- Text Size +
Sensing the tension that had suddenly exploded around them as conversations hushed and ears sharpened, Autumn laid a hand on Nick’s arm and noticed how stiff he’d become. Trying to detract from the charged atmosphere, she smiled at both of them. “So, I take it you know each other?”

Paris rolled her eyes. “Knowing each other would imply that I acknowledge his existence. Which I don’t.”

“Excuse me?” Nick found his temper straining. “I don’t need you, or anyone, to acknowledge my existence. Besides, I haven’t been on your radar for the last two years. Don’t let me show up now, Paris.”

She sighed lightly and waved a hand in his face. “Please, Nick. Just because you’re angry that I broke things off, doesn’t mean that you get to call me on something years after the fact. Why don’t you just go find yourself a hole to crawl back into?”

“Whoa, hey.” Autumn found the need to step in before things got ugly. The last thing she needed, she knew, was a messy celebrity battle while all the cameras were trained on them. “Listen, Paris, I’m glad you came to the premiere tonight. I hope you enjoyed the movie.”

Forgetting Nick again, the heiress smiled aloofly at Autumn. “You’re a great actress, which is what I came over to talk to you about. I wanted to invite you to a party I’m having this Saturday at Shag. Only the most important, and hot, people will be there. I hope you come.”

“Wow.” Unsure whether she should feel honored or moronic, Autumn could feel the anger emanating from Nick. Not wanting to hurt him by siding with Paris after he’d been pleasant towards her, Autumn made up her mind. “Thanks for the invite, Paris, but I can’t.”

“What?” At Paris’ shocked look, Autumn was sure she’d never been turned down before. “Are you actually saying no to an invite to one of the hottest parties in Hollywood? Because you’d be making a huge mistake. No one turns me down.”

Whoa, kitty, Autumn thought before finding her gracious smile. “Oh, no, Paris, it’s not that I don’t want to be there. I’ve just got somewhere more important to be.” And stifled a laugh at the outraged expression on Paris’ face. “I’m sort of busy promoting my movie, you know how that is. I’ve got to be in London this weekend, so I can’t. Next time, though, I promise I’ll be there.”

Appeased for the moment, Paris smiled again. “You’d better. Anyway, your movie was hot, and I’m sure I’ll see you around.” And, without sparing Nick a glance, she moved off.

When he was sure he could speak again without screaming, Nick turned to Autumn. “Did you just kill her temper? Because she was about to lay into you when you said no to her.”

Autumn lifted a shaking hand to her hair. “I nearly got into an argument with Paris Hilton. My first taste of celebrity drama. I think I need to sit.”

Nick nudged her into the nearest chair then knelt next to it. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone defuse that witch’s anger quite the way you just did. Can I kiss you?”

“Huh?” She stared at him as though he’d grown two heads.

He grinned. “Relax, babe. I was just kidding.” Though if he thought about it, he realized the idea of kissing those perfectly luscious lips of hers did have its appeal. But he shook it off. He didn’t have the time nor the inclination to get romantically involved with anyone at the moment. “Anyway, thanks for sticking up for me. I would’ve been fine. Probably.”

“Right. And I wasn’t sticking up for you, I was watching my own back,” she replied, putting on a fake smile for the other partygoers’ satisfaction. “I didn’t want my first movie premiere’s after-party to turn into a battle of the exes. It would’ve been unnecessary and would’ve killed everything me and the rest of the cast and crew worked on for months.”

Nick nodded. “You’re right. Tonight’s your night, and you definitely shine, Autumn.” He straightened. “Good luck on the press circuit.”

As she watched him go, Autumn unclenched the hand that had fisted during the altercation with Paris. Crushed in it was the silk hibiscus that Nick had given her. He’d been right, she thought. This one would last her longer than a real one would have. It had been a sweet gesture on his behalf, too, seeing as he hadn’t been under any obligation to apologize to her. “I guess we’re even,” she muttered as she moved back into the crowd of curious entertainers and camera crews. “I watch his back, he has mine.” She smiled to herself. “It’ll be a story to tell Lily when she gets older. Imagine that. Me, sticking up to Paris Hilton. What a night!”

***

“You’re joking!” Brian nearly choked on the coffee he’d been about to swallow. “God, what I would give to have been able to see the look on her face!”

