- Text Size +
Prologue - February 1996

Jaidyn sat alone in an alley, her back against the wall of an Orlando nightclub. She stared blankly at the dumpster opposite her, her arms resting on her knees, a lit cigarette hanging between her fingers. She makes no motions, except to raise the cigarette to her mouth every few seconds. Breathe in, breathe out.

That’s how she was when he found her. Emotionless and unmoving. The darkness of the night engulfing her, making her seem like a scared child and not the strong 19-year-old young woman that she is and that he knew she could be.

He walked softly and slowly down the alley and stood beside her, awkwardly for a second more before motioning to her cigarette. “That’s a bad habit.” It was the first thing out of his mouth and he could’ve killed himself for it.

She didn’t respond, just took another drag to let her actions speak for her.

Dumbass! he cursed at himself. That was definitely the wrong thing to say. Dumbass! Dumbass, dumbass, dumbass!! He ran his hand through his blonde hair and bit his lip. Do something besides stand there, dumbass! He shifted his weight from foot to foot before sitting down beside her.

It was silent, the only sound being the pounding base that leaked out from the club behind them. He shifts again. It was awkward and uncomfortable alone with her in the dark. Why? Maybe because he had been becoming extremely aware of the four year age difference between them recently. It wasn’t a lot, but it was enough to make him feel more like a child than he really was. He seemed to always find his words failing him. He never knew what to do or say, but he knew he wanted her to see him as something other than that stupid kid that she was practically attached at the hip with. Say something…Do something… his mind urged. He hesitantly wrapped his arm around her and gently stroked her back. She still didn’t move, which was good—she wasn’t going to lash out—and bad—she wasn’t going to do much of anything. After a short moment of debating he decided to speak. And it wasn’t some stupid I’m-trying-to-be-funny-to-lighten-the-mood-but-I’m-failing-miserably kind of comment like his ‘That’s a bad habit’ bit from earlier. It was something intelligent and wiser than his 15 years.

“Jade…” he began, finally finding his voice. He looked down and nervously picked at his shirt. Why was his heart racing? “I know you’re upset because I wasn’t here and because of what happened, but…but you can either let it bring you down hard, or let it be something that just makes you stronger…”

If he had a dime for every time Kevin had told him that…well he would definitely be a little richer. It was something that the older man had said so many times over the past couple years, when it seemed like the group would fail. All the times when their music bombed on the charts, or when stations wouldn’t pick up their tracks. When they had to cancel their U.S. promo tour because there wasn’t enough interest. When ever they felt like absolute crap…that’s what would come out of his mouth. Ever the optimist. Determined that they would make it. Now Nick was determined that Jaidyn would make it. She would pull out of this funk just like she’s done before.

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, huh?” He was surprised to hear her hoarse voice come out of the darkness. His words had brought her crashing back to reality and out of the numb state she had been in. She blinked back the tears that were welling in her eyes. “I just…I feel so horrible for being such a bitch to him…I never got to tell him…tell him that I was sorry…before he…” She bowed her head and he could see her shaking, trying so hard to fight the tears. He instinctively pulled her closer to him.

“Jade…” he gently whispered and reached out to brush a tear away.

“It’s all right, Nick. I’m fine.” She said and stood up suddenly, wiping her wet cheeks. She tossed her cigarette on the ground and smashed it under her foot before outstretching her hand to him. “Come on, Carter.” She offered him a weak smile that he didn’t accept, but he took her hand anyway and she pulled him to his feet. “Let’s get outta here.”