- Text Size +

First, it was dark and calm and peaceful. He had drifted off into a quiet slumber by the distant drumming of the subway train making its way back to the city, where hardworking people anticipated upon its arrival, wanting to get back home before the merciless cold of the young night crept up unnoticed. The hissing and sighing of buses as they made their numerous stops nearby somehow calmed him even more. Occasionally, he would hear heavy sets of footfalls passing by his apartment, ensuring him that he was never really alone. It had been a long day for him; sleep had been the one thing he had been looking forward to the entire day. Never mind the hunger, all he wanted to do was sleep.

When he was awaken not an hour later by the persistent ringing of his cell phone, it was expected to have the silhouette of darkness and silence that had embraced the bachelor’s pad to be broken by strings of vulgarities coming out of his mouth. Still in the middle of pushing his muzzled thoughts away from dreamland, he answered the phone.

“What?”

“There’s a homicide over at 25th Avenue, I’m on my way there. Get your ass up Littrell.” He frowned. Another homicide. That would be the fifth in a day. He didn’t allow himself to dwell into it much deeper, knowing that if he does, disturbing images of the bodies he had to look at that day would come back to haunt him.

“Yeah, black coffee for me and chill pills for Dorough.” He replied, knowing very well what would tick his partner off.

He heard a groan on the other line and a smirk immediately appeared on his face. Mission accomplished. “Brian, thank your lucky stars you’re not next to me right now.”

-

They know it was illegal to drink when you’re barely eighteen, but that does not mean you have to abide them. As long as you’re not caught, no harm will be done right? Wrong. Nick Carter would not take that chance. So, when his friends decided to celebrate their high school Basketball Inter School championship victory by getting themselves drunk silly, he had offered to be the designated driver.

But no one volunteers to be a DD Nick! His best friend AJ had teased him.

I don’t plan on dying tonight AJ, he had retorted.

Four hours later, they had found themselves hanging out by the beach. Bottles of beers were emptied, a group of teenage boys were drunk, some had even passed out. Nick had drunk a bottle himself and that was a good three hours ago. As the early night started to creep up behind them, Nick felt that it was time to go. It would only be a matter of time before someone alert the police and they would be arrested for illegal drinking and committing public nuisance. Brent was attempting to climb a tree and Danny was trying to persuade him not to. It wasn’t working though, since Danny was heavily intoxicated himself.

“You ready to go now? It’s getting cold here. Looks like it’s gonna rain.” Nick said. It was the first time he had spoken ever since AJ had decided to join him. Both sitting on the smooth, fine sand, watching the dusk gave way to the young night. The stars were sparsely dispersed; even the ocean that stretched out into the horizon seemed calm.

“Yeah, I guess.” AJ mumbled as he dug his bare feet into the sand, feeling the gratitude of being warmed. “Did you enjoy yourself sober bro?”

Nick chuckled. The soft breeze blowing at his slightly long hair, the cool wind sending shivers to his body. It would have been nice if Brent wasn’t making monkey noises somewhere at the back. “Next time, I’m getting drunk and you’re driving.”

AJ scoffed. “Nick Carter drunk? Tell me how you’re gonna convince your mom otherwise?”

“I’m gonna have to bunk off at your place then.” Nick shrugged. “You will take me in right?”

“Yeah I will, until I kick your ass out of this town so you can go to some College and get drunk anytime you want and your mom won’t know about it.” AJ said. “College will be fun.”

“I hope you do remember the studying part.” Nick joked.

AJ scrunched his nose. “Yeah, and that too.”

Nick laughed and shook his head. “Don’t wanna be a College dropout J, NBA won’t take you if you lost that scholarship.”

“Speaking of which, have you decide where you’re go?”

“I want to stay here.”

“Are you serious?”

“What’s wrong with here?”

AJ sighed. “Here is where our parents are, here is where you’ll be nineteen and still be living with your folks. Here is where you will never know your true potential of making it own your own. Here, you’ll never see yourself in NBA.”

Nick turned to look at his best friend, wanting them to lock gaze. “What if I tell you I never wanted to be in NBA?”

