- Text Size +
Chapter 3

She didn’t think she had ever been this cold in her entire life. The blanket that had been given to her months before was only covering her upper half and the shoes that she wore were full of holes. The small oven in the corner of the room was only giving out a small amount of heat, which was far from enough to keep her warm.

It was in the middle of the night. She could tell, because the voices outside had disappeared, like they always did when darkness came. Any minute now, he would walk through the old wooden door, like he always did every night. He would sit in the corner by the door and talk to her in a foreign language.

He spoke to her like she was a friend.
She had never seen him before.

Every time he came, she expected him to hurt her or touch her in ways that she didn’t want to be touched.

But he never did.

He kept himself hidden in the dark corner and she had only seen the outline of his face. Sometimes, she thought she saw a pair of sad eyes, but she didn’t know if it was her imagination. Sometimes, she had tried to talk to him to get him to tell her where she was, but every time she opened her mouth to speak, he interrupted her.

A sound could be heard from outside, and she looked up from the worn out mattress where she was sitting. The door slowly cracked open, and a figured entered the room.


~*~

March 2006

“Hey bro! Are you coming out