- Text Size +
(Veronica wrote this chapter )


On the drive back home Anna noticed Nick was nervous. She had asked him about the phone call he had gotten earlier.


"It was...a...a friend." He responded.


"Oh." Was all she said. There was something weird about his answer. "And how did he know where you were?" She asked, searching for a better explanation.


"Um...well...I'm usually...when he can't find me...when it's an emergency...he looks for me at all my favorite places...so he found me."


Anna nodded. She wanted to trust him, she really did. There was just something in his voice, something that made her suspicious. Anna was lost in her suspicions and before she knew it, Nick had stopped the car and was opening the door for her. He helped her out of the car and walked her to the door.


"I had a great time with you." He said as he smiled.


That smile, Anna loved it. "Yeah me too. It seems we always have a great time."


"It does."


There was a long pause before either of them said anything.


Anna looked longingly at Nick. "So, would you like to come in?" She asked with hope in her voice.


"I'd love to but...I have to get home. Maybe we can do this again sometime, like Saturday?"


She was disappointed he opted to leave. "Yeah, you have my number, so just call me." She kissed him on the cheek and went inside. Anna heard Nick as he left. Her heart was beating, but she didn't understand why. As she walked into her bedroom the phone rang.


"Hello?"


"So how was your date." Rachel asked from the other end.


"It was amazing. Rach, you should have seen him."


"Anna, don't get too attached. You know we have a job to do. The only reason I wanted you to meet him was because Brent insisted and I didn't want him to get suspicious. Nick could be in on this too. He may know what Brent is doing, so please, stay focused."


"I know...it's not like I'm in love with him. I'm juts playing along." But the truth was another. Anna might not be in love with Nick, but she did have some feelings for him.


"Ok...I'll talk to you later."


"Yeah, ok." She knew it was wrong to get personally involved, but she couldn't help it. She was attracted to Nick and she was falling, without knowing. Could Nick know? That would explain his strange behavior. "No...maybe it was an emergency, that's why he couldn't stay." She tried rationalizing with herself. She struggled with her thoughts as she drifted to sleep.


(Nick's home)


Nick lay in bed unable to sleep. He was in deep trouble. Mr.Larioswanted his money, money which was due days ago. Money he wouldn't be able to come up with. He owed 12,000 more, he already has 6,000, but that wasn't enough. Mr. Larios wanted his money badly.


"What am I going to do? I'm gonna get myself killed." He slapped his head, "How could I be so stupid. I shoulda never let Brent talk me into this."


(Flashback: a few weeks ago.)


Nick and Brent were eating hot dogs on the boardwalk.


"Dude, if we do this, we get a record deal. Simple." Brent said trying to convince Nick.


"I don't know...I don't understand. Why would a record company need to sell drugs?"


"For financing. Sponsors just don't give enough dough, so they do this on the side. They pay Uncle Sam with the ligit money, and keep the dirty money." Brent could see Nick wasn't going for it. "Nick, we do this, we make it big."


"We can make it big. It's just this one thing right? After we get the contract, we don't need to do this again, right?"


"Right?"


"OK...I'll do it.


(Flashback ends)


"Stupid, stupid Nick." The phone rang as he was yelling at himself. "Yeah?"


"Carter, Carter, Carter. What's wrong with you? How can you hang up on me? Where are your manners?"


"I'm sorry....I was upset...I just"


"Nick, I gave you a chance, but I want my money in two days. Two days or else. I'm not kidding Nick."


"Fine, but after this I'm done with you. I don't care if I get a contract or not."


"Once you deal with me I own you. Two days, Carter." Nick heard a click.


"Shit. Two days? No way?" What was he going to do now" How was he going to get the money?