- Text Size +
The next day, Kevin paced back and forth. Kristin walked into their room-“Baby, what’s the matter?”
Kevin looked at her-“We are running out of fire wood.”
Kristin looked down-“It’s ok, we can burn things around us, to keep warm until we figure a way out.”
Kevin shook his head-“That’s not it. We are also running out of food. We don’t have much left.”
Lexy stood at the door, listening. She gasped, being the youngest in the whole house, she tended to panic more. Kevin heard her gasp and turned to looked at her. She stood with a worried look on her face-“We’re gonna die down here huh?”
Kristin got up and walked over to her-“No we’re not darling. It’s gonna be ok.”
Lexy shook her head as she stepped back-“No... you know it’s serious when Kevin worries.” She turned around and ran to the room. She passed Nick up and he looked at Kristin who was standing at the door.
Kevin pushed past Kristin, but was stopped by Nick-“What happened?”
Kevin sighed-“She overheard Kristin and I talking. She is panicking Nick!”
Nick put his hand up-“I’ll talk to her.” He ran to the room and found Lexy sitting on the bed facing the window. He walked over to her and kneeled infront of her-“Hey cutie? Wat’s going on?”
Lexy sniffled and looked away, he softly pulled her face to look at him, she looked into his eyes-“I overheard Kevin. He’s worried Nick. He said we were running out of firewood and food! We are gonna die down here!”
Nick shook his head-“No we’re not, pretty girl! I promise you I will do everything in my power to get us out of here. I will not let you die here! Don’t worry ok. Leave it up to us, we will find a way. I assure you.”
Lexy shook her head-“You’re just saying that, aren’t you scared too?”
Nick smiled-“Honestly? I’m terrified. But I use that fear, to work for us getting out. Please trust me, little one we will be ok.”
She smiled as he got up pulling her into a hug-“Thank you Nick.”
He laughed-“Your welcome you big baby.”
She gasped and play hit him, he acted like it hurt. She laughed, then started to walk out of the room, he walked up and put his arm around her shoulder.
Kevin was having a meeting with everyone when they walked in-“Ok, so you understand that we don’t have much time left. So this is what we are gonna do. The guys will put on A LOT of clothes, and we are gonna dig our way out. Getting help for the rest of you.Ok?”
Lexy looked up at Nick, he nodded to Kevin. Then he looked down at her, she shook her head no and wrapped her arms around him. He kissed her forehead and rubbed her back. Lisa stood up-“NO! You can’t do that! It’s dangerous! What if you can’t reach the top? What if you run out of air? No, I am not letting you! I’m sorry but I speak for the rest of us when I say all of this.”
Leighanne spoke up-“She’s right Kev! It’s crazy!”
Brian put a hand on her shoulder-“Baby, it’s the only way we can get out. We have to think of the children Baylee and Emma! They are with Sandy, what if they need firewood and food too.” Leighanne hadn’t thought of that, she looked around suddenly feeling fear for her baby.
Nick spoke, making everyone turn to look at him-“When are we doing this?”
Kevin sighed-“Today, in a few minutes actually.”
Albert stood up-“OK, are we are all going?”
Kevin nodded-“Yes, we are all going to split up into groups of two, and go out different windows. We will meet up at the top.” All the men nodded and went into the rooms to get dressed. Despite the pleas of the women, they got ready. The girls figured it was pointless fighting them, so they all went to the living room to console each other. About an hour later, The guys hugged their girl and kissed them, then headed to their window. Brian and Kevin stood at the window in the living room. Howie, Chris and Albert stood in the window on the other side of the room. Nick and AJ stood at the kitchen window all ready to go. Kevin spoke again-“OK guys. This is where we depart. Best of luck to you all. See you at the top.” The opened the window and started digging upward. Soon they were gone.