- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ooh! I tricked you! I beat my own deadline and decided to put this chapter up before Friday because I'm gonna be super busy tomorrow. So, here's the next bit of Proving Them Wrong. Enjoy and don't forget to review! The more you review, the better the story! Especially if you leave suggestions as to what you'd like to see in the next chapter or even in the story's future!
P.S. As a note, no, i didn't know Aaron was going to be engaged before the last chapter, but I decided to use that to my advantage. Enjoy!
“This is beyond irresponsible, Aaron! How could you do this to us?” Nick was surprised his head hadn’t exploded yet. Just when he’d thought Aaron was starting to grow up a little, he did something unbelievable and set everything back. As he paced the kitchen, Nick rubbed his temples where a headache was beginning to thrum. “The nerve, Aaron, the fucking nerve you have to pull this shit amazes me.”

“Why?” Aaron smirked, slouching in his seat at the table. “Because your baby bro is doing something before you? Big, bad Nick Carter’s been there and done almost everything first…except marriage. Jealous, Nick? Wish you’d gotten to it before I did?”

Nick shot a glare over his shoulder and slammed his fist on a countertop. “I’m not jealous, baby bro. I’m just wondering what this chick is holding over your head that made you ask her to marry you?”

“It’s love, Nick.” Aaron wiggled his brows. “I’m in love, and I feel great! Why can’t I get married to the woman I love?”

“Because she’s a whore?” Angel suggested as she stalked into the room and aimed a hateful look at her twin. “I can’t believe what you’ve done, Aaron.”

Aaron rolled his eyes. “Am I gonna get lectured by the entire family? I mean, BJ got to me on the phone when I called her the other night, but I was saved by the off button on my cell. Leslie dragged me out of bed this morning, and, now, you two. Lay off, will you? I’m happy, why the hell can’t you let me be?”

“Because we’re the Carters, and if it’s not one thing, it’s two thousand others that are plaguing us,” BJ replied as she walked in and smacked a magazine to Nick’s chest. “Apparently, Aaron’s not the only Carter male who got some action that night.”

Nick’s brows furrowed as Angel, Aaron, and BJ watched him. “I don’t get it. I didn’t do anything the other night.”

“That’s not what the tabloids say. I just brought you the nicest one of the bunch.” BJ rolled her eyes and, pulling out a cookbook, began flipping through it. “Pathetic. That’s what the two of you are.”

Nick didn’t hear her, though, as he stared at the cover of the tabloid. He couldn’t believe it, but he had no choice. Heads were going to roll and soon.

***

“Um…wow.” She stared at the computer screen and found herself at a loss for words.

“Autumn?” Leah, her publicist, sounded worried.

Autumn shook herself. “I’m here. I just don’t know what to say.”

“I’ve been fielding calls all morning about this. Plus, I’ve tried getting in touch with Nick’s people. So far, they haven’t gotten back to me,” Leah explained. “I think the Carter camp is currently a little crazy over Aaron’s engagement at the moment.”

Autumn took deep breaths before speaking again. “What have you told the callers?”

“No comment. At least, not until I know what’s going on,” Leah added.

“Right.” What was going on? Autumn’s brain asked, confused. “Uh, Leah? Is there any way that I could see the rest of the pictures or the articles?”

Leah made a hmm-ing noise. “Well, unless you want to subscribe to Us Weekly, National Enquirer, or People online, you’ll have to actually go and get those tabloids from a store.”

“Why do you make that sound like a bad thing?” Actually, she’d made it sound downright dangerous, and Autumn was beginning to be worried instead of surprisingly amused.

Leah chuckled. “Honey, do you know how impossible it will be for you to buy a magazine with your face on the cover? The cashier finds out who you are, he’ll run screaming for everyone else to come see Autumn Evans. Before you know it, you’re surrounded by bloodthirsty paparazzi who won’t let go until they’ve got every last, juicy piece of you.”

Autumn gulped. “Well, when you put it that way…”

“Why don’t you just relax, and don’t worry about getting any comments out until tomorrow. If they’ve died down by then, which I doubt, we’ll sit down and come up with something.” Leah paused. “There’s nothing between you and Nick Carter, is there?”

“No, nothing romantic. Why?”

There was a moment’s silence. “I wouldn’t want you getting hurt, Autumn. He’s not exactly known for being the most faithful man nor was he ever boyfriend of the month. Be careful with the people in those celebrity circles.”

“I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks, Leah.” Autumn stared at the picture on the computer screen for another moment then turned it off. “I’ll call you tomorrow?”

“Sure thing. Have a good day, and don’t leave the house.”

Autumn grinned. “No problem. Thanks, Mom.” And hung up before Leah could reply.

It had been two days since the Radio Music Awards, and, all of a sudden, the tabloids were flooded with pictures of her and Nick. She didn’t even know when they’d taken the photos that were now gracing the shelves of grocery stores, but, while they weren’t the raciest of pictures, they were still provocative enough to get the paparazzi apparently sniffing her down like bloodhounds. Instead of being horrified, though, she was curious. What had they written about her and Nick? Were they implying that they were a couple? Because that was definitely laughable. She barely knew Nick, and she could count the number of times that they’d spoken on one hand. He wasn’t as bad as the media made him out to be, and she certainly felt sorry for him because of the way his siblings had acted each time she’d met them. Other than that, he now knew more about her than any of the interviewers she’d ever sat down with knew.

Which could be dangerous.

As soon as the thought entered her mind, Autumn shook it off. Nick wouldn’t use knowledge like that against her. Besides, what would it do to her image? Nothing because she’d done nothing wrong. Nick, along with other celebrities, knew what it was like to want to protect your life, and she couldn’t imagine anyone leaking out any “inside” information about a fellow artist to the media. So why was she worrying? Autumn asked herself.

She had a glorious ten days off from any work, interviews, appearances, and auditions. Ten days to spend doing whatever she felt like doing. Including, she thought as she watched Lily toddle into the room, spending quality mother-daughter time with her baby.

“Mama?” Lily held out her arms for her, and Autumn scooped the baby into her arms.

“Your mama’s in a bit of trouble, Lilykins. And I’m not quite sure what to do about it,” she added as she nuzzled her daughter’s soft cheek.

Lily tapped her mother’s shoulder with the plush toy she clutched in her tiny fist and giggled. “Mama!”

Autumn had to smile. Her kid was too cute. “Yes, baby?”

“Mmm!” Lily giggled and wrapped her arms around Autumn’s neck. “Mmm!”

Autumn pressed a kiss to Lily’s forehead before she carried her into the kitchen. “You’re absolutely right, Lily. It is certainly time for lunch. What’re we going to have today?”

But Lily was saved from answering when there was a knock on the front door. Autumn frowned, immediately cautious because of Leah’s warnings. What if the paparazzi had figured out where she lived? She’d have to move—fast. And she couldn’t just uproot Lily from where she was accustomed to living and move into a gated community just so she could protect her family. But, what choice did she have other than moving?

None. Absolutely none.

So, her paranoia getting the best of her, Autumn crept to the door and slowly lifted one corner of the curtain she’d hung over the window.

To say that she was surprised, and relieved, at who stood on her porch was an understatement. She was ecstatic.