- Text Size +
...he took a deep breath and picked up the phone.


“Okay..tell me now” he said immediately.

“Is this Mr Brian Littrell?” an unfamiliar male voice asked on the other side

“Ye…how are you?” Brian asked irritated. He had expected Leighanne to be the one calling.

“My name is Paul Lampert and I’m a male nurse at the Atlanta Medical Center. I’m sorry, but I have to tell you that there has been an accident involving your wife. I’ need you to come here as fast as possible” the male voice explained.

“An accident?” Brian was dumbfounded.

“Yes Sir, someone is going to explain everything to you as soon as you get here.”

“I’ll be there in a minute!” Brian practically shouted into the phone since finally the words ‘accident’ and ‘your wife’ had sunken in.

Brian left the phone without bothering to hung it up, grabbed the key to his car and left.

After he had climbed into his car and rushed out off he realised that he was only wearing some old jogging pants and an rather older looking T-shirt, but he couldn’t have cared less. He drove as fast as he could without crashing as well, trying hard not to think about what had happened to his wife and…

“Baylee!” Brian screamed.

This nurse had said nothing about Baylee. Maybe he wasn’t hurt. Maybe he had been brought into a pediatric clinic. Maybe…Brian tried not to think any further.

Brian swore when he saw that in front of him a traffic jam had started to form and already a formed quite a row. There was no way of turning the car now, so Brian had to sat right there waiting for the cars in front of him to move.




“She has got fatal internal bleedings. I don’t think she’ll make it. Is her husband here already?” Dr Robben asked Paul, the stations nurse while putting down the papers of his patient.

“No, Doctor. I tried to call again, but the phone is busy. But according to the area he is living, he’ll need another half an hour to get here.

“Let’s hope she’ll hang in there for so long” the doctor said not sounding to confident.


Finally the cue of cars started to move forward slowly. Brian impatiently drummed his fingers on the starring wheel. After some more minutes, he was finally able to see what had caused the traffic jam as he passed the police cars and caught a glimpse of a totally destroyed car which had obviously crashed though the barricade between the both roadways and there had hit another car coming from city direction.

Brian’s movements froze as he now could identify the wreck of the car that had been hit. He felt the urge to scream, but couldn’t find his voice. It felt as if there was no oxygen left in his lungs as he spotted he children’s seat lying near the car.

Without noticing, Brian had stopped his car in the middle of the small part of the road that as passable for cars, and the people behind him had already started to honk.

He simply wasn’t hearing it. And if so, he did not notice it. He sat there, his hands clenched the steering wheel tightly, starring at what was left of his wife’s last birthday present he had given to her.

The honking continued, and finally one of the police officers noticed and found the cause of it.



“Man, go ahead. Here is nothing to be seen!” he shouted towards Brian’s direction, looking angry already.

Officer Jake Samson was a normally really quite and nice man, but accidents like this sometimes caused him to loose his temper. Some mad young guy had simply overestimated himself and had lost control of his car, breaking straight through the roadway edging and hitting another car head on. He had had no chance. The woman and the small boy in the other car had been injured badly.

He hated evenings like this. Here had been absolutely no reason for loosing control of a car. The streets were dry, the was no fog or sun which could have dazzled the driver. He simply had been too fast.

The SUV which caused the passing line of cars to stop and honk still wasn’t moving

This was another thing Samson hated. Looker-ons. Why could people be so damn curious about an accident like this. They should be glad they weren’t involved, since everyone coming out of the city could have been it.

Samson almost lost it now. This job was hard enough without having to argue with stupid people who hold up everyone to get a better look at what had happened.

He walked towards the direction trying to get a first look at the driver to estimate what kind of person he was. Sometimes it was an older woman who now was afraid to drive any further. Who knew?

Finally Samson spotted a man inside the car. He wasn’t looking at the wreck or the policemen at the place of the accident. He looked straight ahead, his hands gripping the starring wheel so hard that his knuckles had started to turn white.

The officer calmed down a little. This was one of those who simply had to be convinced that nothing bad would be happening to them.

He finally reached the driver’s window and tapped it lightly, not wanting to cause the driver to freak even more. The driver, he must have been around his late twenties or early thirties with blond hair didn’t react at all. His gaze was still fixed on particular nothing in front of him.

Samson tapped again at the window, this time a little more forcefully.

“Hey man, open the window!”

The man still didn’t react.

Samson carefully tried to open the door. It wasn’t locked. It took all this bravery to actually reach inside the car and shake the man’s shoulder to get a response. Hey, at least this was the United States. There were insane people with guns in their cars killing simple police officers all around.

Finally the man turned his head finally noticing the policeman next to his car.

“What’s up with you? You holding up the traffic! You need to drive on, nothing is going to happen to you!” Samson tried to be comforting. Suddenly he was angry at the still honking cars behind the SUV.

“That…that is my wife’s car over there!” the man finally choked out, his gaze totally empty of emotions when he looked with deep blue eyes directly in Jake Samson’s face which was now turning pale.