body and sat up weakly with a groan as he held his hand over his abdomen. “She reacts that way when the cardinal demons appear and tell her their names. She’s not in physical pain at all… It’s only her heart crying out for us.” He pulled her within his arms and ran his hand along her hair, leaning his head on hers before pressing a kiss to her head.

Minako let go of her arms and gripped Nick’s hands as she opened her eyes, “Thank goodness… the more I find, the more my heart hurts…” She nodded at Nick, then the two stood. Her legs shook as she held onto him tightly.

Nick patted his abdomen, “Good as new, even the tunic…” He smiled, “Thanks doctor.” He slung his tunic back over his shoulders before returning his hands to Minako’s shoulders.

Brian blinked, “How many left?”

“There are five, right?” Minako asked.

Brian nodded.

“Then, only one,” she turned to Kevin, “Assuming you’ll come with us, of course.”

Kevin blinked, “Come with you… But the gate…”

Minako smiled, “You’ll be happier with us! Do you know the legend of Pandora?”

“Of course,” he smiled, “I was even fortunate enough to meet the Priestesses from Topazuseihou and Rubiihoppou.”

Minako gasped, “You… met them?!”

Kevin nodded, “It was a long time ago, but… They were both headed back to Rubiihoppou. Apparently, God had taken the box there for its final resting place.”

Minako pondered, “So the reason I see red when I imagine the box…”

Kevin shook his head, “It’s not merely red, it’s ruby.”

Minako nodded, “The box, what happened to it?”

“Both failed, so… the box must remain in Rubiihoppou.” Kevin motioned to the red land that lay next to them.

Minako brushed herself off, “Let’s contact Howie. We’ll go to Rubiihoppou together.”

Nick blinked, “What about the last one?”

Minako shook her head, “I don’t know, but… Renee and I are now enemies. She’ll also be headed toward the box. I want to get there first and hopefully we’ll find him on the way.”

Brian blinked, “Where is ‘Howie’? And what about your meeting with His Majesty?”

“In the capital…. But he’ll be fine if we have the meeting here.”

“The other demon is the king?!” Brian and Kevin gasped.

Minako nodded, “He is! Brian, is there any way to contact him from here?”

“Do you have a mirror?”

Kevin handed him the silver scale, “This should work just as well.”

Brian nodded and began chanting. Blue aura swirled around him then flowed into the scale’s basin, spilling out of it lightly. Howie’s image emerged from the sapphire glow.

“Wow!” Minako gasped, “It looks just like him!”

“Pandora?” the image questioned.

Minako jumped back in shock, “OHMYGOD! It is him!”

“Pandora?”

Minako stepped back toward the basin. “Howie…” she smiled.

“Pandora, are you well?”

Minako pulled Nick next to her side quickly, “Nick and I are okay!” She then tilted the basin toward Brian and Kevin. “And we found two more demons!”

Brian smiled sheepishly and waved. Kevin nodded.

“The gate guardian?”

Minako pulled the basin back toward her, “Come meet us! We’re going to get the box in Rubiihoppou.”

“What about the fifth one?” the king questioned, “And… your friend?”

Minako’s eyes became downcast, “The demons in Emeradotouhou recruited her as their priestess… They have a general there who is really dangerous, he’s one of the emerald demons… He attacked us...”

The king’s eyes grew sad as well, “We see…”

“Can you come to us? We’ll figure out what to do about the fifth one, but… We need to go quickly.”

The king drew in a breath, “If you feel it is best and necessary, Pandora, then we must accompany you.”

Minako smiled, “I’m so glad. This way, we’ll get the box before them without fail.”

Britney’s head appeared in the basin next to the king, she smiled. “I’m so glad. Two more demons! Can I give you a hint?”

Minako nodded, smiling widely, “Oh, yes please! I’m so glad.”

“Your course of action is best. I believe you will find the final cardinal demon within the borders of Rubiihoppou.”

“Really?!!” Minako exclaimed.

Britney nodded, “Yes. I feel a strong sapphire aura there.”

Minako hugged on to Nick, “Thank goodness! Howie, how quickly can you get here?”

Howie lowered his head, “Excuse us for a moment, Pandora.”

Britney put her hands together, “I will help His Majesty transfer his aura to you shortly. However, I must warn you… You may be close to gathering all five of the demons, but the priestess of the emeralds is heading toward you quickly, I feel my sister seeping into Rubiihoppou. Her final demon may be with yours.”

“Renee already has four demons?”

Britney nodded, “Be wary… Your paths are destined to cross and they are blood stained.”

Minako nodded and clenched her fist, “I understand. I’ll do whatever it takes.”

Britney nodded and shut her eyes, “Even in the face of danger, your heart is strong and unwavering. This will serve you well, Pandora. His Majesty will be with you if you call out to him…”

Minako shut her eyes and prayed in her heart. She pictured his smiling face, his deep blue robes, his kind eyes. She called to Howie with all her might, hands clenched to her chest.

Nick lowered his head and gripped her waist. He shut his eyes and leaned his head on hers. Your Majesty...

Her heart burst with a quick beat and she opened her eyes. The blue smoky aura returned to Brian as Kevin pulled back the scale. In the emptiness it left behind, a blue figure was slowly taking shape in a column of light. As the light dissipated, the king appeared before them.

“Howie!” Minako exclaimed, leaping from Nick’s embrace and wrapping her arms around him. Brian and Kevin bowed low. Nick stepped back in surprise, then bowed as well.

Howie shook his head as Minako released him from her embrace. “There is no need to bow any longer, Nick... And we are among companions here, so though we are only now meeting, do not bow to us. We also prefer that you call us Howie as well.”

“If that is your preference, Your Majesty… er… Howie…” Brian blinked and turned to Minako, “Then I suppose we must call you by name as well?”

Minako giggled and smiled, “Of course! Let’s all be friends and we’ll call each other by name! Minako, Nick, Howie, Brian, and Kevin are off on their adventure to find the fifth demon and the box!” She pointed toward the red country that lay before them as she continued to giggle, “Onward and forward to Rubiihoppou!”

No matter what, I have to put on a happy face before we reach the box. Like the land before us, my future is stained red. That’s fine… I will rescue Renee, I will obtain the box, and everything will return to the way it was… Renee and I will be friends again. Nick will get back what was stolen from him and maybe even with Renee back, I can stay with him... That’s my greatest wish... The future looked hopeful, even though all their hearts would be stained before its conclusion.