Nick grinned. “I must say, it was priceless.”

“So the movie was good?” Leighanne asked, setting a plate full of pancakes on the table.

“It was really good. Been awhile since I’ve watched something that has real substance, you know?” Nick watched Brian slide a pancake onto his plate before passing the rest across the table. “Thanks. Anyway, I enjoyed it. And Autumn Evans is one he—I mean, she’s a great actress,” he caught himself at Leighanne’s arched look.

“I’m glad you had fun,” Brian told him. “Despite Paris’ presence, at least you got to spend time with Autumn, right?”

Leighanne frowned. “What, are you trying to play Cupid, Bri?”

“Actually, he’s filling in for AJ’s role,” Nick explained, pouring the syrup over his pancakes. “AJ’s the one who wants me to try to date Autumn Evans. Personally, I don’t have time.”

Surprised at his answer as it was opposed to the usual direction Nick would have gone in, she smiled. Sometimes, he really did amaze her. “That’s very…mature of you, Nick.”

“Nah.” He waved it off. “I really don’t have the time because of the whole reality show and all. Besides, I think I’m starting to become friends with her, and I like that more.”

Pleased with his answer, Leighanne sat back and watched the two men at her table devour what she’d made for breakfast. Nick wasn’t usually a visitor in their home, but, lately, Brian had gotten it into his head to rekindle his old proximity to the younger man, and she found she didn’t mind. Once upon a time, she would have because of Nick’s wilder side. These days, though, he seemed to have changed. “What is she like?”

“Who? Oh.” Nick leaned back in his chair and toyed with the handle of his coffee mug. He’d been surprised when Leighanne had called and invited him over for breakfast, since she’d never seemed to be too fond of him. For the first time in nearly ten years, he was actually enjoying himself around her, and he felt like he could really become a part of Brian’s life again, too. “Autumn’s unique, I guess the word would be. I mean, she’s green enough in the business to be overwhelmed by everything that’s happening with her success. She barely knows who’s who and what’s happening with other hotshots in this town,” he murmured. “But she’s not jaded. Yet.”

Leighanne exchanged a quiet look with Brian before turning to smile at Nick. “She sounds wonderful. I’d like to meet her sometime.”

“Next time I see her, I’ll let her know. I’ll bet she’ll be really thrilled,” he added. “She hasn’t learned to hide exactly how happy she is.”

“But she will,” Brian said.

Nick nodded. “Sad, but true.”

“Nick!” A nearly four year old Baylee Littrell zipped into the kitchen and leapt into Nick’s lap.

Nick grinned, setting down his fork to tousle the little boy’s wild curls. “Hey, Bayster. What’s up?”

Baylee held up a book with an electronic device built in. “Wanna see?”

“Bay, why don’t we let Nick finish his breakfast first?” Brian suggested, smiling at the sight of his little boy with one of his oldest friends.

Nick shook his head. “It’s cool. I kind of want to see what Baylee’s got. Show me, Bay.”

“It’s the alphabet!” the little boy announced proudly. “And I know the whole thing! Look!” He pressed a button on the book, and an automated voice began to chant the ABC’s. Baylee chimed in on the letter “C” and kept going until he’d finished.

Nick applauded his efforts as Brian and Leighanne watched their son proudly. Before they could ask him to do something else, Baylee wiggled off Nick and dashed towards the playroom, claiming he had something very “imp’tant” to do.

“Isn’t he the smartest kid ever?” Brian wondered, a huge grin plastered across his face.

Nick felt the slightest twinge of envy before he smiled. “Absolutely. He’s great, Brian. You’re lucky to have him.”

“You know, Nick, if you’d just find the right woman,” Brian began but was cut off.

“I’m not looking for a woman, right now, B. I just want to get my life in order and get another solo record done.” Nick shook his head. “Getting involved with someone right now is just not practical.”

Leighanne patted her husband’s arm and lifted a brow. “What he means to say is quit bothering him, hon. When Nick’s ready to settle down, the right person will come along.”

“Yeah.” He smiled gratefully at her. “Listen to your wife, man.”

Brian glanced from the woman he loved to the man he’d once considered his best friend. “Well, I guess I’ve been told.” And reached out to grab the last pancake.