AJ almost choked himself. Nick suppressed his giggles at the sight of his friend’s bulging eyes. “You’re not just fucking with my head, are you? I’m not that drunk you know, such things can still give me a heart attack.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “Don’t be a drama queen J, you already look awful cross dressing.”

AJ smiled. “Ah, those were good memories.”

“You being a drag?” Nick mused.

“No…actually, when you freaked out cause I made a pass at you at the Carnival last year!” AJ laughed out loud. “They really thought some cross dresser was hitting on you.”

Nick cringed at the thought. “And you still wonder why I can’t get girls…you ruined my love life.”

“Sex life you mean?” AJ wiggled his eyebrows. Nick chuckled.

“That, I still have yet to have…and don’t you dare tell me I’m picky.”

AJ’s eyes widen for the second time that night. “But you are!”

“Am not!”

“Are too!” AJ argued. “Come on man, you’re Nick…all the girls want Nick…you could have anyone. If you had done it with that Julia girl, I bet the guys wouldn’t have given you such a difficult time.”

Nick smiled. AJ was christened ‘Bone Daddy’ by the team. Brent was ‘Air Brent’ and Danny was ‘Dan the Man’ and what did Nick get? ‘Saint Nickolas’ just because he was the only virgin left in the team and probably in the entire school.

“Julia scares me,” Nick mused. “Hey, who knows, maybe I might get lucky and do it with a sophomore in College.”

“Dude, if the guys know you’re a Virgin freshmen in College, you’ll get it worst man.” AJ sighed exaggeratedly.

“Then they don’t have to know.” Nick said. “Why the hell are we talking about my sex life, or the lack of it?”

AJ shook his head. “Hey, I’m just showing my concern over your social life okay? That’s why I’m your best friend.”

“Sure J, thanks, I guess…why don’t we enrol in the same College, you can be my social life navigator or something.”

“And why not?” AJ brightened.

Nick laughed. “You’re crazy…I think we need to find you a new girlfriend quick, then maybe you can butt out of my sex life.”

“Hey, I can get a girlfriend right now if I want to…I think it’s the weather, I think it’s gonna rain, it’s messing with us.” AJ replied.

“Oh? I thought it’s just your intoxicated brain messing with you.”

“That’s a big word Nicky, this is really weird…we should go.” AJ said.

“That’s what I said.” Nick exclaimed. “Are they coming?” He asked, looking back at Brent and Danny.

AJ took another look at the two boys and shook his head. “Nah, I heard Brent said he’s gonna get himself wasted.”

“And right now he’s not?” Nick smirked.

AJ laughed and took off the yellow jacket he was wearing. “Here, you need this more than I do.”

Nick took the jacket gratefully. “It’s freezing cold man.”

“And the booze keeps me warm,” AJ pointed out. “Besides, I don’t like that jacket very much.”

Nick nodded. “Cindy gave it to you.”

“Oh, you mean the bitch who is my ex-girlfriend?” AJ said as they found themselves at the parking lot. The ground was cold and AJ couldn’t wait to get himself inside his car, where he had left his snickers.

“I don’t even understand why you wear it to the game in the first place.” Nick said as he put on the jacket. It was a little bit small but still comfortable for him. “And why is she suddenly a bitch? I thought you loved her to death.”

AJ slumped himself on his seat and slammed the door closed; the warmth in the car felt inviting enough for him to drift off to sleep. Instead, he looked on as Nick geared himself up and twisted the key in the ignition. The engine drummed softly, the smell of leathered seat and a week old lemon scented car fresher entered his nostrils; embracing him deeper into comfort.

“I saw her smoking pot the other day,” AJ said, pausing to see Nick’s reaction. Surprisingly, Nick just nodded his head. “I made her spill.”

“Where did she get it from?”

“Some guy called Joseph.” AJ said. “I think it’s a sin to name him Joseph and then go around selling drugs to teenagers like us.”

Nick chuckled as he pulled out of the parking lot and into the stretch of road ahead of them. “You know, Cindy’s always been…difficult…but I never thought she’d go that far.”

“Yeah well, she got me surprised too. I think I just blow up at her and told her it’s all over and I kinda told her that I’m gonna report it to the police.” AJ laughed. “Like I really care if she wanna kill herself. I’m done with her man.”

