- Text Size +
Getting used to life in New York, in a fancy hotel with a view over Central Park, was no biggie. Jo had an entire suite to her own, since Baylee was living with Brian and Leighanne, and she was loving it. This also meant she had a lot of extra time at her hands. The main purpose of her employment was to take care of Bay when Leigh wasn't around, and she had all the time in the world now that she had finished shooting her movie. Jo was there just in case something came up, and when nothing did, she spent most of her days shopping. At the end of the week, she was kind of bored, and couldn't wait for Lina to get there. But when she did, all she had time for was Nick. Fortunately, the boys didn't have any practises scheduled during the weekend, so Alex could keep her company. They strolled down the streets, had lunch together, did some more shopping. That night they all went out, one of the boys' assistants had volunteered to take care of Baylee, but other than that, everyone was there, even the coreographer.


Jo and Alex spent their time at the club dancing. Brian and Leigh went home early, so did Kev and Kristin, and Lina and Nick, and Jo was disappointed with her friend. She'd hoped for them to talk, catch up. Lina had missed her, she said so on the phone when they were talking during the week, but now she acted as if Jo wasn't even there. She only had eyes for Nick. 'But that's a good thing.' Jo told herself. 'She deserves someone that'll treat her right. I just hope she doesn't mess things up with him.'

"You ok, sweetie?" Alex shouted at her over the music.

She nodded. "I'm thirsty though. You want something?"

"Yeah, a bottle of water. I'll go over to Howie."
She made her way to the bar. They were in the vip-section of the club, and there were not that many people there. She quickly got two bottles of water, then returned to Alex. "Here you go." She gave him one of the bottles.

"Water for you too, huh? You can have a drink around me if you want to, love. It's ok."

"I don't drink very often anymore. And I like water."

"Anymore? Come tell me why." He sat down on a couch, pulling her with him so she ended up in his lap.

"Nah, no story to it, really." She looked away.

"You sure?"

When she nodded, he smiled. "You know, now that you're in my lap and all, it would be a shame not to kiss me too."

"I think you're right, Mr. McLean. It would be a shame, wouldn't it?" He giggled, then pulled her face down to his. FLASH! Just as they kissed.

"Guess the cat's out of the bag. They know who I'm dating now, don't you think?" He smiled at her.

"Does that bother you?"

"No... Not at all, really." He kissed her again. "Let's dance some more."

"Yeah. Good idea." She got up from his lap, took him by the hand and lead him to the dancefloor. She saw a couple of more flashes, but nothing could disturb her anymore. She was in Alex's arms, the music was loud, and she wanted him like crazy. He wanted her too, she could feel it.

"I can't do this anymore. We need to get to the hotel, or I'm going to do something very inappropriate to you, right here." He said in her ear, his eyes black with excitement.

"I know. We need to go. Now."

"I'll tell Howie. Wait by the exit."

Jo nodded and he was lost in the crowd. She went to the exit, and just as she got there, he was behind her. He grabbed her hand, and they went out to the limo that was waiting outside. A bunch of paparazzi was standing on the sidewalk, and they all rushed up to them, taking pictures.

"This your mystery girlfriend, AJ?"

"What's your name?"

"Where are you from?"

"How did you meet?"

"No comments, you guys. Leave them alone." Big Joe had followed them out from the club, and was now opening the door to the limo, so Jo and Alex could get in. Then he closed the door behind them and got into the front seat, and they were on their way back to the hotel.

"Well, hun, I have to say that you couldn't have looked prettier for your first meeting with the paparazzis. You're gorgeous." He let his hand travel up her thigh, in under her short purple dress.

She couldn't answer him, she just pulled his face close, and kissed him.


