- Text Size +
Jo sat out in the back yard, enjoying a couple of minutes of peace, with Baylee playing in the sand-box, and the house completely empty. She'd sent Lina away for her first day of work at Carpenter, Brian and Leigh had brought Alex to do something, she didn't know what, just that they'd be gone most of the day. The phone that laid next to her on the blanket she'd spread out on the grass rang, and she answered.

"Hello?"

"Who's this?"

"I'm Jo, Baylee's new nanny."

"Oh, the swedish girl? This is Kevin, Brians cousin."

"Oh, right. Yes, I'm the swedish girl."

He laughed. "Got my dear cuz anywhere close?"

"Nope, sorry, he's out with Leigh and Alex."

"Yeah, ok. Listen, we, the boys heard about Alex and Shelley, and that he's staying with Bri. Is he ok?"

"Well, I don't know him enough to tell, but I think so. He hasn't been drinking, if that's what you wanted to know?"

"It was, and thanks for saying that. Listen, I'm calling from a plane, Kristin and I are on our way to Altanta to visit. Nick and Howie are flying in too. We'll be there in a couple of hours."

"That's nice. Guess I'll see you then."

"Yup. Bye bye!"


'Oh my god,' she thought. 'All of the Backstreet Boys, at once. Lina's gonna kill me!' She looked at her watch. Two hours wasn't that much time. 'Better call Leigh and ask what she wants me to do.'


After talking to Leigh, she picked up some toys that Baylee had left around the house. Then she took him with her to the grocery store, and picked up what they would need for the barbecue they were going to have. When she returned home, she saw Brian's car in the driveway. They were home already. When she came through the door with Baylee in his stroller and a heap of bags from the store, she almost stumbled over the vacuum cleaner. Brian was vacuuming the hallway, but stopped when he saw her massive load of stuff.

"Can I help you? I'll take these." He grabbed almost all of the bags, gave Baylee a kiss on the nose, then walked into the kitchen. Jo followed him. Leighanne came in through the other door.

"Good, you're home!" She picked Baylee up out of the stroller and asked him: "You want to help mummy set up the rooms for uncle Kevin and auntie Kristin?"

"Yey!"

"Come on then, trooper. Uncle Nicky and uncle Howie are coming too."

They heard the child giggle as his mummy brought him to the guest rooms.

"I have to keep vacuming, but I'll get Alex to help you prepare dinner. What time's Lina coming home?"

"'Round five, I guess, but..."

He interrupted her with a yell. "Alex! Get your butt into the kitchen!"

"Why are you yelling? I'm right here." He stepped into the kitchen.

"Sorry man. Will you help Jo to prepare some burgers and whatnot?"

"Sure."


Brian walked out, and they heard the vacuum being turned on. They looked at eachother, not quite sure of how to deal with themselves. Then they started to put the groceries into the cupboards and fridge. After awhile the silence was too much to handle for Alex.

"So, you hear that a girl busted my nose last night?"

"Yeah, and I heard something about a toe, too." she smiled at him. "But your nose looks fine. Linas toe doesn't."

"Aww thanks, I like your nose too." The ice was broken, and they helped eachother make burgers, salad and baked potatoes. When Alex dared to look at Jo's face, he couldn't help but giggle.

"What? I thought you liked my nose?"

"I do, but you have about half a burger on it." He leaned in and rose his hand to take it away. Noone of them heard the door bell, or realized that Brian had stopped his cleaning. They just stood there, eyes locked at each other, only an inch or so apart.

"Aww, isn't this romantic. How you doin' Bone? And who are you, gorgeous lady with minced meat on your nose?"

"Nick! It's so good to see you." They hugged. "This one right here is Jo, Bay's nanny!"

"Nice to meet you, Jo."

"Nice to meet you too, Nick!" She had quickly wiped away the meat from her nose, and he looked at her.

"Yup, just as I guessed. You look much better without that stuff on your nose." He laughed. "Gotta go unpack. Keep going from where you left off, if you're a smart man, Bone." He left, leaving both Alex and Jo silent.