Nick glanced over at his best friend for a second, trying to read the expression on his face. No matter what AJ had told him, he knew Cindy meant so much more. “But that still doesn’t tell me why you wear the jacket.”

AJ sighed and shifted in his seat so that he could look at Nick from the side. “I met her before the game, said she wants us to have clean break. I just don’t want to fight anymore you know, she said if I forgive her, I’ll wear the damn jacket to the game.”

“Ahh…” Nick nodded as he turned to a corner. He spotted the 24Hour diner and slowed down. “I’m gonna get myself coffee, you want anything?”

“I think I need to take a leak.” AJ replied.

The parking lot was almost empty. Nick could only spot at least three trucks parked not far from them. The street lamps planted there were dim; some were flickering, almost to the brink of death. Nick took another mouthful of air into his lung and released it quickly, as if the very action would make him warmer. He walked up the small steps leading to the diner, watching AJ’s silhouette making his way to the men’s room from the corner of his eye.

There were a few truck drivers having their late dinner when he entered. Carl, the owner, stopped whatever conversation he was engaged with one of them and turned towards him. “Hey, I heard your team won.”

Nick grinned. “Yup. AJ scored the winner.”

“Where is that boy anyway?” Carl asked.

“Men’s room.” Nick replied as he plopped on a stool next to one of the truck drivers. “Can I have black coffee to go, please?”

“AJ not having any?”

“He really should. He’s drunk.” Nick said, deciding if he should buy one for his friend. “Fine, make that two.”

“So, have you receive any replies from College?” Carl asked as he prepared the drink. Nick reached out to take one of the doughnuts on display.

“I was offered a scholarship from Boston.” Nick smiled. “And some others. I’m still thinking it over; put this in my tab. ” he added, waving the half bitten doughnut.

Carl was impressed. “Way to go Nick! You should really get out of this small town and make something out of yourself. When you play for the NBA, you can mention us here.”

Nick laughed. He hadn’t thought that far. In fact, he was procrastinating. Being away from home and experience the beginning to adulthood and freedom was tempting, but he hate to leave home. He wasn’t much into changes.

“Here you go,” Carl said, handing two cups of hot coffee over. “Everything on the house; for winning tonight.”

Nick popped the final piece of the doughnut in his mouth and grabbed the cups. “Thanks Carl, I’ll see you around.”

Exiting out of the diner, the cold wind once again greeted him with malice. It stung his cheeks and hurt his eyes. Perhaps a storm was brewing, he wasn’t sure. A black van passed by the main road and it comforted him in a way. At least we’re not the only ones stupid enough to be out on the road in a weather like this, he told himself. He wondered if his drunkard buddies would freeze to death at the beach.

AJ came out of the washing room seconds later and was already by his side when he reached the car. He passed a cup to him. “Special treat from Carl.”

“We won the championship and we get coffee?” AJ smirked. “What must someone do to get respect around here?”

Nick laughed. AJ always managed to make things feel good when they’re not. Like right then, the cold was unbearable. He wondered exactly how much beer AJ had drank that night for him not to tremble. The van had made a turn into the parking lot; it’s shining headlights blinding them temporarily.

“I got a free doughnut.” Nick taunted.

“But I’m the one who scored the winner!” AJ mocked. Nick opened the door to the driver’s seat as AJ made his way around to the other side.

“Don’t push your luck buddy.” Nick said.

“Yeah well, you let me get drunk tonight,” AJ said. “And you volunteered to be DD, that’s worth something.”

“See? I love ya bro.” Nick exaggerated.

AJ was about to open the door on his side of the car when the black van passed them by in the parking lot. The next thing he knew, he was hearing firecrackers exploding. His first reaction was to duck and took shield. It felt like eternity but he knew it took a few mortal seconds to understand what was going on.

Someone was shooting.

In his fears, he forgot where he was. Whatever dizzy spells he had from drinking too much now completely gone. The van sped and made a screeching U-turn and out of the parking lot. In his state of shock, he managed to register the plate number. Suddenly he was sweating all over, as if the cold night brought no chills to him. His heart was pounding in his chest. He didn’t even hear it, but now as he looked up for the first time, he saw the glass window to his car had shattered beyond repair.