The rest of the weekend went by, without any chance for Jo to talk to Lina. They said a short goodbye when Lina was going to the airport, but that was all. The next time they were going to see each other was in Florida. Only five days remained before the boys were going to kick off their tour in the U.S. Leighanne and Baylee, and therefore Jo, would be going with them all over the country. Jo could hardly wait, she was so excited. They were flying to Florida wednesday morning. The last couple of days in New York, Jo spent her time either with Leigh and Baylee, walking around Central Park and in shops around the hotel, or with Alex. He took her with him to their rehersal one day, and she was impressed by the work that was put into the show. They danced for four hours, practising routine after routine, over and over again, then lunch, then at it again. The music was blasting through the speakers in the mirror-lined room. At the end of the session, everyone was sweating and the mirrors were fogged up. The boys sat down next to Jo and she handed them bottles of water.

"So, how you like it?" Kevin asked, wiping the sweat off of his forehead, that had trickled out from underneath the bandana he'd tied around his head.

"I love it. You guys are so talented. But I realize now that it takes more than talent. You work really hard."

Alex smiled and put his arm around her.

"Hrm... you don't smell that nice, baby..." Jo teased him.

"I don't?" He asked, sniffing his armpit. "Yuck! You're right." Everyone laughed. "Well, you try to dance for four hours straight without sweating."

"Nope. Don't have to."

"She's right. Well, I'm really hungry. How about we get back to the hotel, shower, then go out for dinner?" Howie asked, then slapped Nick across the head.

Nick put on his innocent face "What have I done to deserve this treatment? I was just sitting here."

"Yeah, right, Nick." Kevin said, and everyone laughed again. "I like Howie's suggestion. Let's get going."


They went to a small italian restaurant, Leigh had brought Baylee, and he was throwing tiny pieces of spaghetti on Nick. When Nick discovered the pasta on his arm, he blamed Howie, who was sitting across from him at the table.

"D, man... Stop it."

"What? I haven't done anything."

With a loud SPLAT half of Baylee's food ended up on Nick's arm.

"Baylee, no, you can't throw food on people. It's not nice." Leighanne told Baylee, hiding a smile.

"See, I didn't do it."

"Yeah, right. That's nice man. Get help from a two-year-old to get back at me."

Jo laughed. They were all so great. She really liked every single one of them. Her eyes met Alex's, and he smiled at her, taking her hand on the table.

"So, what happens tomorrow?" She asked looking at the others.

"Well, we have rehearsals in the morning. Then, after lunch we have some time to pack our bags, do whatever." Kevin answered.

"Ok... You need me tomorrow?" Jo looked at Leigh.

"I thought I'd bring Bay to watch the final rehersals. Then we'll take Brian with us and have lunch together. So no, you can take the day off, if you want to." Leigh said.

"Cool." Alex interrupted. "Then I'll take you somewhere. Don't make any other plans."

Jo smiled at him. "I wont."

"Then Florida Wednesday morning. First a meeting with our tour manager, publicists and so on. Press, press, press, soundchecks, more press." Kevin continued. "Same things Thursday and Friday. And Friday night, our first show."

"You know what?" Brian got up out of his seat, holding his glass of wine. "I think we should make a toast to this tour. To success, good reviews, and lots of fun."

Everyone rose from their chairs, holding up their glasses. "To success, good reviews, and lots of fun," they said as one.

"And no warderobe malfunctions." Nick added, making everyone laugh as they sat down.


The next morning Jo spent her time packing up her things, that she'd spread all over her suite. Keeping track of everyone elses stuff was something she didn't mind doing, but her own belongings was a whole other story. She finished her packing by closing the lid of her suitcase with a loud bang. Then she showered, put on some clothes, and waited for Alex to knock on her door. She didn't have to wait that long before she heard his soft knock. She opened, and smiled at him. He had a basket in his hand.

"Hey babe. What's this?" She kissed him lightly.

"We're having a picnic. You wanna come?"

She laughed. "Sure."

He took her hand, lead her out of the hotel, across the street, and up to a waiting horse-carriage, helped her into it and then got in himself.


The entire afternoon was very romantic, they ate under a tree, walked around holding hands, talking and laughing.

"How come you can go out like this without a body guard?" Jo asked him.

"That's what's so great about New York. People here are so busy minding their own business, they don't take their time to look at anyone else."

