- Text Size +
Chapter 8

“I can’t believe I agreed to come with you.”

AJ sat down on Nick’s bed, watching his friend tossing clothes out of his closet. It was the next morning, and they were getting ready to leave for Russia in a few hours.

“Black or blue?”
“Huh?” AJ looked questionably at Nick.
“Black shirt or blue shirt?” Nick asked, holding up a shirt in each hand.
“Shirts? You’re bringing shirts?
“Well, I have to wear something…” Nick said, still holding up the two shirts.
AJ sighed. “But shirts? Nick, we’re not going there to party. We’re gonna follow these police officers around all day. It’s fucking Siberia, you’re gonna freeze your balls off…”
“AJ…” Nick whined.
He sighed again. “Fine… blue.”
“Or black?”
“No, blue Nick. Cause it brings out the colour in your eyes.” AJ said sarcastically.
“…?”
“Don’t ask!”
“Okeeeey…. Blue it is then.” Nick said, tossing the blue shirt on top of the pile of clothes that he was bringing.
“Geez Nick. If I hadn’t known better, I would’ve thought you were moving there. You’re bringing more clothes than I am.”
Nick shrugged. “Well… gotta be prepared. Who knows how long we’re gonna be there. I’m not leaving Russia without Ali.” He said, moving over to the huge blue suitcase that was placed on the floor in the middle of the room, and started packing the clothes that he had collected on the bed. “Besides… we’re not starting recording again until September. That’s six months from now.”
“Nick… you can’t stay in Russia for six months.” AJ said, surprised that Nick had even considered doing so.
“I will if I have to.”
“But, what are you gonna---“
“AJ… please.” Nick interrupted. “There’s nothing you can say to convince me otherwise. I’m not asking you to stay that long.”
“Well, I can’t just leave you there!”
Nick looked up at AJ and shrugged before he continued packing.
“You’re lucky I love ya…” AJ mumbled under his breath, not sure if Nick had heard him or not.

In a way, AJ was relived that something finally had happened with the Ali case. It was hard for him and the rest of the guys to see Nick as miserable as he had been for the past year. Nick was one of his best friends, and AJ just couldn’t imagine what he was going through. Just the thought of any of the guys disappearing like Ali had, scared him beyond his own imagination. Watching Nick continue packing, AJ thought back at the conversation he had had with Brian on the phone the night before.

“I just pray that this isn’t another dead end…” AJ sighed after telling Brian about the letter from Russia, and the trip that he and Nick were going on the following day.
“I know man. He’s been through so much. He deserves an answer to all of this. And I mean, I know it’s wrong to say or think this, but I really hope they find her, dead or alive, just so that he can get some closure.”
“I know, but I mean, he’s still so certain that she’s still alive.”
”I’m glad he has faith.”
“Yea, I know.” AJ agreed. “Could you just imagine if that was one of us missing? I don’t think I could’ve given up either. Just thinking about it makes me sick.”
“I can’t imagine it either. Nick’s strong though, and I’m glad he has you there to support him. And don’t forget, I’m only a phone call away if you need to talk.”
”Yea, thanks Bri. Listen, I should start packing.”
“I’ll let you go. Say hi to Nick for me, k?”
“Will do. I’ll call you when we’ve arrived Russia. Tell Leigh I said hi.”
“Ok. Have a safe trip.”
“Bye”
“Bye Jay.”


Talking to Brian had made AJ realise that despite his doubts when it came to finding Ali, he at least had to be there for Nick. He knew it meant a lot to his friend that he was going with him.

“All set!” Nick said, interrupting his thoughts.
That was fast…
“Ok… I guess it’s time to leave then.” AJ said, standing up from the bed and walking towards the door.
“Hey Jay.”
“Yea.” He turned around.
“Thanks for doing this man.”
“No problem. I know you would’ve done the same for me.”

~*~

The letter.
That was all she could think of. Had it reached him? Would it ever reach him? When?

She had so many questions, and knowing that she might never get the answers she needed, tore her apart. She never thought she could miss someone this much. And as she sat there, thinking about him, she realised that it was the little things that she longed for. Things that she had always taken for granted.

Like laughing at his jokes when no one else did, the way he watched over her like she was his little sister, how he never took no for an answer, the way he pouted when he didn’t get his way. She only had the memories now, but as she thought of it, se realised that even his face was starting to fade. What if one day, he would find her, and she wouldn’t recognise him. The thought of it brought tears to her eyes and a small sound escaped her lips.

Pulling the blanket up to her chin, she leaned her head back against the cold wall and looked up at the ceiling. The room was dark again. It seemed forever since she had seen daylight, and she had lost track of day and night. She guessed it was close to midnight, and with that thought, she knew her visitor wasn’t far away.

And she was right. A few minutes later, the heavy wooden door cracked open, and a figure entered the room. She had gotten used to his appearance by then, and she knew that she was facing an hour, maybe two, of listening to him speaking, and only guessing what he was talking about. She waited for him to start, but moments passed, as he stood still in the corner without showing any sign of doing so. She could feel him staring at her, even though she couldn’t see his face.
She never saw his face.

Suddenly, she felt herself tense up and she shifted uncomfortably, pulling her legs up to her chin.

“You… are … cold…? Yes?

She froze...
He had spoken to her. In English… Maybe she was imagining things. But he had said something, and she understood him.
She wanted to replay, but she couldn’t find the words to say. Before she even had the time to think about it, he spoke again.

“This room… cold.”

His English was bad.
She could barely understand what he was saying, but she understood.
And, yes… she was cold. As cold as she’d ever been.

There was something about his voice. It was sad, but yet, it scared her. He seemed restless in a way, like he had prepared for this moment for a long time. The thought scared her. What had he been preparing for? She got a feeling that it was more to it than just speaking to her in her own language.

She looked up at him, trying to catch a glimpse of his features, but it was dark, and he was still hiding in the corner of the room. Just as she was about to look away again, he took a step forward and revealed himself in the dim light from a crack in the door.

She let out a small cry.

His face was covered in scars, his nose was disfigured and somewhere in the dim light, she could trace the outline of a broken jaw. As she watched him, he continued to take small steps closer to her, and she could feel herself shiver.

“I… am … sorry.”

He reached her mattress and leaned over her. She could feel herself becoming dizzy from the fear that washed over her, and she closed her eyes in hopes that he wouldn’t hurt her.