- Text Size +
“I can’t believe she said that!”

Nick just nodded and continued to flick through the On-Demand offers on his TV.

“Nick, how can you be okay with that?”

He lifted a brow. “Uh, because she’s just playing the game the way we wanted her to?”

Liz sighed and snuggled up against him on the couch. “I know. It’s just…God, I didn’t think she’d be bold enough to go up there and say she loved you.”

“Why not? We’re supposed to be in love, so wouldn’t it be weird if she didn’t say she loved me?”

“Have you said you loved her in any interview?”

“Not yet. But I’ll have to eventually. I can’t expect to get away with it for too much longer.”

She resisted the urge to scream in frustration. So what that she’d agreed to the idea of her best friend marrying her boyfriend? So what that she’d forced her best friend into following through on it? It didn’t mean she was okay with the idea.

“I hate this.”

The quiet admission made him set aside the remote and scoop her into his arms, his cheek against hers. “Elizabeth Barnes, you know I want to be with you. No matter what, I want to be with only you. It doesn’t matter that I’m marrying Autumn. I’ll still want you. I promise you right here, right now, that this whole marriage situation is not going to make me want to stop wanting to be with you.”

Liz’s eyes widened as she turned to look up into his eyes. “Really?”

“Honest to God.”

“Nick. That’s so…I think that’s one of the most romantic things you’ve ever said to me.” She managed a watery smile before leaning up to press her lips to his. “I’m glad we’re together. I’m grateful for that every day.”

“Me, too,” he whispered. “I feel like I’ve known you forever. And it’s only really been two months.”

“May as well be a lifetime.”

He nodded and tightened his arms around her. “What I feel for you makes my stomach do somersaults. I don’t think I’ve ever felt that before. Not even after eating too much and going on a rollercoaster.”

Her lips twitched. “Just as long as you don’t throw up on me,” she replied dryly.

“Oh, come on. You know it was funny.”

She blinked. “Nick, I’m so rolling on the floor laughing when you compare how you feel about me to nausea on an amusement park ride.”

“It’s funny, babe. Gimme a laugh. Just one.”

Because he was cute, because he could make her smile when she was upset, because he sang to her over the phone every night they weren’t together, because he was Nick, she did. And she knew he’d follow through on what he’d promised.

But it was going to be so hard, she thought even as she laughed with him. It was going to be damned near impossible to keep from being hurt. It wasn’t possible that she could escape some bruises when it was all over. Because the truth was…

She was falling in love with him.

***


Autumn wanted to smack herself silly for ever agreeing to the thousands of interviews. Okay, so it felt like a thousand interviews, but she’d really only had eleven interviews with various magazines and newspapers. Some of them had been over the phone, but, for the most part, they’d been in-person interviews, and she was tired of constantly smiling and looking happy all the time. Really, a person could only smile so much before her cheeks froze in that position.

The sun was shining brightly when she stepped out of the coffee shop where she’d just wrapped up another of the damned interviews. Rummaging through her bag, she yanked out a pair of sunglasses and propped them on her nose before checking her watch. She still needed to rush home, pack an overnight bag, drop Lily off at Leah’s, and catch her plane to Chicago. She was taping her interview with Oprah the next day, and she was terrified.

Oprah had always been one of her biggest idols, and the thought of meeting the formidable woman was terrifying. Knowing her luck, Autumn suspected that she’d probably babble and act like a complete dolt in front of the woman. That would confirm everyone’s belief that she was brainless.

Okay, so no one really thought she was brainless, but she just didn’t want to screw up. She’d never actually expected to be on the show. Ever. No matter how many lights surrounded her name. And, yet, here she was. Less than twenty four hours away from doing the interview.

Caught up in her thoughts, she barely registered the fact that someone had just stepped out of a shop before she bumped into them.

