- Text Size +
I separated from him, and stalked over to my cousin. “What.” He asked, turning to me. “What was that about?” “Nick wanted to dance with you, but you were focusing on me, so I did that.” “Oh.” I laughed, and felt arms wrap around my waist. “Baaby.” Nick cooed, turning me around in his arms. “Whaat?” I mocked, looking back at Marshall. He laughed, and shrugged. “I wanna dance again.” “Again! We just finished.” “Please.” He said, making a puppy face. “Now how can I resist that?” “Yay.” “Let’s make this fun. A dance contest. Me, Skye, Roxie, Ashlynn, and Sarah against you, Kevin, Brian, Howie, and AJ.” “Sure, you pick the song, I’ll get everyone.” I sauntered over to the DJ, and chose “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back) the extended version” by BSB. Nick walked over with everyone, and I cued the DJ. “Okay everyone. Nick wanted to dance with Aly, but she wanted to have a dance off, so here it is.” He started the track, and AJ jumped out. I watched intently, learning his style, thinking who would be best against him. “Sarah.” I said, watching him start to finish up. She walked out, and confidently started to dance. I could see Nick’s eyes watching, whispering to Howie. Sarah stopped, and Howie walked out. Having seen him dance before, I said, “Ashlynn, give them the sexy siren routine.” She nodded, and jumped out the second Howie finished. Nick and Brian’s jaws both dropped, and I saw Nick whisper furiously to Brian, making hand gestures to them and us. Brian nodded, and tied his shoes. Brian walked out, and cranked out moves. “Roxie, go get ‘em.” I said, pushing her out. She smiled, and started to do her thing, making the boys jump over each other to get to her. Kevin stepped out, and I smiled. He did the best moves he had, but I had better. After Kevin stopped, Skye slid out. AJ’s eyes popped out of his head when he saw Skye in all her punk beauty. It took Annie and I twenty minutes to get her ready because she was so picky. Anyway, she cranked out her moves, and Nick slid out. His body moved fluidly, but when it came to his last move, I was already hyper to dance. I back flipped out, and started dancing. Nick grinned when I felt the music flood my body. Whoops and cheers suddenly sounded, and Marshall whispered. “My partner, no one else’s.” He gripped my waist, and I said, “It’s single’s sorry cuz.” He nodded, and slid over to Annie, who was laughing. I cranked out moves, my segment going farther. Everyone else had twenty seconds, but I took thirty. I wiggled my hips, and turned around to face Nick. His mouth was open, and Brian laughed to keep him on Earth. I glided over to him, sexily touching his arm. Brian nearly peed his pants at Nick’s face. I stepped off the dance floor, and said to Skye, “He almost peed his pants.” Then the guys stepped out for a short group dance, and I smiled. “Let’s go girls.” We whooped, and started dancing. Nick walked around to face me, and stepped into the circle. He drew me into his arms, trying to make me weak by turning on his charm. I pushed him away, and kept dancing. The music and we struck a pose. “Okay, okay, okay. Now for the crowd to decide. Who wants the guys to win?” Lots of clapping and whoops followed, but the DJ quieted everyone down. “Okay who wants the girls to win?” The whole place burst into cheers, and the DJ laughed. “The girls win!” We smiled, and I turned to Nick. “Never issue a girl a dancing challenge.” “Where’d you learn to dance like that?” “From shows. Nick I grew up backstage and on the road practically.” “Yeah, I remember my first tour. She was thirteen.” Roxie stated, ruffling my hair. “Sssh, you’re only a year older.” I snapped, brushing her hand off. She laughed, and said, “Still. Nick you should’ve seen her moves. For a thirteen-year-old, she had great moves. She moved like she was twenty-two. Better than my twenty-six-year-old sister.” I laughed, and leaned back against Nick. “Nicky, I’m thirsty.” I whined, turning to face him. He smiled, and said, “Okay.” He left me, and I turned to Roxie. “Girl. He is so whipped.” “I know.” I giggled. Nick came back, and handed me a water bottle. I smiled, and kissed his cheek. “Thanks honey.” “No prob.” Nick said, pulling me into him. Roxie rolled her eyes, and said, “I’m gonna go talk to Josh.” “Okay.” I said, leaning back into Nick.

Two days later, Anne-Marie and I hopped out of our dad’s car. “Bye Daddy.” I yelled, watching him drive away. “Let’s go.” I said, walking inside. Annie followed me until I saw of my friends from the cheerleading squad. Annie walked over to her locker and I said, “Hey.” “Hey hun.” Tanya said, hugging me. “What’s up with how your sister dresses?” Skyla asked, looking over at Anne-Marie.“Nothing.” I said defensively, looking at what they were wearing.“Besides, if you don’t like what Annie’s wearing you don’t like what I’m wearing.” I said, looking at my outfit.“Oh no, you rock that outfit, she just, eew.” Bridget said, shuddering. “Well if you can’t see past her outfit, I guess I ain’t on the cheerleading squad anymore.” I huffed, walking away. “Wait.” Corrine yelled, chasing after me. “Lay off.” I said, yanking my arm out of her grip. I jogged over to Annie, and said, “They were being stupid, and so I quit cheerleading.” “About time.” She grumbled, walking with me to class. I laughed, and slid into my seat, tapping my foot to the beat in my head. The girl next to me glanced at me, but kept her mouth shut. I turned my attention to the board, and began to write.

Six hours later, Anne-Marie and I huffed into our house. Will was stretched across the couch, pain etched in his face. “What’s wrong?” “Someone hurt my arm.” “Who?” “A kid at school.” “Oh.” The doorbell rang, and I ran to answer it. “Marshall?” I asked, standing aside so he could come in. Little did I know, he came bearing bad news.