- Text Size +
Lina was lying on her bed doing nothing. She couldn’t stop thinking about her and Nick. He had been so understanding lately and it drove her crazy. He acted like she was made out of glass. She just wanted to forget about the awful things that’d happened. Why couldn’t he? She didn’t wanna be with someone who thought she couldn’t take care of herself. She’d made up her mind about staying with Nick despite the life she would be forced to live and it hadn’t been an easy decision to make, but she’d be damned if she would let him go on treating her like a child who needed protection from everything. She knew she had to talk to him about it but she didn’t know how to make him understand.


They were gonna look for a house but for now they were both living with Brian and Leighanne until they’d find a place of their own.


“Lina honey, are you here?” Nick yelled from downstairs. He sounded upset so she got up to answer him.

“Yeah, I’m up here, what is it?”

“You have to see this. I can’t believe those damn reporters.” She walked down the stairs seeing Nick holding a newspaper and shaking with anger.

“Calm down, baby. Why are you so upset?”

“Because I hate fucking reporters! That’s why. Look at this.” He handed her the newspaper and she gasped from chock when she saw the article. There was a huge picture of her with her arm in a bandage and bruises in her face with a horrifying head line.


“Backstreet Nick has done it again.”


The article said that Nick had hit his new girlfriend and was repeating his old behaviour from his relationship with Paris.

“I don’t believe this,” she said still looking at the article.

“I’m so gonna sue them.” Nick said he’s voice low and full of anger.

“This is gonna be okay baby. We’ll just do a press conference where I deny it all.”

“Not gonna happen, I don’t want you in the spotlight again after what happened in Spain.”

“Come on Nick. This has to stop,” she said in a high pitched voice.

“What?”

“This. You’re treating me like a child. I know what has happened. I was there remember? But you have to let this go. I can’t live my life constantly hiding.”

“I just want you to be safe.”

“I know, but you’re driving me crazy here.”

“I don’t care, I ‘m not doing a press conference, there’s too much people around.”


They were both staring angrily at each other. He didn’t understand why she was reacting like this. All he wanted was to protect her.

“I don’t understand Lina. All I want is for you and the baby to be safe.”

“Well maybe I don’t wanna be safe. I just wanna live a normal life,” she yelled at him. All the insecurity of her ability to live her life like this came rushing up again.

“Well you knew who I was from the beginning,” Nick yelled back.

“I know, but I’m tired of this, I don’t want to live my life constantly afraid. And I don’t want you constantly trying to protect me. I want a life. Why can’t you see that?”

“I understand that. I’m just saying that your life is different now.”

“I know that, and it’s driving me crazy.” She slammed the paper on the table and ran upstairs.

Nick looked at her running away not knowing what to do. Her words felt like knives in his heart. Didn’t she want him anymore? He was afraid of the answer.


Angry and upset he decided to go out. He slammed the door behind him and went to a new club down town and drank a couple of beers. All he could think of was Lina. 'She can’t leave me,' he thought. 'I won’t survive without her.'


“Hi there,” he heard a familiar voice behind him. He turned around and looked into a pair of blue eyes.

“Hi Paris.” He had a hard time focusing. The beers made him all dizzy.

“So why are you here all by yourself?” She sat down next to him putting her hand on his shoulder.

“Back off Paris.”

“In a bad mood huh? Trouble in paradise?”

“That’s none of your business.”

“Let me comfort you Nicky, you know I can make you forget all about her.” She leaned closer and before he had the chance to react he felt her lips on his. For a brief moment he kissed her back not noticing the flash from a camera.