- Text Size +
Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve: More Than A Woman

Midnight Grindin'…My Heartrate's Climbin'…You Go, I Go…Cause We Share Pillows… Taste Me, Feed Me…There's Still No Separating…Morning Massages…With New Bones In Your Closet…I'll Be…I'll Be More Than A Lover…More Than A Woman…More Than Your Lover…I Said I'll Be…I'll Be More Than Another…More Than A Woman…More Than Another…I'll Be…(I'll Be More) More Than Your Lover…(More) More Than A Woman…(More) More Than Your Lover…I'm Gonna Be…(I'll Be More) More Than A Lover…(More) More Than A Woman…(More) More Than Another…(**)

Alyssa chuckled to herself as she unbuttoned the shirt she had been wearing tossing it over at him as she continued to dance to the music. She knew he’d love this as a birthday present…one of his fantasies fulfilled. Just as the song was finishing she’d gotten down to wearing just her bra and underwear along with thigh high stockings and high heels. She smiled and walked over to him straddling his lap, looking him straight in the eyes she smiled and said, “Happy birthday…”

He smiled back before kissing her slowly allowing his hands to run up her legs over her hips and up her back making her shudder a little. She pulled away a second later just looking at him. “What?” He asked.

“Nothing just pleased you liked your present.” She replied laughing a little as she got up reaching for his hand taking them to the bed.

A while later….

“Good birthday?” Alyssa asked as she sat reclined against him as they sat on the floor in the living room up against one of the couches. Neither of them really paying much attention to the Suns game on television.

He rolled his eyes and smiled at her, “Well as long as we can celebrate like this next year…or tomorrow.”

She gave him a quick kiss then asked, “You really liked this huh?”

“I can honestly say that I seriously don’t mind getting a striptease….especially when you wear thigh highs and heels.”

She laughed a little, “Lori’s idea....”

“Remind me to buy her something obscenely expensive to say thank you.”

Alyssa giggled at him, “Well I’m glad you enjoyed your present…hell saved me from shopping for the guy who literally has everything.”

“Especially after Christmas…you think your parents after a certain age would stop spoiling everyone.”

Alyssa smiled, “Well they had a helluva lot more people to buy for this year, since your siblings decided to come.”

“I’m glad they did.” Nick replied.

Alyssa sighed, “Yeah I know how much you miss them…Aaron and Angel living with your dad now…Leslie with your mom and Bobbie bouncing between Florida, LA and New York… It was really nice to have them all together in one place.”

“It’s weird how I’ve become the parent in all this family bullshit.”

Alyssa looked up at him smiling, “That’s because you’re the oldest….and with that comes certain responsibilities when a family falls apart like that.”

“That’s why I love your family…you guys have always been so close…all driven and determined to have separate lives yet when it comes down to it you all know how much family means.”

Alyssa smiled, “What did my dad say to you when he pulled you aside that day?” She asked.

He knew she was going to ask about this and decided to give her the condensed version, “Well he was saying how wonderful it was to have most of my family included with you guys and that if someday I was ever inclined toward asking you to marry me that I had his blessing.”

“Whoa…He seriously said that?” Alyssa said sitting up straight turning around to face him.

He smiled at her, “Yeah he said that he knows we’re just friends but that he’s never seen you happier than when we’re together.”

Alyssa sat back a second thinking…Had her father figured her out? Did her emotions really show that much when they’re together? “What did you say?”

“I thanked him for his blessing and that if I were ever to consider getting married that it would be to you.”

She looked at him a little shocked by that statement, “You could honestly see yourself growing old with me? Having kids?”

“Hell yeah…seriously I’ve grown up a lot these past couple of years and I’m not saying that I want to have kids today….just in the future I’d like that with us.”

Two weeks later…

“So Alyssa are you all set up?” Dr. Dietrich asked.

Alyssa smiled warmly, “Yep all set up….the tour doesn’t start up again until March 24 but I’m going to be traveling with them until then as they make the final touches on the album.”

“Good, now if you need any help day or night, you just call me or email me and I’ll try to help you out alright?”

“Sure.” Alyssa replied as they walked out of the building together.

The professor smiled, already confident she’d made the right decision in pushing the department to hire Alyssa. They had originally been a little reluctant to hire her being a new graduate, and not having much experience under her belt. But after seeing her thesis, and her ability to juggle, work, school and social lives had convinced them otherwise. “Now you have a great Valentine’s day you hear!” She shouted from her car as Alyssa was walking away.

