- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh. My. God. No way. Another chapter! And it's not even Friday! That's right. I thought I'd spring a surprise chapter on everyone! Thanks for enjoying, and I think the chapter's content may be a surprise for everyone, too! Enjoy!
“What’s going on?”

Nick rubbed his still-throbbing temples and vaguely wondered why the pain medicine he’d taken an hour ago wasn’t working yet. Maybe he was becoming immune to its effects. Maybe he needed to stop drinking so much and taking the meds to ease his hangovers. Or maybe he was developing a brain tumor. Anything was possible, right? Hadn’t the past couple days proven that?

He’d been fine, doing well, and enjoying his life. They weren’t filming the show at the moment, but the first five episodes had aired already and were raking in good reviews. America loved its reality television, and the Carters were more than happy to feed the addiction.

The RMAs had been fun to attend, present, and go to the after-party. He’d loved having all the guys together again and wasn’t afraid to admit it. Nothing had been the same since Kevin had bowed out, and it would never be the same. Nevertheless, it had felt like old times, and he’d been happy to introduce the guys to Autumn.

Autumn. Good Lord, the woman was causing him headaches, and all she’d done was be herself. He had been the one to hunt her down and drag her story out. He had been the one to put his arms around her. He hadn’t paid attention to the fact that the paparazzi were bound to be on the prowl around the party scene because Autumn wasn’t used to thinking that way, yet.

He’d screwed up. And, now, Autumn was being smeared in the press as the latest in his string of whores.

Not to mention his brother was now engaged to a woman he’d once, however briefly, been linked to in the past. What a nightmare…

“Nick. Buddy, you okay?”

Nick looked up into concerned blue eyes and shook his head. “I’m such a screw up, Brian. Why the hell are you here?”

Brian rolled his eyes and settled onto the couch next to him. “It’s because I’ve been watching out for you for fifteen years, that the need to have your back is just ingrained in me. Besides, Leigh was getting on my nerves.”

“What?! No way! The golden couple is having issues?”

Brian hit him with a pillow. “Shut up. She’s been gloating over those tabloids, claiming she’d seen it coming. That Autumn’s the woman who’s going to clean you up and settle you down. I told her that Autumn’s too busy getting herself established to clean anybody up.”

“And she rolled right over you?”

“You bet your ass.” Brian grinned. “It’s cool. When I get back, we’ll probably make up and then have great make up-”

The rest of his words were muffled as Nick held a pillow over his face. “I don’t need to hear about you getting down and dirty with your wife, Brian. Hell, no.”

Brian pushed the pillow off and glared. “Why? Because you and Autumn aren’t really together?”

Nick huffed out a frustrated breath and stood to pace. “We’re not dating, we don’t have the dating vibes between us, we’re not attracted to each other. At least, I hope she’s not attracted to me,” he added as an afterthought.

“Why not? What’s wrong with you?”

“Do you really have to ask?” Nick wondered. “I mean, look at me. Why on earth would a woman on her way up the ladder of success even want to be linked to me, the guy who’s trying his best to stay in the public eye by airing his family’s dirty laundry on national television? Why on earth doesn’t the media understand that?”

Brian shrugged. “You know how they are. Who would know that better than us, man? They see something that could be skewed enough so it’s juicy, and they’re off and running. I don’t even want to try and understand what they think half the time. Autumn’s a rising star, and she’s all over the magazines lately. She’s young, she’s hot, and no one really knows too much about her life. She’s a freaking mystery, and she’s being seen with you—not once, but twice.”

“More than that,” Nick mumbled.

“What?”

Nick stuck the tabloid in Brian’s hand. “If you flip through, you’ll see all the times I’ve run into Autumn—except that time at the supermarket.”

Brian riffled through the pages to the article and narrowed his eyes as he skimmed through the article. After several moments of silence, he sighed and placed the paper back on the coffee table.

“Sucks, doesn’t it?” Nick muttered, when Brian didn’t say anything.

“I’m sorry that being linked with you makes a woman a whore, pal. You’re not like that,” Brian assured him, resting a hand comfortingly on Nick’s shoulder. “Besides, those pictures from that movie premiere weren’t really scandalous. Ooh, you two were talking! Big deal.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “Tell that to the tabs.”

“Let’s do something crazy,” Brian said after a few moments of silence.

Nick’s brows rose. “What exactly do you mean by ‘crazy’?”

