- Text Size +
Lina lay on the couch at her mum’s house just doing nothing. Since she’d come home all she’d done was cry. She hadn’t even talked to Jo. As she lay there thinking about how much she missed Jo, her mum came rushing in to the living room with a newspaper in her hand.


“Lina, honey, you need to see this. I’m so sorry, I know how you feel but I don’t want you to find out from someone else.” Her mother sounded really upset. She sat up and reached for the paper. Her mother hesitantly gave it to her. She gasped for air as she saw the head line.


“Backstreet’s Babies. Bliss or sorrow? We tell you All about the Boys New Lives”


“My god...” was all she could say. She read the article and tears flooded her eyes. She couldn’t understand how this had reached the press. She stroke her belly as to protect her baby from the bad news. She was only 9 weeks pregnant but she already thought about the baby as a living person. She read the article over and over again. She desperately wanted to call Jo but she was afraid to. She didn’t know how Jo reacted to her leaving and she was scared of the thought of Jo being mad at her.


“You have to call Jo. Talk to her. You’ve been best friends forever. She wouldn’t just abandon you.” her mother pleaded. She’d been trying to get Lina to call Jo ever since she got home.

“I think I have to.” She got up and grabbed the phone. She dialled the familiar number to Jo’s cellphone and heard the signals coming through. She was nervous. This was the first time ever that they hadn’t talked to each other for this long.


“Hello” Jo answered.

“Hi, it’s me, Lina” she said nervously.

“Lina, you have no idea how glad I am to hear from you. Are you okay?”

“I’m okay. I’m so sorry I haven’t called. I was afraid you would be mad...”

“Why would I be mad at you? I thought you were mad at me.”

They both sighed and laughed when they realized that none of them were mad at the other.

“I just read the paper. How the hell has this gotten out to the press?”

“I don’t know. Everyone here is really upset about it.”

Lina stopped talking for a moment and then nervously asked the question that been burning inside of her.

“How’s Nick?”
“Lina... I don’t know. We have seen him once since the last show in Canada. On a video shoot. And he didn’t look good. He’s really hurting over this. Is there any way for you to solve this?”

“No! I don’t wanna see him. He made it perfectly clear that he didn’t wanna see me either.”

“He was upset. He didn’t know what’d happened. When he found out...”

“Stop.” Lina interrupted her. “I don’t wanna hear it. It’s over. He doesn’t trust me. And I don’t know if I could trust him either. He said some awful things to me.”

“I know. And I’m so sorry about that. I wished I could have been there for you. We’re gonna be in Sweden in a couple of days you know. I wanna see you...”

“I really wanna see you too but I’m not going to Stockholm if that’s what you’re after. I couldn’t stand seeing him. It hurts you know...” she felt the tears running down her cheeks again. It didn’t matter how much she cried. The pain never disappeared.


“Lina, honey, don’t cry.”

“I’m trying. But lately it seems I’ve been doing that a lot.”

They talked for a while and Jo told her about Leighanne and everything else that had been going on. After a while Leighanne called for Jo and she had to go.

“I'll call you when we get to Sweden, okay?”

“Yeah. Maybe we could meet and talk.”

As she hung up the phone she felt a hand on her shoulder. "I told you she wasn’t mad at you.”

“Yes, and you were right mum. I think I’m gonna go to bed for a while. I’m tired.”


She walked upstairs to her old room and crawled into bed. 'How did something so perfect go so wrong?' she thought. She cried herself to sleep, thinking about Nick and the feeling of him close to her as they just to lay in bed cuddling and talking all night.