- Text Size +
Lina woke early the next morning. She was hungry, and looking at her watch, that still kept Swedish time, she could tell that it was way past breakfast time. She lay in bed for a few more minutes, looking out the window, into the dark skies, then decided to sneak into the kitchen to get something to eat. She made her way through the dark hallways, tip-toed into the kitchen and decided it was best to keep the lights off. She took a few more steps, then her toe hit cold, hard wood. The pain made her bend over, cursing under her breath, when she all of a sudden banged her head against something that felt like a human head.

"Aouch! What the fuck?" came a voice from nowhere. She screamed at the top of her lungs. A hand flew out, landing over her mouth and muffled her scream.

"Lina? Why are you sneaking around here like a thief?"

Her panic subsided when a light was turned on and she saw Alex's familiar face. He relieved the pressure around her mouth and let her go. He was somewhat sure she wasn't going to try and kill him again.

"Me? Well let me ask you something. Why in the name of God are you sitting here, alone in the dark? Oh my God. My toe hurts. It's broken. You broke my toe!"

"I couldn't sleep. And I'm sure it isn't broken. My nose, on the other hand... Let's just say that I'm not so sure about that."

"I did NOT break your nose. YOU broke my toe!"

"Let me see that toe then. But I didn't break it. The chair did." He smiled at her when she sat down and reluctantly put her foot in his lap. He gently touched her toe, giggling a little when she started muttering something in Swedish.

"I can't believe I'm sitting here with my broken toe in AJ McLean's fucking lap."

"What did you say? I only understood my name and your mean tone of voice."

"None of your business." She laughed. "Ouch, that hurts."

"I don't think your toe is broken, but you'll have a stunning blue nail for a couple of weeks. We'll put some ice on it."

"So you couldn't sleep huh? Wonder why?" she smirked.

"Well that's none of your business."

"Let's say that it is, seeing that she's my friend."

To her surprise, Alex turned red, and quickly got up to get some ice and a plastic bag.

"So... You're from Sweden huh?"

"Oooh, bad choice of topic there? Yeah, I'm from Sweden, whatever that has to do with this conversation."

"Oh, are we having a conversation? I thought you were just being..."


"What on earth is happening in here?"

They both looked up and saw Brian standing in the doorway.

"He broke my toe..." Lina pointed at Alex.

"I didn't break your toe, you broke my nose, sneaking around in the dark."

"You're one to talk, hiding here in the dark."

"I've alwas considered Alex as the weird one. Seems we've got two in the house now. This is juuuuust great. And they call this vacation. I'm going back to bed now." Brian began to walk away.

"I'm not weird!!!"

"I'm not weird!!!"

"Yeah, both of you are. See you in a couple of hours. If I can get any more sleep, that is." He laughed to himself as he walked away to tell his nervous wife that they had the female version of Alex living in the house.


Alex and Lina looked at each other, then broke down into hysterical laughter.

"You think you can sleep now?"

"Nah, but I'll try."


Lina walked back to her room, said goodnight to Alex and sat down on the edge of the bed wondering if she would be able to sleep some more. But no. She decided to wake up Jo and whine some more about her broken toe. She went back out into the hallway, turning on the lights this time. Her toe felt as if it was twice it's normal size already. She lit up Jo's room as well, to make sure that her toe was safe, then asked "Alex? You in here?"

Murmuring, Jo woke up, looked around the brightly lit room with confusion written all over her face. "Lina? What the fcuk are you doing here? It's... 3.30 in the morning. And why would Alex be in here?"

"Because he's got a crush on you of course. And he broke my toe. I figured he might want to tell you that before I did..."

"Which part of that?"

"Oh, not the crush-thing. He's embarrased! No, the part where my toe looks like a balloon."

"Lina, you're crazy. What happened?"

"I just went into the kitchen to grab something to eat. Next thing I know, my toe and his nose are both broken."

Jo laughed. "I don't even want to know what happened!"

"Oh, yes you do! But I think we should get some more sleep. Big day tomorrow! Can I sleep in your bed?"

Jo sighed and moved to make room for her friend. "Come here then."