- Text Size +
Jo lay in bed staring at the green digits on her alarm clock. 3.15. She couldn’t sleep, didn’t want to get up, afraid to wake Alex, whose arm was parked around her waist in a rather firm grip. Only one day left until her 25th birthday. 25. 'God, I’m old,' she thought. Alex mumbled something in his sleep, and turned around. Jo smiled, kissed his bare shoulder, then got out of bed, onto the balcony for some fresh air. Outside the hotel, down on the street, was a small group of persistent girls, hoping to get a glimpse of their favourite stars. She could hear them talking and laughing as she sat down on a wooden chair with soft cushions lining it. The night was warm, the sky clear and starry. She saw a pack of cigarettes she knew belonged to Alex on the table, picked one out and lit it. Normally she didn’t smoke other than while she was drinking, but she felt like making an exception. She curled her legs up on the chair, and listened more carefully to what the girls in the street had to say. To her surprise, they were talking about her and Lina, the mystery girlfriends, that had only been seen on paparazzi shots. She smiled at a voice who said:

“Well, I think they’re both really pretty. You know that shot of AJ from New York, when they’re walking out from than nightclub, and he kisses her, it’s so sweet. Man, I wish I was her.”

“Yeah, or the shots from Atlanta, the Nicky ones? The first of him and that brunette? He’s so hot, and she looks... I dunno... Sweet. Really sweet.”


“What on earth are you doing out here? And dressed like that? And smoking?” Jo flew out of her chair, her heart racing. Alex was behind her, looking kind of amused. Jo looked down at her oversized t-shirt and naked legs, then started to giggle.

“I was eavesdropping on some girls in the street, talking about me and Lina.”

“Why would you do that?” He took the cigarette out of her hand, putting it between his lips.

“Actually, it’s kinda fun. Wanna sit here with me for awhile?”

“Sure.” He laughed. “You’re one weird girl, aren’t you?” He sat down in the chair, pulling her with him so she ended up on his lap.

“Yup. But sssh. You’re ruining my fun.” She took the cigarette back, then leaned on him as he held her close, and they listened to the chattering girls. It didn’t take that long for Alex’s hands to start wandering up her body, underneath her shirt. She turned around, sat facing him, her legs around his waist, and kissed him lightly. He moaned and the kiss got deeper.

“Come on, babe.” He whispered, then lifted her up in his arms and carried her back into bed.

They slept late the next morning, and for once they were actually allowed to do so. The boys had the day off, but would use it to travel to Pennsylvania for their next show. But that wasn’t until late in the afternoon, so Jo decided to make the best of the day. She and Alex were in bed most of it, but she got some time to herself when he was out getting some food for them. She used it to call Lina.

“Hey hun, what’s up?”

“Not much. You?” Lina sounded really tired.

“You ok? You sound terrible. You’re not sick, are you? Because if you can’t come to Pennsylvania to celebrate our birthdays, I’ll kill you.”

“No, I’m fine. A bit tired, but fine. Twenty-five, huh?”

“I know... we’re getting old.”

“Yup. And not the slightest bit wiser. It’s a shame. But I can enjoy the fact that I have one day more than you to enjoy my youth, before it goes away.” Lina laughed. She’d always liked to point out that Jo was older than her, if only by six hours.

“You have exactly six hours and thirteen minutes, and you know it.”

“Yeah. I know.”

“So, what time are you coming in tomorrow?”

“Round three, I think. Ant is picking me up. Nick doesn’t have time, sound check and all, so he sends his security... God, he’s such a brat.” She giggled.

“Yup, they all are. But we love them anyway, don’t we?”

“Yes, we do.”

Jo heard Alex put the key card in the lock. “Listen, I gotta go, but I’ll see you tomorrow. Safe flight. I love you.”

“Happy day-before-birthday, Jo. I love you too. See ya.”


Jo hung up, feeling happy. The annoyance and awkwardness she’d felt towards Lina was gone, now she was just so excited to see her friend. She went out into the living room to meet Alex, and laughed when she saw the bags in his hand.

“So that’s why room service wasn’t enough for you. McDonalds.”

“Yeah. There’s nothing like it.” He smiled, tugged a bit on her hair to tilt her head back and kissed her. “I missed you baby.”

“Yeah, I missed you too, for all the twenty minutes you were gone.” She said, smiling sarcastically at him, took the cap off his head and put it on her own. “Let’s eat.”


The next morning Jo woke up to a choir of voices singing Happy Birthday. She sat up in bed, grateful that she’d put on some clothes after the amazing sex she and Alex’d had last night. The room was dark, the curtains still pulled shut, the only light came from a birthday cake with twenty-five candles lit on it. The face that was most brightly lit was vaguely familiar...

“Lina!” Jo shrieked and jumped out of bed to give her a hug. “You’re here... but..."

“Yeah. We thought we’d surprise you.” Alex was smiling at her, holding a large bouquet of long-stem red roses in his arms. Leighanne took the cake from Lina and put it on a side table, as Jo hugged and kissed every person in the room. All of the boys were there, and Leighanne, Baylee and Kristin. Baylee gave her a hug and a clumsily packed present. Inside she found what she knew was one of his favourite teddy bears.