It wasn’t until he heard the weak groans that he remembered Nick.

“Oh God please, please, please…” He cried as he rushed to his best friend. By then, everyone at the diner had rushed out to see the commotion. He thought he heard Carl yelling at someone to call the ambulance. Instantly he knew, that Nick was shot.

He was lying on the coarse ground, trembling. In the dim night, AJ didn’t realise until it was too late that he had stepped into a puddle of his best friend’s blood. He bent down started checking for the wound. He couldn’t find any.

“Oh God Nick…tell me where it hurts…please…keep your eyes open buddy, you’re going to be all right.” AJ cried, his hands trembling as he searched for the wound.

“Is he hurt?” Carl asked, already squatting next to him.

“I think he’s shot, I can’t find where!” AJ exclaimed frantically. He had given up searching, letting Carl do the job. He looked at the glazed eyes of his best friend. He looked too pale for comfort. Cradling his head on his lap, AJ smoothed out his hair off his eyes.

“Come on buddy, stay with me okay? You can’t sleep now!”

“I think they shot his back.” Carl said, a slight tremble in his voice.

AJ couldn’t care less about the things that were going on around him. He knew everything was being taken care of, so he sat there and keep locking gaze with Nick. He couldn’t afford to let him slip unconscious.

Nick blinked, once, twice; the grim look on his face showed that he was in a lot of pain. The tears that paved down his cheeks only made AJ cried along with him. Nick’s grip on his hand loosened by the second, and AJ refused to listen to his unspoken fears. It doesn’t look good.

“Come on buddy, stay with me okay? For me? Please?” AJ cried.

Nick’s only respond to that was the loosening grip on his arm. AJ could feel his body going limp on him and he hated that sensation. Please God; don’t let him die in my arms! Don’t punish me like this!

A single trail of blood seeped out of the corner of his lips and AJ started to feel himself loosing ground. This couldn’t be happening! “Oh God, no…please Nicky, stay with me okay? Come on buddy, I know you’re in there!”

In a distance, the first clap of thunder showed its presence. Nick was right about the weather after all.

-

Victim is Nick Carter, 18 year old, attended Ebay High School. Out drinking with buddies after winning the Basketball championship. Had been offered a sports scholarship to attend College in Boston. Such a waste of a young life.” Crime Scene Investigation officer, Kevin Richardson fill in on the two officers who had just arrived at the scene.

“Do we have witness?” Howie Dorough asked.

“His best friend, Alexander Mc Lean.” Kevin replied. “They stopped over for coffee and loo break. Big black van drove in, started shooting and left.”

“Did he get a look at the shooter?” Brian Littrell asked.

“Better yet, he got the plate number.” Kevin said. “This is not some random shooting guys, the shooter knows exactly what he was aiming at. Apparently, it’s for Nick Carter.”

“Thanks Kevin, I’ll go question the boy.” Howie said.

Brian squirmed; he hated doing this the most. “I’ll go see the body.”

No amount of hot cocoa could warm him. Nothing could. His best friend died in his arms tonight, nothing could make it better. Unless if Nick decided to wake up again, which was unlikely to happen.

“Alexander Mc Lean?” He looked up and groaned. Not another police officer. He was done with questioning. Nick was shot by some asshole and died, he need to be alone.

“Are you going to ask me questions, cause that man over there just asked me everything.” AJ said, pointing towards Kevin. “I don’t want to talk about it okay.”

“I understand Alex, can I call you Alex?”

“Everybody calls me AJ.”

“Okay AJ, I’m Howie.” Howie said as he took the seat next to him, just outside the diner. “I understand this is difficult for you, but don’t you want whoever did this to pay?”

AJ kept silent. “Do you know of anyone who might have issues with Nick Carter?”

AJ smirked. Nick? “No way. Nick is…was too nice to have enemies.” Wow, now Nick Carter is a past tense?

“So you have no reasons to suspect anybody?”

AJ shook his head. “No. Everybody in school likes him. He’s the vibe of the crowd, you know…”

Before Howie could ask more, his cell phone started to ring. Excusing himself, he answered. “Yeah?”

