- Text Size +
Nick was starting to feel uncomfortable. “You know, I’m not a baby. You don’t need to treat me like one.”

Brent looked up. He looked almost offended. “Who said anything about us treating you like a baby?”

“Oh come on Brent. I know you mean well, but you have barely left my side since you got here. I even have to justify going to take a piss.”

“I haven’t left your side because I care.”

“I know you care Brent. But you don’t have to suffocate me.”

Brent stood up. “Fine. I won’t show you that I care anymore. In fact, maybe I should just head back up to New York and forget this visit.” Brent stormed out of the room. Nick took a shaky breath to compose himself. Abby and Casey started to head out of the room.

“Casey.”

Abby kept going and Casey stopped. “Yeah Nick?”

“You can stay.” Nick stood up and sat back down on the couch.

Casey came back to the couch and tentatively sat down next to Nick. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah I’m sure.”

“Why didn’t you want Brent?”

“Because Brent was around when this actually happened. He was there to stop all of my suicide attempts, except for one where I almost succeeded. I had told him to go out and have some fun. That night I slit my wrist and nearly bled to death before I was found. So now whenever I’m upset, he doesn’t leave my side. AT ALL. His constant presence was starting to get to me.”

“He’s just worried about you.”

“I know. I just felt like I couldn’t breathe anymore.”

“I think you offended him when you said that.”

“I did offend him. But it had to be said. He’ll get over it. He’s all talk anyway. He won’t go back to New York. Especially if he thinks I’m in danger of hurting myself.”

They made small talk for 2 more hours then Nick excused himself and retreated to his room. He closed the door gently behind him. He left a trail of clothes as he walked to his bed and stripped down to his boxers. It was still early, barely 6:00 but the events of the day left him exhausted.

He climbed into bed. He could feel his eyelids getting heavy, but he was afraid to sleep. He was afraid that his dreams would be plagued by the memories of that horrible day.

Taking a deep breath he snuggled under his blankets. He was about to fall asleep when there was a soft knock at the door. “It’s open.”

The door opened slowly as a disheveled Brent stepped into the room, closing the door behind him. “Hey.” He said softly.

Nick sat up in bed. “Hi.”

“I’m sorry that I smothered you.”

“I wasn’t angry with you. I know you were doing it because you care. There’s no need to apologize.”

“I went overboard. It’s just…in December when you slit your wrist, I was so afraid of losing you.” He quickly wiped away a lone tear. “Living in two different states is one thing. I wouldn’t have been able to handle it if you died, especially by your own hand. I don’t like seeing you like this.”

“I know Brent. I’ll be ok. This is just a temporary set back.”

“A temporary set back?”

“Yeah. I was doing well before receiving those invitations.”

“Were you really?” Nick nodded. Brent gave Nick a small smile. “Well, you’ve had a rough day. I’m sure you want to rest, so I’ll leave you to that. I’ll wake you up for dinner.” Brent exited the room, closing the door behind him.

“No you won’t.” Nick mumbled to himself before getting out of bed and making his way into the bathroom. He leaned over the sink for a few seconds before opening the door to his medicine cabinet. He pushed a few bottles aside until he found the little orange bottle of prescription medicine. He looked at the bottle for a few seconds before popping open the cap.