- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Song credits, Crawling back to you, by the Backstreet Boys.
Jo was everything but happy. Lina was injured, her relationship to Alex was still no good and everything felt like a mess. She was getting dressed to go to the venue in Portugal, where they were to watch the final concert of the European leg, then go out to celebrate. Baylee was in the safe hands of his grandmother, and Jo had been ordered to come to the venue.


"I really don’t feel like going to the concert. I’d rather stay here." A soft knock on the door interrupted her muttering, and she quickly zipped up the white dress she’d chosen for the evening and ran to open it. When she did, her first reaction was to close it again, but it seemed as if he’d read her thoughts. He put his foot in the way, forced his way into the room.

“Alex? Shouldn’t you be at the sound check?”

“Done it already.”

“Well then, shouldn’t you be getting ready for the show?”

“I am ready. See?” He twirled around, and she noticed he did have the clothes for the first set on.

“Ok, let me make myself clear: Why on earth are you here?”

“I was thinking about what you said the last time we talked. Well, someone made me think about it.”

“Oh, and who would that be? Ashley?”

“Nope. My mother. She was there when you came in, and she’s spent every moment she’s awake since then to make me talk to you.”

“Oh, so you’re here because your mother is forcing you? Well, you should have picked a better time. I have to get ready.”

“I’ll be here until you talk to me.”

“I’ll talk, don’t worry about that. Spill, then.” She walked back to the mirror, started brushing her hair.

“I love you, Jo. I really do. I’ve been too proud and too scared to admit that. It killed me to see you with Ryan. And I don’t like that feeling, so I turned it into anger instead. I love you.”

“I... I don’t know what to say.” She put down her hairbrush, turned to face him.

“Then don’t talk. I know I’ve hurt you, I know you’re disappointed, I know... And I’m sorry. Really, truly sorry. I never wanted to let you go in the first place. You know that.” He looked up at her from his place on the couch, those deep brown eyes dug their way into her soul, and she could feel her heart breaking once again.

“Yes. It was me... I couldn’t take it all. Looking back on it, I can see that I was wrong, but at the time... I felt like I had no other options.” She wiped away a tear that had made it’s way down her cheek.

“I understand. Would you please just come over here and kiss me now?”

She smiled. “I guess I could.” She walked over to him, took his hands and pulled him up so he was standing in front of her. Never letting go of his eyes she kissed him softly. “I love you, Alex.”

He pulled her closer, kissed her again, a deep heartfelt kiss that made her knees weak. “I love you too, Jo.”

“We should go. Let me just put my hair up.”

“Nope. You should wear it like that, only...” he messed her hair up. “There. It’s beautiful. You are beautiful. Let’s go. I have a limo waiting outside.”

“Going in style, are we Mr. McLean?”

“Hell yeah!”


“Do you know what made me realise this was going to be ok?” Alex asked, comfortably leaning against the seat of the limo, his arm around Jo.

She laughed. “No? Tell me!”

“The shoes. You’re wearing the shoes I gave you.”

“Yep, I am. I love them, but I don’t have many opportunities to wear them. Figured this was a good one.”

“It is.” He kissed her, a deep kiss that lasted until they got to the venue. They both went in the backstage door, and Jo started her search for Lina, Leighanne and Kristin after kissing Alex goodbye. She spotted the girls and got the help of Big Joe to get to them. She sat down and smiled at them, just as the lights went out and the opening act entered the stage. She clapped along with everyone else, and sunk deeper in her chair to enjoy the concert. She laughed along with the rest of the crowd as they showed the ending of the Just Want You To Know-video. Then she stiffened in her seat as she heard the words that were said on stage.

“There’s someone I dedicate this one to. I know I’ve been a jerk, and I wanna make it up to her. Joanna. Sing it, Bri.”

Jo heard the opening chords to her favourite song off Never Gone, then Brian started singing.


“Everybody knows that I was such a fool to ever let go of you
And baby I was wrong
And yeah I know I said we'd be better off alone
It was time that we moved on
I know I broke your heart, I didn't mean to break your heart
But baby here I am,”


Jo felt tears coming out, and there was nothing she could do to stop them. She had goose bumps all over her body. Then the rest of the boys sang along with Brian, but all she could hear was Alex’s voice. He was looking in her direction, waving his hand as he sang.


“Banging on your front door
My pride spilled on the floor
My hands and knees are bruised and I'm crawling back to you
Begging for a second chance
Are you gonna let me in?
I was running from the truth and now I'm crawling back to you.”


Jo felt Lina’s hand taking hers, and she hugged it tightly. Nick started singing, and she could feel Lina’s hand shaking in hers.


