- Text Size +
When Jo hung up the phone after talking to Lina, she was everything but comforted. When she heard Sound of music in the background, she felt the past come back to her. The past where Lina was so depressed she couldn’t get out of bed, couldn’t take care of herself, couldn’t do anything without help. And Jo sitting in her dark apartment, watching her sleep, afraid that she was going to wake up and try to hurt herself. She had done that more than once, slit her wrist up with tiny cuts, not to kill herself but to drown her emotional pain in the physical. It hurt Jo more than anything when she saw the marks Lina thought she was hiding. And, through it all, the songs from Sound of music, as the happy soundtrack to their pain.

“God, I hate Sound of Music.” Jo muttered to herself as she went into the bedroom of Alex’s suite, where he was resting.

“What was that?” Alex asked her.

“I just hate Sound of music.”

“You thinkin' about Sound of Music? Why? I thought you were talking to Lina.”

“Yeah. And Lina was watching it.”

Alex laughed. “Why?”

“It’s this thing she does. Whenever life goes against her or she’s unhappy in any way, she watches Sound of Music. During her worst depression I lived with her, and she made me watch it like five times a day. Almost made me crazy.”

“But you stuck through it?”

“Yup. Earplugs. She was so depressed, she didn’t know what I was doing. She just yelled at me from time to time.”

“She was mad at you?”

“No. Earplugs.”

“So, why is she depressed now?”

“She thinks Nick doesn’t want kids.”

“Where she get an idea like that? Nick loves kids.”

“He said it. To Bri, I think.”

“I doubt that. She must have misunderstood something he said.”

“I doubt that. She gave me the direct quote.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“I feel like you’re just mimicking what I say. You’re starting to piss me off. She has to tell Nick. If she doesn’t, then I will.”

“You promised!”

He got out of bed, pulled his jeans on, stuck his feet in a pair of boots and walked into the living room. “Yeah, I promised. But I also promised, during rehab, that I would never lie to him, or any of the guys, again.”

“You are so not telling him.”

“Not right now, no. But if she doesn’t soon, I will. That’s another promise, princess.” He opened the door and walked out on her. She was so mad at him she didn’t know what to do.

“He drives me fcuking CRAZY!” she yelled, grabbed a pillow from the couch and threw it at the door he’d closed behind him.