- Text Size +
Lexy turned her head away-“Goodnight Nick.” She turned her back on him, and fell asleep. Nick looked at her, then sighed. Turning his back on her and also falling asleep. The next morning, Lexy walked out, and sat infront of the fire that had already been started. Brian was in the kitchen this time makin breakfast. He smiled at Lexy-“Good morning. Did ya sleep well? OR did ya have to kick Nick off the bed.”
She laughed-“Surprisingly enough, I slept really well. And he stayed on the bed. It did help to have him there.”
Brian laughed as he shook his head, then pointed-“Speakin of the devil. Good morning star shine!”
Lexy laughed-“The earth says HELLO!”
Nick rubbed his face-“Wow...Charlie and the chocolate fac-“ He was cut off by distant rumbling.-“Sh...do you hear that?”
Lexy looked at him, then listened. Brian also stopped what he was doing-“GUYS!!”
Everyone came out and listened. The rumbling got louder, suddenly everything started shaking again, much more violent this time. Lexy ducked down and put her hands over her head, Nick didn’t even think about it. He lunged forward and wrapped Lexy under his body, holding her head. The shaking was bringing down dust and wood from the ceiling. The chimney also started shooting out ashes, it was getting dusty inside. Everyone stayed down so they wouldn’t fall over. Lexy turn around and buried her face in Nick’s chest, as the rumbling continued. He held her and put his head down, to keep the ashes from entering his lungs. When the rumbling was over, everyone slowly started getting up. Coughing and waving their arms infront of them to keep the dust from irritating them. Kevin directed everyone into his room, to let the dust and ashes settle in the living room. He had two flash lights down turned on-“Ok, seems like this shake was stronger. It knocked the power out, and looks like it brought in more snow. I’m sorry guys, but it is gonna be much harder to keep warm now. I know we are all praying that we get found soon, but you have to remember that the other houses are under snow too.”
Lexy looked down then freaked out-“OH! Emma!! Nick, wat If something happened to their house? She is probably freezing!!”
Nick grabbed her by the shoulders-“Lex, listen...Emma is ok. She is in very good hands. I am sure she is warm, Sandy would keep her warm before warming himself up! That’s why we trust him!”
She nodded, then sat back down. Kevin continued-“OK, tonight we might end up all sleeping in the living room, the more of us, the warmer we will get. The guys will be working on getting the chimney’s dry again so we can cook the foods. WE will be ok, I promise guys.”
After the meeting, everyone walked back out, and immediately felt the cold air. They could actually see their breaths now. The girls started cleaning up the mess, from the shake. While the guys split up to get the fireplaces dry. After hours of cleaning, Lexy went and sat on the couch with a comforter wrapped around her. She sighed, and watched Brian and Kevin work on the chimney.
Lisa then walked up to her-“Hey Lexy, how ya doin?”
Lexy smiled-“I’m tired and cold. Other than that, I am ok.”
Lisa laughed-“Ditto, could you give me a hand over here please?”
Lexy nodded as she got up and walked over to her. Nick was walking by and accidently brushed up against her. She smiled at him, and he smiled back and winked at her. She turned bright red, then ran her hand through her hair. He walked into the kitchen to get a broom. Lexy turned to Lisa who was staring at her-“What was that all about?”
Lexy pretended to be confused-“What are you talking about Lisa?”
Lisa laughed-“Miss Lexy you know exactly what I’m talking about! You and Nick were soo silently flirting!”
Lexy laughed, then stopped when Nick walked back around flashing her a smile again. Lexy then turned away from him, and put her hand up to her mouth so Lisa couldn’t see her smiled again. Lisa laughed as she watched them.
Later on, all the fire places were dry and the one in the living room was on. Lexy laid on the floor Infront of the fire places reading a book, Nick walked out and sat next to her-“Watcha doin?”
She felt her stomach do cartwheels, but hid it from Nick-“Looks like I’m reading a book.”
He smiled then put his hands over the fire-“I’m so cold. Aren’t you?”
She put the book aside and nodded-“Yea. I am freezing. Look you can see my breath.”
He blew out and laughed when his breath came out too. They talked and laughed for a while. Then started talking about their relationship and how it went wrong. Nick scooted closer to Lexy and sat behind her. She leaned back on his chest as he wrapped his arms around her-“Now we might get as warm as everyone else.”
She smiled, and looked up at him, the fire was reflecting in his eyes, he looked down at her, then brushed her lips with his. They were surprisingly warm, making her shiver. She sat up and turned to him as she followed through with his kiss.