“I know you’re in there and you can make me wait, but I'm not gonna wait
It's the that least I could do, just to tell you face to face
I was lying to myself, now I'm dying in this hell
Girl I know you're mad
I can't blame you for being mad
But baby here I am, “


Alex’s voice joined Nicks, and Jo and Lina looked at each other and let out a high-pitched scream.


“Banging on your front door
My pride spilled on the floor
My hands and knees are bruised and I'm crawling back to you
Begging for a second chance
Are you gonna let me in?
I was running from the truth and now I'm crawling back to you”


Nick sang out with all his power, sending chills up and down the spine of both Lina and Jo.


“If you could see these tears I’m crying
Touch these hands that can't stop shaking
Hear my heart that’s barely beating
You would see a different man...
Tell her, Alex!”


He screamed out the last part, and Alex just smiled and headed for the side of the stage, where he knew Jo was sitting, singing softly, and the entire venue fell silent.


“But baby here I am,
Banging on your front door
My pride spilled on the floor
My hands and knees are bruised
And”


The rest of the boys joined in with him, and he smiled and waved at Jo. The crowd woke up again and screamed at the top of their lungs, as did Jo.


“I'm crawling back to you
I'm begging for a second chance
Are you gonna let me in?
I was running from the truth and now I'm crawling back to you
Banging on your front door
My pride spilled on the floor
I was running from the truth and now I'm crawling back to you”


As they finished the song Lina handed Jo a pack of tissues, but took three out first, giving them to Leighanne and Kristin, and taking one for herself.

“That was... amazing! Did he just do this out of the blue?” Lina screamed over the noise.

“Well, we talked before the show... but I had no idea.”

“You talked? Jo, that’s great!” Lina turned to Leigh, who was sitting next to her, and screamed. “They’ve talked!”

Leigh looked at Jo, who nodded, and smiled giving her two thumbs up.


They enjoyed the rest of the concert, then headed backstage. As soon as Jo laid eyes on Alex she began to cry again. She ran up to him and threw herself in his arms.

“I love, you, I love you, I love you. That was beautiful. Oh my GOD!”

He just smiled at her, wiping the tears away from her cheeks. “I love you too. Jo, there’s someone I’d love for you to meet.” He turned around and waved at an older woman. Jo recognized her immediately. The woman came up to them, both of her hands stretched out to Jo.

“Hello, dear. You must be Jo. I’m Denise McLean, Alex’s mother.”

“Hi! Yes I’m Jo. It’s so nice to meet you!”

“Ditto!”

The two women talked while Alex went into the dressing room to shower and change. When he came out again he smiled at his mother. “I’m so sorry mum, but I have got to steal Jo away from you. I need to talk to her. Go with the others, and we’ll catch up with you guys at the restaurant.” He took Jo’s hand and dragged her away, out of the venue and into a waiting limo.

“Alex? Where are we going?”

“You’ll see. It’s not far.”

When the limo stopped he got out before her, helped her out.

“We’re back at the hotel? Why?”

“Shh. No questions. Just come with me.” He lead her through the lobby, and through another door, out into the hotel garden. The pool was glistening dimly in the light of hundreds of candles, there was a hammock and a guitar.

Jo gasped. “It’s beautiful.”

“You wanna sit down with me for a while?” Alex smiled.
She couldn’t answer, just nodded. They sat down in the hammock, and he picked up the guitar, played a few soft chords on it, then started singing.

“Opposites attract, chemicals react. Like when I look at you. Deserts neither rain, fires feed the flame. You can't deny what's true. I can't help the way I feel. Cause you got me, yeah. All these elements are real. They come from deep within me.”

She smiled. “Just like that first time...”

“Yeah. Just like that first time. I wanted it that way. Just to erase all the shit that has been going on in between. I want it to be like the first time we kissed. When we were in Sweden I talked to your father, when you and your mother were in the ladies room. I asked him for his permission and blessing for me to propose to you.”

He pulled a jewellery box out of his pocket and got down on one knee in front of her.

“So will you? Joanna, will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?”

Jo just stared at him for a moment, then smiled at him, tears again welling up in her eyes. “Yes! Of course! Oh, Alex, I love you!” She threw herself around his neck, hugging him tightly. He pulled her down so she sat on his lap and kissed her.

“I love you too.” He opened the box and took out the ring, a thin platinum band with one large diamond in the middle, and tiny ones sprinkled all around it. His hands were shaking when he slid it onto her finger.

“Oh my god. It’s beautiful. And it fits perfectly. I love it. I love you!”

“I love you too. Should we go tell the others and celebrate?”

“I think we should.”