- Text Size +
Jo was sitting in the waiting hall at the airport, her mum and dad were there, and so was Lina.


"Take care now, darling, and promise you'll call us as soon as you get there! Do you have your passport?"

"Yeah, mom, I've got it. It's ok. I promise." Jo threw her backpack up on her shoulder, smoothed out her messy red-brown hair and smiled.

"You better call me to, or I'm going to kill you. And..."

"Don't worry, Lina. I'll call you. I'll take pictures. I'll write you every day. But no, I'm not going to break up Brian and his wife so that you can have him, I'm sorry, but it wouldn't be professional." She laughed at her friend's surprised face and gave her a hug. "Yeah, I knew you were going to ask me..." she giggled. To her surprise her friend was teary-eyed when she let go.

"I'm going to miss you, Jo."

"Oh, Lina, I'm going to miss you too... But you can come visit, I promise!"

"Promise?"

"Yes. I prom... Andy. Who told him I was here?"

"That would be me." Lina waved her arm in the air, with a slightly guilty look on her face.


Jo met Andy's green eyes. He'd been crying. She could see it. He stood in the middle of the waiting hall, just looking at her. He was so gorgeous. For a moment she wondered if she'd done the right thing. But the doubts disappeared when he took a few steps towards her. One of them had to be strong, and obviously it wasn't going to be him. She walked to meet him and put her arms around him in a big hug.


"Passengers on flight SDE7274 to Atlanta Airport to gate 23 please!"


"So you're really going to do this?"

She broke loose from his embrace and he shook his head.

"Don't answer that right now. I have something I want to ask you." He fell down on one knee in front of her, taking her hands in his. "I've loved you for seven years. We were just kids when we met, just kids when we fell in love. Do you remember?"


"Passengers on flight SDE7274 to Atlanta Airport to gate 23 please!"


Jo looked him in the eyes, almost begging him to stop. Her knees were weak and her head was spinning. This had been one of their most frequent fights. She'd wanted to commit, start a family, she had felt old even though she was just 24, as if it was way past her due-date. He was just a year older and thought they had all the time in the world. She couldn't bear to answer his question, just nodded.

"We swore that we would always be together. You swore that you would always love me. Now I ask you to stand by that vow. I love you. Will you please marry me? I'll change. I'll be a better man. I'll try to be everything you need." He pulled out a black jewellery box, opened it so she could see the beautiful diamond ring. Just the one she'd dreamed about every time they'd walked past the jeweller store.


"Passengers on flight SDE7274 to Atlanta Airport to gate 23 please! This is the last call for flight SDE7274 to Atlanta Airport. Gate 23, please"


Tears welling up in her eyes she looked from him to the gate, and then back down to him again. She tore herself loose. "I'm sorry. I can't." She ran back to her parents, her mother was crying, she'd always considered Andy her own son.

"Go with what your heart tells you, my girl." Jo nodded, kissed both of them and Lina goodbye and ran for the gate, without looking back