“Oh, gosh! I’m so sorry,” she apologized, reaching down to pick up the man’s bag for him. “I guess I wasn’t really watching where-” At a closer look at her victim’s face, she blinked. He looked so familiar…

“Autumn.” His voice had a hint of the South, and she tried to figure out where she’d seen him-

“Kevin! Kevin Richardson!” It came to her, and she smiled. “Fancy meeting you here. It’s been quite a while.”

He smiled back, emerald eyes twinkling. “It has. I believe it’s been about three and a half months. Last time I saw you, you were riding high off the success of your film. And now…”

She winced at the unspoken statement. “And now I’m rather infamous. Although, I’m trying to correct that.”

“Of course.” He gestured down the sidewalk. “Walk with me?”

What harm could it do? “Sure. So, how’ve you been?”

“Not bad. I’ve been in and out of LA lately. Performed in Chicago again up in Toronto, and I’ll be heading out to Japan to do the same in a few weeks. Spending time with my wife when she’s not working is always a bonus, too.” He lifted a shoulder. “It’s not bad, all in all.”

“Great! It’s always good to hear from people who are satisfied in what they’re doing.”

Seeing his opportunity, Kevin pounced. “What about you? You’re being vindicated slowly but surely. And you’re marrying Nick. My, a lot has happened in the past few months, hasn’t it? Are you satisfied?”

“Honestly?” Autumn sighed. “It’s been a wild ride so far, and it’s not even halfway done yet.”

“Marrying Nick is just going to make it wilder. Are you going to be the one to tame him? Settle him down?”

There was a glint in his eyes that she didn’t quite want to decipher. “I don’t think anyone can settle Nick down. He’s his own person, and I’m not trying to change him.”

“I don’t know that I’d ever imagined him with a woman like you. Don’t get me wrong,” he continued, seeing the protest on her face, “I think you’re a terrific person. You’ve gotten the raw end of the deal lately, and it’s nice to see Nick trying to help you out of a jam. I just think you two are rushing into marriage too fast.”

Knowing she couldn’t tell him the true reason for their marriage, Autumn set her shoulders. “I think that you couldn’t possibly know what Nick and I feel for each other. I’m glad to have him in my life, and I know for a fact that my daughter adores him. We’re doing what feels right for us, and it’s no one else’s business what we do or don’t do.”

“Autumn.” Kevin stopped walking and laid a hand lightly on her shoulder. “I’m not trying to offend you. I know Nick. I’ve known him since he was twelve. I’ve watched him grow up and make mistakes left and right. I just don’t want this to be one them because I’d rather not see you and your child hurt.”

“I appreciate the thought, Kevin, but I think we’ll be okay.” She managed a smile. “I know we’re a mess right now, but what we feel for each other is crystal clear.”

“What do you feel for him?”

She sighed. “A lot of things, but he’s a remarkable man with so much more going for him than he thinks. I love him, but I know that he can make more of himself than a second-rate reality show star. He’s a terrific listener, and always has a shoulder handy when I need one. Plus, my kid loves him, and he loves her. Usually, Lily turns out to be pretty accurate about a person’s character. I think the three of us will make each other happy, and that’s all that really matters.”

Kevin was quiet for a few moments as he studied her. Finally, as her nerves hit the screaming point, he smiled. “Maybe I was wrong. I think you’ll keep him in line. Maybe even give him that extra push he needs to be really great. I’d like to meet Lily one day. We could have you and Nick over for dinner one day.”

“Yeah?” She was definitely surprised at the invitation.

“Absolutely.”

“Thanks, Kevin.” She squeezed his hand. “I know you practically raised him. Or so I hear. I’ll take care of him. I promise.” She glanced at her watch and winced. “I hate to leave you, but I really have to run. I need to catch a plane in a few hours and have a thousand things to do before then. I’ll see you again. Soon.” And she was gone.

He watched her rush down the sidewalk and cross the street. “Oh, Autumn.” He shook his head. “You might take care of Nick, but who’s going to take care of you when he breaks your heart?”