"Oh... Yeah, now that you say so, I have noticed that."

"Yeah. Have you done much shopping here?"

She smiled. "As much as my paycheck allows me to."

"Well, you wanna join me? I feel like getting some new stuff."

"Sure."

They got into a shoestore, Alex had seen some boots he liked in the window, and Jo stopped by a shelf with a pair of the most beautiful shoes she'd ever seen.

"What do you think, babe? You like these?"

She looked at him. The boots were gorgeous. "Yeah. They're really nice."

"Seen anything you like?"

"Like? Please, I'm a shoegirl. I LOVE shoes. I could probably buy every pair in this store. If I had the money for it."

"So, which are your favourites?"

"Oh, I love these." She pointed at a pair of black, knee-high boots with a dangerous stilletto heel. "Oh, and these..." A pair of white strappy sandals were in her hand.

"Try them on." He slipped his feet out of the boots, and pulled his sneakers back on.

"I can't. Can't afford them, shouldn't buy them. Got like fifty pairs of shoes."

"Just try them, would you?"

"Nope. Try them-buy them. That's the way I work. Come on. Let's go." She pulled him out by the arm.

"What about the boots? I wanted them."

"Ok then. I'll sit over there, have a coffee, and you go buy the shoes. No. Wait. There's a make-up store there. I'll be in there. Lip-gloss." He could see that there was something almost glassy about her eyes, as if she was high on drugs.

"Don't go anywhere else then. I'll be right there."

"Mhm... sure."

He just laughed and went back into she shoestore.


Jo was in heaven. Lip gloss and shoes was her two life-long passions. She found two new glosses in the make-up store, and because she felt a bit sorry she couldn't buy the shoes, she drowned her sorrow in lip gloss. When Alex came into the store, Jo was paying for her new stuff. He sneaked up behind her.

"You find something you like?"

"Yup. And now I don't feel so bad I left those shoes all alone back in the store."

"Good thing. You wanna get back to the hotel?"

"Yeah, why not."

They walked back to the hotel, took a nap, then went out for dinner with Nick and Howie.


The next morning Jo woke early. She enjoyed being in Alex's arms for a moment, then realized what day it was. She jumped out of bed, took a quick shower, then woke Alex and ran over to Brian and Leighanne's room to help keep Baylee out of their way. Soon they were in the limo, on their way to the airport, and up in the skies.


The flight was smooth, and as soon they had landed in Florida, home of the Backstreet Boys, they could hear the screams of the teenage girls. Luckily they didn't have to go through the airport, they had a couple of limos waiting on the strip. Jo, Leighanne and Baylee got into one of them, to go straight to the hotel where they were staying. They had one security guard with them, and all of the boys' luggage. The boys themselves got into the other limo, their security following them in a black van, to go to their meeting. This day would be mostly press, then one rehearsal on stage. Jo and Leigh had no plans other then to make themselves comfortable in the hotel. And the next day, thursday, Lina would be there. 'I can't wait to see her,' Jo thought. 'I hope she has time for me this time, though.


The driver rolled down the tinted window separating him from them. "We're almost there, ladies."

"Oh my GOD!" Jo gasped as she looked out the window. Outside the hotel was a large group of people.

"Guess the word's gotten out which hotel we're staying in." Leighanne said.

"You think so?" Jo's smile was ironic.

"Don't worry ladies. I'll get you through this, no biggie."

"Thanks, Deeon. Feel a whole lot safer with you 'round." Leigh smiled at him.

The limo had come to a stop, and Deeon was out the door. He kept it open for Jo, who took Baylee from Leigh as soon as she was standing outside, allowing Leigh to get out of the car.

"Alrightie ladies" Deeon said to the crowd. "Let's split to let these lovely ladies, and this handsome gentleman pass, ok?"

The heard of people parted, and Leigh, Baylee and Jo went through the crowd, into the hotel. 'This is insane,' Jo thought. 'Do I really know what I'm doing here?'