“Result from the plate number is out. The van belongs to one James Evan, registered address at No.58 25th Avenue, Everton Park. He’s eighteen, a school drop out living with his grandmother.”

“Is the body still here?”

“Kevin just ordered them to take the body away. He wants a post mortem done.”

“Okay, we should go check out this James Evan.”

“Yeah, I’ll get the car over. I think we should drive the kid home.”

Howie stole a glance at the young man next to him. “Yeah, I think he has had enough for tonight.” Hanging up the phone, he sighed and cleared his throat. “AJ, my partner Brian is coming over with the car, we’ll drive you home, we will let you go for tonight.”

“I heard you mention James Evan, is he a suspect?” AJ asked.

“Do you know James Evan?”

“Never heard of him.” AJ replied. Howie frowned; he was hoping that the name would trigger some bad memories between the two; it would give him a motive to work on.

“He’s the owner of the black van you saw.” Howie said. “We will find them AJ, your friend’s death will be justified.”

-

James Evan looked every bit a teenage drop out; even his personal record would put a seasoned criminal to shame. Brian was almost certain that they had the right person under custody; all they need now is a confession from him.

“Do you know the time one gets for murder?” Howie asked calmly as he sipped the hot coffee.

“I kill nobody.” James Evan replied short.

“Did I say you kill anyone James?” Howie said instead. “Why are you so defensive James, is there something you’re hiding from me?”

“Are you charging me for something?”

“A young man was killed tonight James, and we have witnesses claiming that they saw your van with the shooter in it. Care to explain that?”

Brian leaned deeper onto the wall, willing the image of the young man out of his mind. He was so young and had a whole new world just waiting for him. Kevin told him earlier that the young man was the eldest in the family, had four other siblings who most probably looked up to him as their mentor. He excelled in sports and did well academically; a promising young man, his best friend had claimed. Why must the good ones go?

A light rap on the door yanked him out of his thoughts. It was Kevin.

“This the boy?” Kevin asked grimly.

“James Evan in flesh.” Howie mocked.

“I hope you have some good news for us Kevin, it’s almost six and we’ve all been up since last night just because some stupid kid thought it’d be cool to kill another kid for no reasons.” Brian yawned. “No wait, he’s eighteen right? They will try him as an adult, although I doubt there’s anything adult about this boy.”

Kevin smirked, enjoying the irritation that was playing on James Evan’s face.

“Sit back and enjoy this.” Kevin said. He turned towards James and pulled out the pictures from the huge envelope he was carrying. “This over here James, is the picture of tyre prints left behind by the suspected van, and this over here, is the imprint of the tyres on your van, we did a little stamping fun with it a few hours ago. See, they match.”

James rolled his eyes. “So? I’m not the only driver using this type of tyres.”

Howie scoffed. “He’s good.”

“He thinks he’s good.” Brian smirked.

Kevin nodded. “But not all tyres have the exact burn marks as the one we found on the crime scene. Only yours.” He waited for a response and when he got none, Kevin said as an afterthought. “Oh, and the fact that we found coffee stains and blood on one of your tyres pretty much said it all…come on James, I’m sure you don’t have such a short memory span since you’re still young and healthy….that boy was drinking his last cup of coffee when you decided to pull your trigger on him.”

“Do you need him to tell you if the DNA results of that blood matches the victim?” Brian challenged. “Cause he can tell you just that, you know. But it won’t be good news for you.”

James Evan was trapped, they could see it. Now all they need is for him to break down and spill. That wouldn’t be too difficult if Howie could help it.

“You tell us everything and you’ll get a lesser sentence.” Howie said. “We know there has got to be more than one person behind this. You don’t even know the guy you shot. I hope the person pays you a lot for doing this cause you’ll need the best lawyer to help your ass.”

“I didn’t do it.”

Simple as that. Howie knew there was a but coming, he waited.

“I was in the van but I didn’t shoot him.” James cried. “All I did is drive and Joey shot him.”

Kevin smiled. “I believe my job here is done people. I’ll leave my report here with you, I have some signings to do so that the victim’s parents can claim his body.” Kevin glanced at the teenager and found him looking back at him, his body trembling, obviously scared for the first time. “Yes, that boy who died, he has a family, sisters and brothers and a bright future ahead of him. Now he’s dead, think about that when you spend your lifetime in prison.”

