- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for all your reviews. I hope you'll like the next chapter nevertheless. Remember, this is pure fiction. ;-)
Jake Samson knew to which hospital they had brought the wife of that driver, who he know knew, was called Brian Littrell. The officer had decided that it was safer to driver Mr Littrell to the AMC, although the man already had calmed down a little.

Now Samson was driving this expensive looking SUV with Brian sitting next to him quietly. Suddenly he remembered being an officer meant comforting and calming people in situations like this, so he thought about something useful to say.

He tried to start the information by telling the man next to him that they would reach the hospital in ten minutes.

“Okay…” was all that came back.

“Look, Mr Littrell. I know how you must be feeling…” Samson tried to be comforting.

Brian said noting for a moment. Then, in a real quiet and calm voice he said “Do you really know?”

“To be honest? No. But I do have a wife, and I can imagine…”

“No you can’t” Brian interrupted without even looking at the officer.

“You are right, I’m sorry Mr Littrell” he gave up on saying something.

“Brian”

“Excuse me?” now the officer was confused.

“It’s Brian, not Mr Littrell. And I have to be sorry. I know you just want to comfort me. Thank you!” Brian said calmly, now even looking at the man driving his car.

“Officer Jake Samson”.

“Officer Samson, have you been at the place of the accident right after it happened? Do you know anything about my son?” Brian asked with a worried voice.

A son? It looked like the man was in his early thirties which meant young son. The child seat! O god, could there have been a child in the car?

“No sorry, when I came there, all injured where already brought here!” he nodded in the direction of the hospital which could now be seen just some more streets away.

“Why wouldn’t they tell me on the phone? They told me that my wife was injured, but they said nothing about my son. Could it be possible that he was brought to another hospital?” Brian asked nervously.

Jake Samson chest felt like a dozen tons where lying upon him. The chances that they had brought the mans son somewhere else than the AMC were slim, since they could provide best medical help towards children in whole Atlanta.

“How old is that son of yours?” Samson asked to win some time before answering Brian’s question.

“He’s three and a half! His name is Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell” Brian explained.

“To be honest with you again, I don’t know anything about him. You might asked the doctors about him. Look, we are here!”

Samson was glad he didn’t really have to answer that questions. By the look of the wreck and the fact that the child seat was obviously thrown out of the car when the accident happened, he doubted that any three years old could have survived it. But he was the last one wishing to tell Brian.

They entered the hospital heading straight for the ER. When they got there, they asked the first nurse they could find about Brian’s family.

“Excuse me. I’m Officer Samson of the APD and this is Mr Brian Littrell. His wife was brought here after an car accident” he explained firmly.

“Oh yes, Mr Littrell. Doctor Robben wanted to talk to you as soon as you got here. Would you please follow me? Officer” she nodded in Samson’s direction and started to head off making sure Brian was following.

“Thank you Officer Samson” Brian said over his shoulder while trying to stay close behind the nurse.

Samson watched Brian and the nurse heading though a door and then decided to get a cup of coffee while he was waiting for one of his colleagues to pick him up, since he had come here by Brian’s car.

He let out a sigh and turned to find a vending machine.



Brian silently followed the nurse till they reached a small office. The sign on the door said that Dr M. Robben was it’s owner, and the head of ER.

The nurse knocked and opened the door just a little.

“Mr Littrell is here now” she said.

Brian heard a movement inside the office, the door was opened completely and a tall black man with a light green doctors coat was reaching out his hand for Brian to shake.

“Mr Littrell, my name is Doctor Marcus Robben. I’m the head of AMCER. I need to have a quick talk to you.” He said professionally.

Brian simply nodded and followed the Doctor back inside the office.

“Mr Littrell, I’m gonna make this real quick, which doesn’t make it any easier. You wife, Leighanne, was brought here with several serious injuries, containing internal bleedings and a real serious head injury.” He paused to let the news get to Brian.

Brian was happy he was already sitting. Internal bleeding? Head injuries? This could not be true.

“I’m sorry, but I have to tell you that your wife currently slipped into coma. She needs immediate kidney transplantation and likely a new liver” the Doctor continued, watching the man in front of him. He knew who he had sitting in front of him, and who he was telling the next part of the news.

“I already called several transplantation-centres as well as EuroTransplant. There is not a big chance that the fitting organs will reach here in time. And even if so, Mr Littrell, the head injuries of you wife are so severe that we are currently running some tests, because currently it looks like…” he trailed off, afraid that the man sitting in front of him, looking as if he did not believe anything of what he had been telling him was about to break down.

“It looks like what?” Brian felt numb. Just numb.

“It looks like she’s already brain dead”