“I will, thanks Jennifer.” Alyssa said before walking to her Audi noticing a rose and a note on her seat. “I could have sworn I locked this up when I went in.” She mumbled to herself as she picked up the rose and the attached note getting into the car and closing the door. She smelled the rose which was one of her favorite kinds…a peach rose and opened the note recognizing who wrote it immediately.

Happy Valentine’s day Lissa,

…See you at home

Nick.

Alyssa smiled at the note, she knew he’d do something like this even though she’d told him not to. She drove home quickly already wondering what he’d planned for them. She got about half way into the driveway when she saw a trail of peach, white, red and purple roses leading from the street up to the door. She went and picked each one up totally to about 24 as she got to the door opening it and putting in the security code.

She walked in instantly recognizing the smell that wafted throughout the house….chicken marsala…her favorite meal that her dad made. She smiled seeing rose petals everywhere and vases of her favorite roses all over the house. She walked into the kitchen after putting the flowers in her hand into a vase near by. Alyssa laughed a little at the mess he’d made trying to recreate her favorite meal.

Nick looked up from behind the island stove in the center of the kitchen and smiled back wiping his hands as he walked over to her. “I thought I told you not to buy me anything.”

He smiled at her, “I know what you said and I didn’t ignore it.”

She rolled her eyes at him a little surprised that he’d do this for her let alone cook. “I thought you didn’t know how to cook?” She asked suspicious that he may have ordered out.

“I don’t…but I called Jamie and had him fax over the recipe. I know how much you love this so I thought instead of buying an overly expensive gift I’d make you dinner.”

“And spend an insane amount on flowers. The house looks like a florist.” She replied.

“Actually you’re never going to guess where I got these…”

Alyssa raised her eyebrows “Where then?”

He smiled at her, “Remember when Kellie was talking about how her parents have that huge rose garden at their Bell-Air home?”

“Yeah?”

“Well I called Kellie asked her what kind of roses you liked since we never talked about it and she gave me the idea and we went over and got all of these…twelve dozen just in the vases and about 6 dozen more that we used the petals to scatter around the house.”

“So how much did you spend?” She asked.

He laughed at her, she was always concerned about people spending money on her, “A tank of gas, and the food.” He replied avoiding specifics.

She smiled at him helping him putting the finishing touches on their dinner. They walked over sitting down at the dining room table. “So ummm this is our first Valentine’s Day…together huh?”

He looked up from filling up a bowl with the tossed salad he made handing it to her. “Exactly why I did this, something to remember ten years from now.”

She laughed a little taking the bowl from him, “You are really certain you want me that long huh?”

He handed her a plate filled with the chicken marsala, and fettuccini alfredo and replied, “I told you…I want you in my life….come hell or high water you’re my girl.”

“I know you told me…still a little shocked that you are actually serious about a relationship.” Alyssa responded before taking a drink of her water.

He smiled a little, “Don’t be shocked...the reason why I’m serious about this is we don’t have to go through the ‘getting to know you’ phase that most people do...we already know each other better than anyone else. I just hate not being able to tell anyone.” He admitted.

A silence grew over them as they ate. Alyssa sat there eating and thinking...what he said still processing in her head. She knew why she didn’t want people to know...she thought she had made that pretty clear. But she let it go...she hated arguing and since it was Valentine’s day she decided against ruining the evening he’d planned for them.

A week later...

Alyssa ran down the stairs hearing the doorbell for the third time. She rolled her eyes seeing AJ and Nick over on the patio area looking out over at the beach, smoking, making no attempt to answer the door. She opened the door without looking a little surprised to see the three of them on the other side. “Hey what’s up?” She asked as they walked in the house.

“Dad is pissing Angel and me off is it ok if she and I crash here for a few days?” Aaron asked.

Alyssa smiled at him, “Ask your brother first.” She stated giving him a hug. “And Bobbie what’s going on with you?”

Bobbie looked at her she was exhausted mainly from traveling all over the place, “Looking for a place to crash before I go house hunting here in town. Ya know just temporary.” She replied as Alyssa gave her a hug.

“Yeah I know what you mean.” Alyssa replied as they all walked out towards the patio.

Nick looked over seeing two of his sisters and his brother walk out to them, “Hey what’s going on?” He asked as he noticed his brother’s pissed off expression.

“They’re looking to crash here for a few days, it alright?” Alyssa asked.

Nick smiled, “It’s totally fine we’ll make up the guest bedrooms for ‘em.”

Angel smiled at him and walked over giving him a hug, “Thanks Dad and Ginger were driving us nuts.”

Nick laughed a little as he pulled away from her, “I’ll bet...what did they do now?”

