- Text Size +
We heard a knock on our door. We glanced at each other because we knew it was Nick. We held a quiet conversation to decide whether or not to open the door. Before we came to a decision Abby went to the door. She grabbed both of our keys. She flung the door open, thrusting the keys at him. “Here. We don’t need these.”

He just stood there starring down at the keys in his hands. “Why?” He said quietly. His voice cracked slightly on the one syllable question, like he was trying to keep from crying. He sounded pathetic. I couldn’t believe what happened next. Abby, sweet quiet Abby, laughed at him. And I mean a loud laugh in his face. I loved it. I started laughing too. I looked up at him. He looked really hurt. “Please stay.”

And for the 3rd time today, Abby shocked me by staying. “Why should we? Why would we want to ruin a week of our lives by staying with an asshole like you? I should have listened to my dear best friend when she said that you were nothing but a stuck up spoiled brat who only cares for himself and his whores.”

I stopped laughing. My sweet innocent Abby just called her idol an asshole and insulted him to his face. I didn’t think she had it in her. I also stopped laughing because he really did look like he was about to start crying. He was really hurt by what Abby said to him. At first, I was enjoying this because I thought his ego was the only thing that was getting deflated, but I realized that his ego was long out of the picture and his self-esteem was following quickly.

He looked down. When he spoke again, his voice was really quiet and shaking. “I, um, I was kind of hoping that you would, um, come to dinner with me. And, um, I was also hoping that you would stay at least just tonight, so that I could possibly make it up to you and redeem myself.”

I was about to say something, but Abby beat me to it. “You think WE should stay so you, the pompous jackass prick, can redeem yourself?”

He kept his eyes glued to the keys in his hands for a good 5 minutes. He didn’t say anything. Both of us stood there starring at him waiting for him to do something. “I’m, I’m sorry.” He said, his voice barely audible.

We watched him turn around to walk back to his room. He dropped our keys on the table by the couch and continued walking to his room with his head hung low.
I stood rooted in my spot in shock. I watched Abby fall onto the bed. “He’s trying to make us stay so we don't ruin his rep.”

“Um, Abby.”

Abby wasn’t listening to me. She kept talking. “I mean, can you believe the nerve of that guy.”

“Abby.”

“Yeah.”

“You went too far.”

“What? No. He deserved it. And besides, you never liked him, so why are you sticking up for him?”

“Because he looked so hurt.”

“Whatever. Let’s get our stuff and get out of here.”
We grabbed our bags and walked into the suite. As we walked past the door, we noticed it was slightly ajar. We kept walking past it. As we were about to leave the suite, I heard something. “Wait, Abby. Do you hear that?”

“Yeah. What is that?”

“I don’t know; it’s coming from Nick’s room.” We put our bags down out of the way and walked quietly back to Nick’s door. I pushed the door open quietly. I stood there, I didn’t know what to make of what I saw.

“What’s going on?” Abby whispered and then she gently pushed me out of the way so she could see. Nick was sitting on the bed, with his back facing us. His had his head cradled in his hands, and his shoulders were shaking. “Is, is he crying?”

“Yeah Abby, he is.” Abby walked silently away from the door and sat on the couch. “Abby, are you ok?”

“I made him cry.” I nodded. “I really did go too far.”

~*~
Nick’s Point of View


I walked away from their door dejectedly. I guess I deserved what happened. I really wasn’t too nice to them. I dropped the keys on the table and continued walking. I entered my room. I left the door slightly open, it didn’t matter, my female guests weren’t staying and I had no one to blame but myself.

I heard them walk past the room. I was really hoping that they would change their mind, but I guess not. I tried to get my mind off of what happened. But nothing was working. Everything that the girls said to me kept running over in my head.

“First, get off your ego trip. I’m not a fan. And second, Abby is not psychotic. She just so happens to be the contest winner that gets to spend a week with you. Although I can’t see why she would want that.”

“I was looking forward to this week I got to spend with you. Now I’m wishing that I hadn’t won this contest because this will be the worst week of my life. As soon as the week ends, I’m never going to support you in anything you do, and I’ll make sure my friends stop supporting you too.”

“Why should we? Why would we want to ruin a week of our lives by staying with an asshole like you? I should have listened to my dear best friend when she said that you were nothing but a stuck up spoiled brat who only cares for himself and his whores.”

“You think WE should stay so you, the pompous jackass prick, can redeem yourself?”


I didn’t think I was as bad as they were making me out to be. But I guess I really am an asshole, a stuck up spoiled brat, a womanizer, selfish, and a pompous jackass prick. Am I really that bad? I couldn’t help it. I started crying softly. The more their words ran through my head the harder I cried until I was sobbing.

~*~
Casey’s Point of View


I just sat on the couch with Abby. Abby was really upset that he was crying. She had tears in her own eyes. I was more or less in shock. I had never seen a grown man cry before. Abby and I jumped when the suite door open. It was the security guard from earlier. He looked at us with a confused look. “Something’s wrong with this picture. What happened?” I explained in detail what had happened. “Where is he?” I pointed to his room. “Are you girls still going to leave?”

Abby and I looked at each other. “It’s up to you Abby.”

“I don’t know. I was really hurt by what happened when we first got here but now I feel bad because I made him cry. I didn’t want to make him cry.”

“I originally came to get him for dinner but he probably won’t want to eat now. I’ll leave you two to decide what you want to do. If you decide to leave or if you want to go to dinner, come find me.” He told us his room number and left.

We sat on the couch in silence contemplating our decision for a half hour. Abby and I looked up when his bedroom door opened. His face was red and streaked with tear stains. He stopped short when he saw us. My eyes locked with his and I could see all the hurt he felt. I think Abby saw it too because she gasped. He looked away and continued on his way to the bathroom.

When he emerged a couple minutes later, he wouldn’t look at us. He was almost at his door when Abby made her decision. “Nick.” He stopped but he wouldn’t look at us. He didn’t say anything, but just the fact that he stopped was enough to know that she had his attention. “We’re going to stay and give you a chance.”

Without turning around, he said. “You were right before, I don’t deserve a chance.” He sounded so defeated. He walked back into his room. I looked at Abby as she got off the couch and approached the door of the suite. I watched her pick up her bag and walk back into the room that we are suppose to share. I followed her example and went into the room to unpack.