- Text Size +
“But dad….” Kristin stopped when she saw the look on her parents’ faces.

“No buts Kristin. Your mother and I have already explained why we can’t go on the train with you. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.” Harry told his eleven year old daughter who was completely frightened by the fact her parents wouldn't go with her,

“But what if nobody likes me?” She asked.

“They’ll love you. Hogwarts is the best magic school there is. And Hannah and Keylee and Benji are going to be there. You’ll be fine.” He said again.

“We’d better get her on the train Harry. It’s leaving in fifteen minutes.” Ginny told her husband.

The three nervous but excited Potters boarded the train and went in search of a compartment for Kristin to sit in during the journey.

The train was full of first years that looked as if they wanted to be anywhere else in the world besides on a train to a place they had never been to before in their lives. There were also returning students who looked as thought they were going home. More than a few of the parents on board helping their children went to school with Harry so they waved or called out to him.

Halfway through the train they ran into Neville and Luna who were helping their eldest daughters, twins Hannah and Keylee, into a compartment that already held four other kids in it.

“Uncle Harry!” shouted Hannah and ran to him and hugged him.

“Hello Hannah. Excited about going to school I see,” Harry told the little girl
who was known to shout when she was excited.

“Yes I am, Uncle Harry.” She said obediently.

“Neville, Luna, how are you?” Ginny asked, happy to see old friends.

“Ready to burst.” Luna said and patted her stomach with a smile as she turned around to face the Potters.

“You look great honey.” Neville said, kissing his wife.

Then Harry turned around to the other twin and asked,” How are you Keylee?"

She was more on the quiet side. She said," I'm a little nervous but am very happy that Hannah and Kristin are here." Harry smiled.

Neville then turned and asked Kristin how she was.

“Scared.” Kristin announced.

“You should have seen me my first day," Neville said. "Neville, I think mine was worse," Harry added. "I couldn't even find the platform!" The girls giggled and Neville continued, "It’ll be okay once you get into your house. Then all the others will become like a family.”

“That’s what daddy told me too.” She turned around and gave her Uncle Neville a big hug.

“We’d better get going; we can’t be late for my appointment.” Luna said to Neville. “Girls,” she addressed her daughters. “You’ll be okay. Be sure to write and we’ll see you at Christmas.” She gave them kisses on the cheek.

“Bye mum and dad.” The girls said simultaneously.

“Bye girls.” Neville said and gave his daughters hugs. He said when he was done, “Harry, Ginny we’ll see you tomorrow night.”

Neville and Luna got off the train, waved to their girls and disapparated.

Harry, Ginny and Kristin made their way through train cars and finally found a compartment for Kristin on the very last car.

They entered the compartment and Harry looked around. The compartment seemed very familiar to him.

“Harry, look!” Ginny said, pointing to the wall next to the window. It had “H~R~H~F~F engraved in small letters.

Kristin walked over and fingered the letters lightly and asked, “What do they mean, daddy?”

“Harry, Ron, and Hermione Forever Friends. Your aunt Hermione did this on our last ride on the Hogwarts Express after our sixth year. This was the compartment we always rode in.” He answered as he lifted his daughter’s trunk up into the luggage rack that he had lifted his own into so long ago. He felt a flood of memories come back but her held all feelings in.

“Well Krissie, your father and I have to get back to Grandma’s before your brother and sister drive her insane.” Ginny told her daughter.

“B….bye mum, bye dad.” Kristin said shakily to her parents.

“Bye sweetheart.” Harry said, kissing the top of his daughter’s head. "You'll be fine," her mother mouthed from the compartment door .

Harry and Ginny stepped off the train just as the wheels began to move. They stayed long enough to wave to their daughter as the train left the station.
They disapparated seconds later, without seeing the person they never wanted to never be near again.
*********************************************************************************************
Kristin watched her parents disappear and sat back and to stare at the passing scenery.

About ten minutes later there was a knock at the door and a boy, who looked to be Kristin's age, stuck his head in the door. “Do you mind if I sit in here with you?”

“No problem,” She said motioning him in.

“Thanks. Nobody else would let me into their compartments.” He said as Kristen helped him lift his trunk into the luggage rack.

“What’s your name?” she asked.

“Joshua, what’s yours?”

“Kristin Lillian. But you can call me Kris or Krissie. It doesn’t matter.”
“Kristin, it’s nice to meet you.” Joshua smiled, for he felt as though he’d just made a new friend.

“It’s nice to meet you too Joshua.” Kristin said, returning the smile.

At first they didn’t know what to do so they sat quietly, both of them staring out the window.

“Do you have any brothers or sisters?” Joshua turned toward to and asked.

“Yeah, I do. One of each, they're twins. They just turned three. Do you?”

“I’ll have a baby sister soon. My mum’s about ready to pop.”

“Awesome. My aunt just had another baby. So far she and my mother have three each. They both want more though. And I don't mind because I want more siblings and cousins.”

“Cool.” was Joshua’s reply as they again lapsed into silence.

Kristin reached into her bag and pulled out a sketch pad and pencils. Joshua pulled a book out of his.

She began to work on a sketch of her new baby cousin Faith that was almost finished. She was going to give it to her Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron when she was done.

About an hour later, she finished the sketch and sent it off with her owl, Music.

She looked around the compartment for another subject and settled on Joshua.

She decided when she was done she would give it to him.

A few minutes later she was well on her way to a great sketch. He looked up at her and asked, “What are you doing?”

“Drawing you.”

“Why?”

“Because this compartment is small and you were the only interesting subject I could find. Is that alright?”

“Oh. Okay.” He said with a shrug and went back to his book. A little while later an announcement came over the magical intercom system. “All Students:
Change into your school robes. We will be arriving at the Hogsmeade station in ten minutes.”

Kristin asked Joshua to leave the compartment so she could change and he complied. She did the same when she was done dressing so he could change into his robes.

She put her sketch pad and pencils and Joshua his book, away just as they pulled into the Hogsmeade station.

She and Joshua, along with Krystal and Keylee and the rest of the first years, followed the call of, “Firs’ years ov'r 'ere!” And found themselves at the edge of the Black Lake standing in front of Hagrid.

The four of them got into a boat together and the girls screamed when the boats began to move magically on their own after the first years were all seated.

Fortanately, they made it into the Great Hall and stood silently in front of the teachers’ table, awaiting the Sorting.

“What do you reckon we have to do to get into our Houses?” Joshua whispered.

“Two of my uncles tried to get me to believe that we had to wrestle a troll but when I asked my mum and dad about it they told me all you have to do is put a hat on your head and after it’ll tell you where you belong.”

Professor Urban (who in addition to being Head of Slytherin House, was in charge of the Sorting) stood up and called out, “Aubrey, Abbygail.” And she became a Hufflepuff.

They got to Krystal and Keylee Longbottom rather quickly in Kristin’s mind.
They were put in Ravenclaw and Gryffindor.

When the next name (Malfoy, Joshua) was called out, everything changed for Kristin. How was it that the first friend she made at Hogwarts was a Malfoy? According to her parents, all Malfoys were evil, but Joshua had been nothing but nice to her. She shook out of her trance to see where he was sorted into. He was put in Slytherin.

“Potter, Kristin” was called and Joshua’s gasp was heard throughout the Great Hall. How was it that the first friend he made at Hogwarts was a Potter? His father had told him that all Potters were enemies, but Kristin had been nothing but nice to him. She was a Gryffindor.

It was common knowledge that Slytherins and Gryffindors were sworn enemies, but so were the Potters and Malfoys—right?