“Let’s do something so wild that it takes the world’s mind off of you and Autumn, and Aaron and what’s her name? Your possibly future sister-in-law?”

“Kari,” Nick mumbled.

“Right. Her.” Brian waved the thought of the young woman off as he leapt off the couch. “Let’s party like it’s 1999, Nicky!” He did a boogie around the room before looking back expectantly at Nick. “Well? You coming or not?”

Nick found a smile teasing his lips and was unable to resist. “Do that shaking thing again, and I’ll go.”

“What? This?” Brian wriggled around like a worm in the air.

Watching him, Nick started to laugh. And found he couldn’t stop.

***

“Jack!” Autumn leapt into the man’s arms. “You’re home!” She threw her arms around his neck and gave him a smacking kiss. “I’m so glad!”

Jack McCann squeezed her back and grinned, the crinkles at the corners of his dark gray eyes creasing in humor. “Well, if that wasn’t a homecoming that every man dreams of, I don’t know what would be.” He brushed his lips over her cheek. “I’m glad to be home.”

Autumn let him into the house and watched as Lily squealed and toddled as fast as she could to him. Jack scooped her up with practiced ease and chuckled.

“My little Lily’s all grown up and knows how to walk now!” He ran kisses over the baby’s face, making her giggle. “Look how big she’s gotten!”

Autumn grinned. “Well, that’s what happens when you disappear for three months.”

“True.” But he continued to play with Lily, leaving Autumn to see what changes had been wrought upon him during his time under the baking hot African sun. His curly brown hair was sun-kissed, and he’d certainly tanned. But, aside from that, he was just the way he’d been when he’d left her a few months before.

Jack turned then and found Autumn studying him, a small smile playing over her lips. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“No reason.” But the smile remained. “I’m glad you’re home.”

“Yeah, me, too.” He reached over to slide his arm around her waist and scoop her against his side. “Now, I’ve got both my girls just where I want them. And, apparently, Lily’s not the only one going through some big changes,” he added with a smile.

“Who, me?” Autumn feigned innocence. “I haven’t done anything in the last couple months.”

“Of course, not,” Jack agreed easily. “Being the leading actress in the fall’s most touted film isn’t a big deal at all. Hooking up with Nick Carter, though, is certainly big news.”

Her jaw dropped. “Have you been reading the tabloids again?”

“It was kind of hard to miss it,” Jack replied. “I’m not blind, darling.”

“I know that.” Wanting to change the subject, though, she grinned up at him as Lily tugged on his shaggy curls. “I didn’t think we’d see you for another six months. What brings you home so soon, and did you bring me something?”

He laughed, setting Lily down so she could run off. “Always looking for the take, Autumn?”

“You know it.”

Jack slid his arms around her waist and pulled her close. “What did you want me to bring you?” he asked, as Autumn wound her arms around his neck and played with his curls. “The bones of a twenty-thousand year old woman?”

“That’s so romantic,” she murmured, her eyes sparkling with humor. “If I could, I would’ve fallen in love with you on the spot if you’d brought me one of those.”

He brushed his lips over hers, tightening his hold on her. “I’ll have to remember that for the next time,” he whispered against her mouth.

Autumn let her eyes drift shut as his lips trailed over her cheeks and rubbed over the pulse fluttering in her neck while his hands trailed under her shirt. She’d truly missed him, and, as she shifted closer to fit her body against his, it was hard to overlook the fact that he’d obviously missed her, too.

When his lips shifted back to cover hers, she poured three months’ worth of passion into the kiss before ending it and resting her head against his shoulder. “Tell me you’re going to stay for a while,” she murmured.

His sigh spoke volumes, and Autumn wondered how many times her heart would break into tiny pieces before there was nothing left. “Autumn,” he began, but she cut him off.

“No, no. Forget I asked.” She pressed a kiss to his jaw. “I’d rather enjoy the fact that you’re home for however long than worry about when you’ll leave again.” When the sound of Lily’s laughter was heard over the banging of pots in the kitchen, Autumn managed a small smile. “Lily’s hungry. I’m going to go fix us something. Why don’t you get cleaned up and join us?”

Even when she’d moved out of his reach, Jack could see the sadness in her eyes. “Autumn.” He waited until she stopped at the doorway and looked back. “I love you.”

She smiled sadly and walked out.