Aaron plopped himself down on one of the lounge chairs sulking a little, “She tried to be all motherly and tell us we couldn’t stay out late...and Dad was like listen to your step-mom. It’s like if we wanted a mother we’d go live with Leslie and mom.”

“I think it’s worse now that she’s pregnant…God that’s weird.” Angel stated

Nick chuckled a bit, “Well it should be we’re all old enough to be it’s parents. And B what are you doing here?”

“I’m just looking to crash here until I go house hunting.” Bobbie added.

“Permanently moving to California?” AJ asked.

Bobbie smiled, “Possibly, I miss being around the only sane member of the family.” She remarked referring to Nick.

“Then why didn’t you move by Ginger, and her family.” Nick shot back referring to their older half sister.

Bobbie rolled her eyes, “You know what I mean geek. Besides I was referring to you considering you’re the only one in this family that’s actually gotten your life under control.” She answered.

Alyssa laughed, “All of you must be psycho if Nick’s the only sane one.”

“Standing right here....go inside if you’re gonna bash me.” Nick replied.

“Oh come on you can take the tabloids calling you a possessive woman beater...but you can’t take that?” Angel asked smiling at him.

“Since when did you become little miss smart ass?” Alyssa asked.

Angel started laughing, “I learned from the best...” She retorted referring to Alyssa’s sarcasm.

That night...

“So how come you and my brother haven’t hooked up yet?” Angel asked.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, thankful Nick was in the office talking to one of the guys on the phone. “Because....”

“Because what?”

“Because she’s waiting for me to turn 18.” Aaron retorted smirking to himself as Nick walked in the room.

Alyssa rolled her eyes again, “Keep dreaming kiddo...”

Nick laughed as he sat next to her on the floor, “Seriously why keep trying if all you’re going to get is shot down?” Nick asked.

Aaron chuckled a bit, “Well if you aren’t tapping’ her someone should.”

“AARON!” Alyssa exclaimed blushing a little, “Geez make me sound like I’m just a piece of meat here.”

Aaron rolled his eyes, “What if I was living with someone as fine as you....man I’d be all over that.”

Alyssa kept blushing and buried her head on Nick’s shoulder, “Nick make him stop...”

Nick laughed a little, “Aaron cool it ok?”

“What a guy can’t even compliment a girl?”

Alyssa lifted her head up, “First of all that’s a come on not a compliment. Secondly you’re 17...can you say jailbait. Thirdly you’re family to me and personally I’m not into incest so no way.” Alyssa explained barely stifling a yawn.

“You tired?” Nick asked.

Alyssa yawned again, “Yeah...I think I’m going to go up to bed.” She replied scratching her nose.

Nick noticed the signal she gave him, a few weeks back they’d devised a plan that when they’d go on tour that if she wanted to be alone with him that she’d say she’s tired and scratch her nose...the same for him. “Ok I’m a little tired too so I’m probably going to go to bed soon anyways.” He replied as she smiled at him saying good night to everyone and walking up the stairs going into her old bedroom.

About two hours later Nick closed up the house as since everyone else had gone to bed. He trudged up the stairs and into his bedroom seeing Alyssa lying on the bed reading in her normal pajamas, basketball shorts and a tank top. Alyssa looked up from her book when she heard the door open smiled seeing Nick standing there. He pushed the door closed...but it stayed open slightly as Alyssa marked her place in the book closing it and getting up walking over to him. “So everyone went to bed?” She asked a devious smile.

“Yeah...but you better be quiet.” He answered pulling her to him as they began to kiss. He backed her up slowly towards the bed as she pulled away to take her hair out of the messy bun it had been in. She turned and threw the hair tie onto the night stand and came back lifting his shirt off of him as they continued to kiss now parallel to the bed.

Meanwhile Bobbie walked out of the bathroom down the hall rubbing her eyes. She saw the light coming from Nick’s room and decided to see if he was still awake. As she got closer she heard what sounded like two people kissing, and heavy breathing. She laughed to herself figuring she’d embarrass him for watching porn, but as she came to the door she peered in gasping at what she saw....

Nick and Alyssa making out...his hands up her shirt and her hand down the front of his jeans. She stayed a second as Nick lifted Alyssa up against him, her legs wrapping around his waist, as he lowered them both onto his bed. Bobbie backed herself away from the door going to the guest room Angel was staying in going in and sitting next to Angel, “Ang wake up.”

“Hmmm what?” She asked a bit groggy.

“You are never going to believe what I just saw...”

(**) More than a woman by Aaliyah