- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next installment! This one's dedicated to Veronica, who asked about the kissing. I hope this chapter starts to answer your question! Enjoy!
The news hit the media and spread like wildfire. Within hours, it seemed the entire world was in a frenzy over Hollywood’s latest darling marrying music’s former golden boy. Some media outlets claimed that it was a match made in heaven, while others continued to speculate over the reasons behind the marriage. Perhaps it was because she was pregnant with his child, they said. Or maybe it was because she was a free ride to the top for him. One source came frighteningly close to the truth by claiming that they were just engaged because they wanted to throw everyone off from Summer’s allegations.

Autumn had breathed a sigh of relief when that paper had printed a retraction and, instead, wished her and Nick all the luck in the world. It had been four days since he’d slid the ring onto her finger, and she still felt strange wearing it. She’d always believed the sight of her engagement ring would fill her with joy and excitement about the future. She couldn’t say that now, though.

She rubbed her thumb over the lily on her left hand and, sighing, turned to stare out the window again. Los Angeles flew by, and she watched the people on the street, the couples walking on the sidewalks. They all seemed so happy, so in love. As good an actress she believed herself to be, she was nervous that she wouldn’t be able to pull this off.

Marriage to Nick? Who was she kidding, really? The instant people saw them together, they’d know all was not what it seemed.

When she sighed again, Nick looked over at her. Her thoughts were so freaking loud that he swore he could hear every, single one. He knew she was nervous, but, then again, so was he. Neither of them wanted to be in the situation they were in, but there wasn’t much they could do about it now.

They were getting married. He hoped to God that everything would work itself out.

“I hate lying to the guys,” he said aloud and waited for her to turn to look at him. The green of her eyes flickered with uneasiness and anxiety.

“I hate lying. Period.”

“Autumn. We agreed-”

“I never agreed. I just gave up because I’d been railroaded into it.” She glanced around the confines of the limo before looking back at him. “I never thought I’d be sitting here like this, with you, knowing we’re about to face the toughest critics out there.”

“Joan and Melissa will love the ring. I’ve got good taste,” he tried to joke and cracked a half smile.

She just sighed again and shook her head. “This is ridiculous. I have to be in Peru next week to start filming. What are we going to do then? Are we just going to stay engaged for the next three months? And am I supposed to leave Lily with you?”

“Don’t worry about the munchkin. We get along great,” he reassured her, but she shook her head.

“Nick. What do you really know about taking care of an eighteen-month-old? Your siblings don’t count. I mean, really, have you ever changed a baby’s diaper before?”

He gulped when he thought of the smelly diapers that loomed in his future. “When do you start potty-training her?”

Autumn had to hold back the sound of frustration. “See? This is exactly what I was talking about! You have no idea how to be a father! How am I supposed to entrust my daughter into your care for an extended period of time? And, then, because of this stupid play we’re putting on for everyone, how can I not leave her with you? Because you know the questions will start when they notice that I haven’t left your stepchild with you.” She resisted the urge to yank her hair out. Not that it would have moved as there was a foot of hairspray stuck to it.

“Look.” He had to clench his teeth together to keep from screaming at her to stop being so irrational. “Will you just take it a day at a time? I mean, we just got engaged. There’s no need to go running around like a chicken with its head cut off.”

She was silent for a long time. “Was that supposed to be funny? Because it wasn’t.”

Nick didn’t reply as their limousine pulled into the line of vehicles depositing their famous passengers into the red carpet media frenzy. His stomach was knotted up, and he suddenly had as many doubts as Autumn had about how they’d fare through the next few hours.

“Ready?” he murmured as she realized what he was staring at and put her hand on the door handle. She would be exiting first, and, selfishly, he was pleased by that fact.

No. No, she wasn’t ready. There wasn’t any choice, though.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed the door open, and, immediately, the shouts, questions, microphones, and eager reporters’ faces filled the car. Autumn moved to step out into it all when she found her hand caught.

The scene was captured in an almost picture-perfect way by the dozens of cameras trained on them. She with her hand in Nick’s, turning back to smile at him as he grinned at her. The image would appear countless times during the recaps of the Golden Globes and its red carpet moments.

Then, as quickly as it had begun, the moment ended, and she tugged him out after her. Standing next to her at the entrance to the red carpet, he slid his arm around her waist and pulled her against his side, his cheek resting on her hair. Even as she slid her arm around him as well and pinched him, they both continued to glow for the cameras.

“I’ll get you back for that,” he muttered through the smile.

Autumn shifted her head to smile sweetly up at him in a way she hoped appeared loving. “Then don’t hold me like that.”

“Then maybe you’d like to tell them we were just lying. Baby.” Knowing it would annoy the crap out of her, he leaned down at kissed the tip of her nose. Even as she seethed from the action, Nick turned to the reporters. “Thanks for your well wishes,” he said into the microphones thrust at them. “We’d better keep moving along, though.”

It took them nearly half an hour to make it to where Joan and Melissa Rivers kept up their famous red carpet commentating. It had given Autumn enough time to relax into the roles that Nick had slid them into, and she knew, as much as it grated, that he’d been right to do so.

Still… “Had much practice at this?” she muttered.

“Contrary to popular belief, I’ve only ever dated another celebrity once. Well, twice, but Mandy wasn’t really famous then. Either way, it should have been enough to put me off them for life.”

“Apparently you couldn’t stay away.”

He didn’t reply and, instead, a brilliant smile lit up his face. She had to blink at its wattage and turned to see what had caused the look. Her heart plummeted as butterflies battered her insides.