“Oh, thank you so much, Bay.”

“Yo wecom, Jojo!” He smiled, and let out a giggle when she tickled him.

“This is from us. I hope you’ll like it.” Leighanne handed her a box that Jo instantly recognized as being from Tiffany’s. She opened it, and inside was a gold locket on a thin, twisted gold chain. When she opened it, she saw a tiny picture of the Littrell family, and one of her and Alex. Tears welled up in her eyes as she hugged Brian and Leigh.

“Thank you so much. It’s really beautiful.” She clasped the chain around her neck.

“You know that my present’s coming tomorrow, as usual.” Lina smiled at her. They had exchanged gifts on Lina’s birthday for as long as any of them could remember.

“Yup. But it’s still unfair. Why do I always have to wait?” Jo filed the usual complaints.

“Cause you were stupid enough to peek out ten minutes to midnight that fateful day.” They both laughed, and so did the others. The rest of the boys had bought a gift together, a thin gold bracelet that matched with the locket, and a pair of earrings with tiny diamonds. She hugged them all, moved to tears by their generosity towards their friend’s nanny. She admired the flowers from Alex.

“They’re beautiful. Just as the rest of my gifts. Thank you.” She kissed Alex.

“You thought it was over? Oh, no, little lady. There are still gifts to come...” He got out two boxes from underneath the bed, and handed the largest one to Jo. She ripped off the wrapper and saw a shoe box, that she carefully put down on the bed. She sat down next to it, took the lid off, then slowly took away the paper that was covering what was inside. As she revealed the contents of the box she shrieked once again.

“Alex! Oh my GOD!!! You shouldn’t have. You shouldn’t have. Oh my god!” she picked up a black, knee high boot with a stiletto heel.

“You liked them, didn’t you?”

“Duh, yeah.”

“And you wanted them. Right?”

Jo nodded. “Thank you.”

“Now can you try them on?”
She nodded again, slipped her bare foot into the boot and zipped it closed. It fit perfectly. She put on the other one as well, then jumped off the bed and into his arms.

“Slow down, babe. There’s another gift as well.”

This time a bit more prepared for what was to come, she opened the other box and found the white strappy sandals she’d yearned for in the shoe store in New York, and ever since.

“Oh, baby. I love them. I love you. Oh my... Thank you!”

“I love you too. And don’t mention it. Always a pleasure to please my girl.”


Jo cut the cake, and they all sat in her bed having cake and coffee for breakfast. All of a sudden her cell phone beeped. She read the text message, answered it and tried to ignore the looks she got from Alex. Later, when everyone else had disappeared from the room, Alex asked her “That message. Who was it from?”

“Andy. He just wished me a happy birthday.”

“Oh. Ok.”

"Yeah. I’m taking a shower. Wanna join me?” she smiled at him, one eyebrow raised.

“Hmm... Hot naked girl. Water. Soap. Yeah, I’m joining. Gotta prepare for an interview anyways.”

“Yeah... blame the interview. You’re such a child.” She laughed.

“Oh... You better watch out...” He chased her around the room, got hold of her and dragged her into the shower, still wearing her pj’s. Then he turned the water on, and started to undress her, while pushing her back towards the wall and kissing her violently. She was as eager as he was, struggling to unbutton his soaked jeans. He kicked them off, ripped her pyjama pants in half, threw them out too, then in one movement lifted her up and entered her. She was pinned between the wall and him, screaming his name and biting his shoulder so hard that she could feel the taste of blood, as he moved inside of her. Within minutes, they both came. Still holding her up, Alex stroke the hair out of her face, and wiped a trickle of blood from her cheek. She looked into his eyes, smiled meekly and whispered: “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Slowly he pulled out of her, letting her stand on her own. “But dang, girl, you’ve got some sharp teeth.”

She laughed at him, and pulled him close so she could see the wounded area. Carefully she kissed the bloody mark. “I'm so sorry…”

“Yeah. It’s ok. Guess I have to rethink my wardrobe for tonight though. Our fans have eyes like eagles.”


Later that night Jo and Lina were standing just in front of the stage next to Poppa K and watching the boys perform. “I really can’t believe this, Lina. This is insane. We’re in America, at a Backstreet Boys concert, watching our boyfriends. On stage.”

“You sound like Joey from Friends when you say that. Stop it. But yes, it’s sick, but I like it.” Lina laughed.

“So do I! Shh...” It was time for Alex to talk to the fans, and Jo wanted to hear every word of it.

“How ya doin’ Hershey, PA?” A roar rose from the crowd. Jo was looking at him, spellbound, and could no longer hear what he was saying. Not until Lina shoved her elbow into her stomach.

“... really special to me in the audience, and she has a birthday today. Give it up for Joanna!” He waved at her, then blew her a kiss from the stage, and Jo felt just like her old teeny bopper-self again.