- Text Size +
Jo went back into the kitchen, just to check that everything was ready for the barbeque. She’d just turned down the heat in the oven so that the potatoes wouldn’t burn, and looked out the window. Brian, Leighanne, Alex and Nick were out on the patio playing with Baylee, all in casual shorts and t-shirts. 'I’d better go change. Maybe I’ll even have time for a quick shower?' Jo thought. But already in the doorway out of the kitchen she was interrupted by the doorbell. She ran over to the door, put a few loose strands of hair behind her ears and opened the door. She met a couple of deep, coffee brown eyes, and for a while she could see nothing but them. They were so warm, so familiar. The man that the eyes belonged to laughed and stretched his hand out.

“Hi, I’m Howie. I found a couple of lost souls at the airport so I brought them.”

Jo took his hand, just realizing that there were two more people there, standing behind Howie. “Hi, I’m Jo, Baylee’s nanny. You guys must be Kevin and Kristin?” Jo asked, letting go of Howie’s hand and reaching it out to them.

“That’s right.” Kevin said, grabbing her hand in a firm grip. “We talked earlier, remember? Nice to meet you.”

“Yeah. You, too. And you. Can I help you with your luggage?” She said taking Kristin’s hand.

“Oh, that’d be nice.”


Leigh had heard the doorbell and came into the hallway, all the boys close behind her. The greetings were loud, everyone hugging and talking all at once. Jo decided to sneak off to take that shower. When she returned down half an hour later, everyone was in the back yard. The smell of the burgers cooking was in the air, and someone had taken the potatoes out of the oven. She stepped out on the patio. Howie was standing by the grill flipping burgers with a beer in his hand. Lina and Kristin were helping Leigh to set the table. The other boys were all relaxing in the comfortable chairs with beers and sodas. Nick had a guitar in his hands and was playing a soft tune while staring at Lina, trying to be discreet.


“What is this? The sexist convention?” Everyone laughed, and Kevin and Brian got to their feet to get the last things out of the kitchen.

Nick started humming some lyrics to his music. “Convention of sexist pigs, ooooh, yeah. In the end, we’re all pigs, ooooh, yeah...”

“Oh, please just shut up…” Alex snapped. “Frickin’ dumbass...”

“Why aren’t we sensitive today? Trying to impress someone there, Bone?”

“Just shut up, would you?”

Jo laughed and Alex looked at her, looking a bit embarrassed. Then he quickly got out of his seat to get another coke.


Dinner came on the table and everyone sat down to eat. They really had a great time, the joking duo of Frick and Frack made that sure. Jo sat there trying to pretend she wasn’t seeing the looks Alex gave her across the table. Why was he looking at her like that? For the millionth time in a row she reminded herself that she loved Andy, and that Alex was a womanizer and not to be trusted, no matter how cute he looked in that deep-red beanie. The sun was setting so he’d taken off his sunglasses. His eyes were just so... 'Stop it! she told herself, and turned to Howie that sat in between her and Lina, to listen to what he said. She laughed at the joke he made.


“Hey, D. Wanna hit some club later?” Nick yelled from the far end of the table.

“Sure. Any of you want to come as well? Jo? Lina? Kev? Alex? Bri?”

“Sorry, but I can’t. Gotta put Bay to bed. And to be honest, I really don’t feel like clubbing.”

“Well, I’d love to go.” Lina said.

“So would we.” Kristin agreed.

“Nah, I think we’ll pass, since we’ve got this lovely lady to take care of Bay, we kinda thought we’d spend some time just the two of us.” Brian explained.

“I don’t think a club is what I need right now. I’ll stay here.”

“Oooooh” both Brian and Nick said in one voice.

“Alright let the boy be.” Kevin interrupted. “If he doesn’t wanna go clubbing, he doesn’t wanna go clubbing.”

Nick raised his hand in the air “Yeah, but since when doesn’t Alex wanna...”

Kevin didn’t even have to say anything. A look alone quieted Nick, who got out of his chair and started to collect the empty plates.


Jo went upstairs with the very tired Baylee, who’d stubbornly kept himself awake during dinner, several hours past his normal bedtime. He fell asleep on her shoulder while she walked up the stairs, so she changed his clothes for pj’s and put him down in his bed. He didn’t even stir. When she came back down, everyone had left for the club, after cleaning up. Brian and Leigh were nowhere to be seen. Jo walked out into the back yard to see if anything needed to be done. There sat Alex in the hammock, guitar on his lap, singing to himself. Her heart skipped a beat. He looked so gorgeous sitting there in the soft light of candles that were still lit on the table. He suddenly noticed her standing there and smiled at her. He patted the seat next to him.

“Come sit with me. No excuses. Just come here.”

“On one condition.”

“What?”

“Don’t stop singing.”

He laughed. “I won’t. So, anything special you wanna hear?”

“Something new?”

“I know! It’s new, but didn’t make it all the way onto the album. I really like it though.”

Jo sat down next to him, curling up her legs on the seat, and he started to sing.


“Opposites attract, chemicals react. Like when I look at you. Deserts neither rain, fires feed the flame. You can't deny what's true. I can't help the way I feel. Cause you got me, yeah. All these elements are real. They come from deep within me.”


Jo sat there, hypnotized by his beautiful voice. She knew she was staring at him, but she couldn’t help it. He stopped playing, and asked her: “You like it?”

“It’s beautiful. What’s it called?”

“Forces Of Nature.”

“I love it! Play more!”

Alex did as she’d asked him, played the whole song. When the final notes died out, he put away the guitar and laid his arm around her. Oblivious to her own doubts, she snuggled up next to him, inhaling his scent. He stroke her arm gently. “You cold?”

“No, I’m fine.”

They sat there silent for a while, then Alex whispered “Joanna?”

She turned her head and his lips crashed onto hers. Without her even realizing what happened, her body took control and she pulled her fingers through his short hair, kissing him deep and sincere. She lost track of time, had no idea how long they’d been sitting there kissing, when it dawned on her what was happening. She pulled away, out of his embrace.

“Anything wrong Jo?” Alex asked, confused.

“I’m sorry.” She got up out of the hammock. “I can’t do this.” She ran into the house, leaving him behind to figure out what had happened.