“Well, if it isn’t the most talked about couple of the week!” Joan Rivers assessed them with a hawk’s eyes. “Autumn, darling, you look like you were born to wear this dress. You look stunning! Maybe it’s love that’s done it to you?”

Slipping back into her role, she beamed. “Absolutely! I’m glad I didn’t make any fashion faux pas with this dress. It’s an honor to have your approval.”

“Of course, you have our approval,” Melissa smiled at them. “Nick. How does it feel to know you’ve got a woman most men would die to have?”

Nick ran his hand down Autumn’s arm and grinned at her before answering Melissa’s question. “It feels better than anything ever has before. I’ve made a lot of mistakes in the past, but I know they’ve brought me straight to Autumn. She’s it for me. So, eat your hearts out, fellas.”

Joan gave a half laugh and turned back to Autumn. “That’s absolutely adorable. I’m sure all that silliness last week must have been stressful for you, but I must say, you don’t look any worse for the wear. Why don’t you take a twirl for our cameras, dear, and let everyone see what you’re wearing?”

“Thanks, Joan. I believe I will.” She spun in a slow circle, arms out to the side for the camera to take in her dress.

Charlene had done amazingly as usual and decided upon a calf-skimming, strapless burgundy gown with bronze-toned shoes and matching jewelry. Her hair had been tousled and fell naturally down her back. Her arms, though, were bare. And for good reason…

“So, now, let’s see this gorgeous ring that no one’s been able to spot yet,” Joan demanded, leaving Autumn no choice but to let her lips curve into a smile and hold out her hand for inspection.

Her other hand found Nick’s and squeezed it, trying to draw any sort of courage from him. “What do you think?” she asked.

“It’s unique. Absolutely unique!” Melissa stated as her mother nodded in agreement. “You certainly have lovely taste in the extraordinary, Nick.”

“Thank you.” He beamed as the camera focused on the band. “Every piece of that ring means something special, though. The lily stands for Autumn’s daughter, Lily. The emerald reminds me of Autumn’s gorgeous eyes. I don’t think any other material would’ve done her justice, either. She deserves the best,” he added, his eyes locked on Autumn’s.

Autumn lost her train of thought for a moment as she wondered what, exactly, Nick was trying to pull. His eyes were practically hypnotic, and she faintly wondered if he was trying to see into some part of her that she didn’t even know existed. And why on earth was she finding it difficult to find air? As she tried not to hyperventilate—she’d decided that it was all the excitement of the Globes getting to her—Nick handled the Riverses perfectly and steered them into the venue quickly.

“Sit.” He stowed her into a seat in a corner of the lobby, out of sight of the cameras and other celebrities. Kneeling before her, he studied her face nervously. “Are you okay? You’re not gonna pass out on me, are you? ‘Cause I’d hate to haul your ass around and explain why you suddenly got sick.”

The comment snapped color back into her face, and she pushed to her feet. “I am not sick. We should be inside, in our seats right now. I don’t know why we’re out here. I am perfectly fine.”

“Right,” he muttered under his breath as she practically tugged him towards the ceremony room. “Wait a minute.” He pulled on her hand to stop her. “You can’t go tearing in there like you’re going to kill someone. Chill.”

She glared at him for a moment. Then, as though she were undergoing instant transformation, her expression changed instantly. Instead of surly, her eyes glowed, her lips curved pleasantly, and there was a hint of excitement in her expression. Her arm linked with his as she leaned up to brush her lips over his cheek.

“I meant what I said before. Your ass is grass, Carter,” she whispered before subtly pulling him into the ceremony room.

***


“No.” It wasn’t possible. It couldn’t be happening. Not like this. Not after everything that had happened in the past week or so. It should’ve been impossible.

But it wasn’t.

Nick’s arms were around her even as the cameras caught her stunned features. “Autumn, come on. You won! You gotta get up there, kid.”

His voice broke her daze, and she turned in his arms to look at him. It was true, she realized. Remembering herself, she prevented the squeal but not the look of glee from appearing on her face. “I won! Oh, my God!” Staying in her role, she threw her arms around Nick, brushed her lips over his for a second, and grinned. “I won!”

“Yeah. Now, go.” He pushed her out into the aisle and watched her make her way to the stage. Later, he’d think about that kiss. The barely-there one. The one that had practically been non-existent. Then why…No. He stopped himself as she began to speak.

“Honestly, I can’t believe I won,” she began. “After everything that’s been happening lately, I cannot tell you how grateful I am that there are people who still believe in me. Gosh,” she paused when her voice broke. “I don’t even have a proper acceptance speech because I hadn’t expected at all to win. So, I’m going to wing it.” She took a deep breath. “Thanks to my manager, my agent, my best friend, Liz. Look where we’ve made it to today! The team that’s gotten me this far, including Sherrie and Leah. My stylist, Charlene, for making sure I looked good enough to deserve to stand up here. If it had been up to me, I’d probably have worn jeans.” She chuckled along with the audience members. “Everyone who had faith in my abilities, Gabe Peterson and the cast and crew of the film. You gave me the chance, and it’s due to you that I’ve made it here.” She grinned and looked down at the statue she held. “Lily, my baby, mommy’s bringing home a new toy for you. Okay, just kidding,” she added with a smile. “And, finally, the man who’s stuck by my side through thick and thin, through my mood swings, and put up with all my craziness. Nick Carter, you might not believe it, but you’re part of the reason I’ve made it here. I love you.”