- Text Size +
Chapter 1

Christmas 2004

“Seriously, I just can’t understand why we never get tired of that movie.”
Alicia Parker tossed herself down on the couch next to Nick and stretched out her long legs on the coffee table in front of her. Nick laughed and used the remote control to turn of the TV.
“It’s a classic Ali, and classics never make it to the boring stage.”
“Nick, it’s the Goonies… It was made for 12 year olds to watch.” Ali rolled her eyes.
“Yea, but you know what? Somehow I always feel 12 when I’m with you.”
“Gee… thanks!” Ali said sarcastically throwing a pillow in his direction.
“You welcome.”
Ali was just about to respond when her phone rang. She reached over to the coffee table and grabbed it.

“Ali speaking.”
Nick looked over at her as her lips formed into a smile.
“Todd, hi!” She giggled.
Nick rolled his eyes and pretended to get sick, as Ali continued to speak.
“Tomorrow? Sure… ok… yup. I’m at Nick’s… yea… ok, sure. Se ya! Bye.”
She hung up and turned her attention back to Nick who was staring at her in disbelief.
“What?” She asked.
“Seriously, Ali. When are you gonna stop seeing that jerk?”
Ali sighed. “Nick, we’ve had this discussion before…”
“I know, and we’re gonna continue to talk about it until you come to your senses.” Nick said firmly.
“Nick… I like Todd, and I just don’t understand why you’re making such a big deal out of this. You don’t even know the guy, so just leave it, ok?”
“No, I won’t just leave it.”
“Why not?” Ali was starting to get irritated, and she raised her voice slightly.
“Because I care about you Ali, and I don’t want to see you get hurt. You’re my best friend, and I’m doing this to protect you.”
“Protect me from what? He’s just a guy Nick. And why is it that every time I meet someone, you always have something negative to say about him?” Ali waited for Nick to answer, but just as he was about to open his mouth, she interrupted him. “You know what? Don’t answer that. This discussion is over. I don’t want to argue with you Nick. I should be heading home anyway.”
Nick sighed, glad that she had stopped him from saying something that he would regret later.
“Fine.” He said as Ali stood up from the couch. She gave him a hug and a light peck on the cheek. “I’ll call you tomorrow after my date.”
“Ok…”
“Love ya Prick.”
And before he could answer, she was gone.
Nick sighed again. “Sure…” he said to himself.

She was always like that. Every time they were starting a discussion, she would finish it up before Nick had made his point. And this time was no exception. Maybe it was a good thing after all… she knew him well enough to know when enough was enough, but she also knew how to push his buttons.

That was Ali in a nutshell; consistent, stubborn and honest.

Nick knew their discussion was far from over, but decided to leave it and talk to her about it the next day.

~*~

“Come on Ali, pick up!” Nick was pacing around in his kitchen waiting for Ali to answer his call. “Damn it!”

It was almost midnight the next day, and Nick had been trying to call Ali for the past few hours. He knew she would be home from her date with Todd by then, and it was not like her not to answer her cell. He was starting to get worried that something might have happened to her. Nick looked down at his cell phone and decided to call Todd to see if she was still with him. Ali had left Todd’s number with Nick a few weeks ago ‘just in case’.
He quickly found the number that was saved on his phone and waited impatiently for Todd to answer.

“Hello?”
“Todd?” Nick asked hesitantly.
“Who’s this?”
“Umm… it’s Nick, Alicia’s friend.”
“Oh… hi.” He sounded irritated.
“Is Alicia with you?”
“No, why?”
“Do you know where she is?”
“How would I know?” He answered like he was spitting each and every word into the phone with the intention of getting Nick to feel even more uncomfortable than he already was.
“Didn’t you have a date with her today?”
“She never showed up.”
Nick felt a knot in his throat at his words.
“What do you mean she never show up?”
“Just that… She was supposed to come over to my place around noon, but she never did?”
“Did you try to call her?”
“What do you think? Of course I did. That bit*h never answered.”
Nick felt himself heat up over the words that Todd was using, but decided not to comment on it. The most important thing for him to do at that moment was to find out where Ali was.
“And you don’t know where she is?” He asked again.
“Are you deaf or something? I told you I don’t know where she is, but if you find her, tell her to call me. I need to talk to her.”
“Sure.”
Not

Nick sighed and hung up. He felt his heart sink as he realized that he hadn’t gotten any closer to finding out where Ali was by calling Todd.
Only one thing left to do.
He grabbed his car keys on the counted and quickly made his way out of the house.
As Nick sat in his car on the way over to Ali’s apartment, he started thinking about his relationship with her.
They had been best friends since they were kids. Nick was 5 and Ali was 4 when Ali’s family had moved next door to the Carter’s. They had instantly become friends, and as the years went by, they became inseparable. Ali was like a sister to Nick, and he loved her as much as he loved his own family. She was someone he could always talk to whenever he needed to clear his mind, as he was always there for her the same way as she was always there for him. Nick smiled a little to himself as he thought about everything that had happened to them over the years.
As he got closer to her apartment, he felt his heart starting to race.

What if something had actually happened to her? What would he do?

He parked his car in front of the apartment complex where she lived and looked up at her bedroom window on the second floor. The lights were on, and Nick let out a sight of relief. Maybe she was home after all. He quickly got out of his car and ran up the stairs to the second floor. He approached her front door to find it unlocked.
Nick paused outside for a few moments, wondering if he should get mad at her for not answering the phone, or if he should be glad that she was ok? Quietly, he opened the door and peeked his head inside.
“Ali?” He said her name out loud so that she would have a chance to prepare herself for his visit. Nick paused for a few moments before stepping into the apartment.
He looked around.
Most of the lights were on, but the place seemed awfully quiet.
“Ali?” He said her name again, this time, a little louder.
Nick began searching the apartment, room by room, his heart racing a little faster for each room he found empty.
“Alicia?” He reached the last room, her bedroom.
Maybe she’s just asleep?
Nick pushed the door open, and his eyes wandered over to her bed and to every corner of the room.
She’s not here…
She’s not here…

Shit.