Kevin took off, leaving the two Inspectors to begin breaking the teenager down to a full confession. They needed everything solved within the next 24 hours or the chances of finding ‘Joey’ would be slim.

“Who’s Joey?” Howie asked.

“He’s…a friend.”

“You pick your friends well.” Brian spat sarcasm. “You’ll fit in jail just fine.”

“So, why did Joey decide to start shooting? Revenge?”

“He said we have to kill him because he’s a threat.”

Howie laughed. “The last time I check, you’re the ones with a gun in hand, not him; how can he be a threat?”

James Evan pulled at his hair nervously. His eyes were no longer focused on them; they were darting back and forth, following the length of the wooden table in front of him. “He said he’ll get us all arrested…he said…”

“Well, Joey hit the bull’s eye on that one.” Brian cut in. “Listen here James, we’re tired and cranky and when we’re rid of our sleep because someone decided to play Rambo, we tend to get a little bit out of hand; we always get what we want that way though. So why don’t we cut all the crap and let’s have it from you. For a start, you can tell us if this Joey has a full name like the rest of us.”

-

AJ was frustrated. Inspector Dorough, or Howie as he had introduced himself, said that he wouldn’t be harassing him for more questioning, but at nine in the morning the next day, he found both Howie and Brian in his living room. Not that he was sleeping when they came by. He didn’t think he could ever get any sleep anytime soon. The entire night had been spent staring up at the ceiling in his room, willing for the tears to stop spilling; willing for the image of having Nick heaving his last breath in his arms.

“What can I do for you?” AJ asked out of politeness.

“We’re sorry to disturb you AJ, but we have a few questions that will hopefully help us.” Brian said. AJ nodded.

“Do you know a girl by the name of Cindy Mc Claren? We understand she goes to the same high school as you and Mr. Carter.” Howie asked.

AJ frowned. “What does Cindy has to do with all these?”

“Do you know her?”

AJ nodded. “My ex-girlfriend. We broke up like three days ago.”

“Why did you two break up?”

AJ found it strange but didn’t question them. “We couldn’t get along, I just feel like there’s nothing to save in our relationship.”

“Is that all?” Brian asked. “Did you argue with her about something you found out?”

AJ was lost at first. What does that suppose to mean? When he finally realised what Brian was getting at, his eyes widen. “Oh, I know this will get her in a lot of trouble, but heck, maybe now it’s not too late to help her…I caught her smoking pot and I got mad and end the relationship right there.”

They nodded, as if satisfied with his answer. How come they didn’t look surprised?

“You caught her smoking pot and you didn’t warn her of the danger? Or tell the principal?” Howie asked.

“No…I was too mad and we’re already on our way to graduation so I don’t want to stop her from graduating. It’s her life you know, if she wants to kill herself, let her. But I sort of threatened her that I’ll tell the police if she continues. I thought she’ll get guilt trips for that.”

“When was the last time you talk to her?” Brian asked.

AJ’s body sagged. “Last night…before our game, she came up to me offering peace. Said she still wants us to be friends.”

“What did you say?”

“I said sure. I wore the stupid yellow jacket just to show her that I forgive her.”

Howie frowned. “Why must you wear the yellow jacket to show that you forgive her? Isn’t telling her just that, enough?”

AJ smirked. “Cindy’s rather emotional. I’m just playing her game just to get her off my back…why are you asking me all these? I don’t see the connection with Nick’s death.”

Brian inhaled and for a moment, held it in; this was going to be hard.

“AJ, when you told Cindy that you’re going to tell the police about the pot, she got so worked up because she knew if she gets caught, so will the people who sold it to her in the first place. She got scared and told Joey, he sold the stuff to her.” Brian paused; tried to read the expression on the young man, wanting to see if there were hints of him realizing the truth without having him to go further with the explanation. But AJ looked even lost than before.

“What Brian was trying to say AJ, Cindy wanted you to wear that yellow jacket so that Joseph and his friends can identify you since they’ve never seen you before.” Howie explained.

“They thought Nick was you.”