- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The story has finally come to an end ...this is the FINAL chapter...*tear* i hope you like how i ended it, but dont worry there is a future sequel in the works please read and review :)

 

The next few weeks were very crazy for the Carter family with redoing the twins’ room and then getting everything ready for the new baby that was going to be coming in just a few short weeks but Kaylee’s OB told her that she wouldn’t be surprised if he came sooner than expected. AJ offered to stay at the house just in case they needed him he didn’t have a whole lot going on in his life at the moment and since Brian and Leighanne had their hands full he decided to step up.

Kaylee was in the nursery just putting some last minute things together and then that’s when the pain started. Kaylee just brushed it off but also started to time just in case it was real labor pains about 20 minutes later it happened again.

“Nick can you come and get the twins? I am going to take a nice hot shower…the Braxton hicks are starting to hurt,” Nick came in and grabbed the twins.

“Baby, if they get closer you need to let me know ok?”

“Don’t worry I will” Kaylee waddled herself into the master bathroom and turned on the shower and it happened again,” Ok, so now they are getting closer….just have to concentrate on my breathing I don’t have to go until they are five minutes apart.” She said aloud to herself and sure enough within in five minutes there was another contraction and this time it was harder and stronger- it was time. Kaylee hurried up and got out of the shower and got into some pj’s real quick,” Nick…we gotta go now! The contractions are getting harder and stronger I thought they were just Braxton hicks but I guess they weren’t…and they are two weeks early…I guess Dr. Holdner was right.” She yelled.

“Oh ok! I am handing off the twins to AJ as we speak….don’t forget your hospital bag honey…” AJ and Nick saw Kaylee coming out of the bedroom with bag in hand.

“Well I am glad I am staying here” he said,” Wave bye bye to mommy and daddy they are off to hopefully have your baby brother tonight.” AJ waved good bye and the twins’ copied.

On the way to the hospital Kaylee called ahead of time and let them know that she was on the way and luckily her OB was the on call OB that night she just hoped she would get there in time because the contractions were about a minute apart and they were hurting really bad. Nick felt so bad for her because there wasn’t anything he could do to stop the pain she was feeling it wasn’t like he could have the baby for her. When they arrived at the hospital just minutes later Kaylee could barely walk to the emergency room entrance without having to stop every thirty seconds. They were quickly escorted to the second level where labor and delivery was. When they got into the room the nurses got Kaylee into a gown and got all the machines hooked up.

“Am I able to have any drugs?” Kaylee asked the nurse.

“I am not sure Mrs. Carter it looks like your contractions are very close together but we will try to get one in here as fast as we can and we are also trying to get your OB in here as fast as we can as well.” The nurse responded.

“You are doing so great baby… I am so proud of you,” he said as he started stroking her hair.

“Nick just shut up ok? There is enough going on I don’t need you talking right now I am trying to concentrate and get this baby out of me!” she exclaimed and just then her water broke and all the nurses kind of looked at one another, “Ok, I think my water just broke I can’t hold on any longer I have to push” she said.

“Do whatever you have to do Kaylee if that baby wants to come he wants to come!” the nurse said as she came over  and started to prepare to deliver the baby,” Nick I need you to hold her leg so I can have a better view of what is going on here.” Nick did just as the nurse had asked him to do,” Oh boy this little guy must have been ready because here he is crowning Kaylee I need you to give me one big push ok?” Kaylee nodded and gave her one big push,” That was so good Kaylee his head is out but just hold on the cord is loosely wrapped around his neck just give me a few seconds here to get it off…ok done…now one more big push and we are done Kaylee,” and one big push later Kaylee heard the crying of a little baby.

“Is it still a little boy?” she asked.

“Yes baby it is defiantly still a boy” Nick proudly smiled,” You were so good baby I am so proud of you,” Nick kissed her gently.

“Thanks I couldn’t have done it without you.” The nurses took the baby and put him into the baby warmer and got him weighed and measured.  The nurse came over and started unhooking all of the monitors and things.

“You wanna know how long that took Kaylee? “

“Sure”

“Twenty four minutes from start to finish here…that was one fast delivery. How long was your first one?”

“Wow….that was certainly fast and gosh I don’t even remember t he twins were c-sectioned and they were six weeks early so this was all new to me and I didn’t think I could deliver naturally since I had a c-section before,”

“Well normally your doctor will just schedule one but this little guy just couldn’t wait any longer he wanted out fast and quick. Have you guys picked out a name?”

“Yes…his name is Preston Gene Carter…”

“I love that name its so cute…well here he is…all 9lbs and 2 oz of him…and he was 20 inches long…he is a big boy.” Kaylee and Nick were shocked that he was so big compared two the 3lbs the twins were when they were born. When the nurse handed Preston off to Kaylee she couldn’t help but cry happy tears she couldn’t believe he was here and early.

“Would you like to hold your son Nick?” Kaylee asked she also saw a tear roll down his cheek, “Awe, Nick it’s ok to cry if you want this is a happy time,”

“I know but I am a guy,” he chuckled a little,” But yes please let me hold him,”

“Let me take the phone from you though I am going to text everyone and let them know that Preston has arrived.

……

The next day everyone came to the hospital to meet Preston.

“He is so perfect you two,” Leighanne said.

“I know isn’t he? I am so glad he is here….and I could have only imagined what he would have weighed if he came two weeks later,”

“No kidding he is a big boy.

“AJ…thanks for taking care of the twins…you think you could be our live in nanny?” Kaylee teased.

“As much as I love staying in your house I think I would like to have my own space, but I would baby sit in a heartbeat if you ever need me,”  he smiled and kissed Kaylee on the cheek.

“OK everyone visit time is over for a little while Kaylee needs some rest visiting hours will resume in 3 hours if you all want to come back then.” The nurse said.

“Ok see you later Kaylee…bye bye Preston we will see you home soon.” Everyone left the room. Nick came over and sat down on the bed next to Kaylee while she was holding Preston.

“You know this is perfect…this life if just so perfect I don’t ever want it to end…so when do you want to try for another?” Nick laughed.

“You have to be kidding right? Damn Nick we just had one yesterday and you already want another? I don’t think so,” Kaylee said,” Can we wait at least a year or two I can only imagine the kind of trouble these three are going to get into Nick, but I wouldn’t mind having more though,” Kaylee smiled as she looked down at Preston.

“Good…I am glad you want more,” Nick replied as he too looked at Preston.  Their lives were yet once beginning again.   It all started with just a letter and then ended into something more than Kaylee would have ever imagined in a lifetime. There were more journeys ahead for the ever growing Carter family but only time will tell if they could truly handle the chaos that was going to be surrounding them in the years to come.

Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you thought!!!