- Text Size +
Jo sat at the kitchen table in her parents’ house reading the paper and listening to Alex talking on the phone. She took a deep breath, inhaling the wonderful scent of the stew that was bubbling in the oven. It smelled like home. Leighanne came into the kitchen accompanied by Jo’s mother, they were talking and laughing.

“Are you sure you wouldn’t mind?” Tina asked with a glance at Leigh.

“Absolutely! You’ve been so nice to me, opening up your home to me when I’ve been here, so I’d love to return the favour.”

Jo looked up. “What are you talking about?”

“I’ve just invited your parents over for Christmas, Jo.” Leigh pulled her hair back and put it up in a ponytail with a rubber band she had around her wrist.

“That’s great! You’re coming, right?” Jo looked at her mother. “You have to come!”

“I have to talk to Stephan first, but it’s a lovely idea. We could even celebrate a real Swedish Christmas on Christmas Eve. I could arrange that...” Tina’s voice faded out and Jo could see how thoughts were spinning around in her mother’s head.

“Oh, mum, I’d love that. All the traditional stuff. Donald! Do you know anyone who has Donald Duck on tape?”

“I’ll get it from somewhere. Oh, forget about Stephan. Leigh, we’re coming. And if you don’t mind, I’d like to fix a traditional Swedish Christmas on Christmas Eve.”

“That sounds great! I guess we’d better get started on the travel arrangements and the planning...” arm in arm they started to walk out of the kitchen.

“Mum!” Jo’s voice made them both turn around. “What about Lina? And Monica and Lisa? They always spend Christmas with us.”

Tina looked at Leighanne. “Lina’s mother and sister.” she explained.

“They’re welcome too, of course. Lina’s practically family anyways.”

“Yeah. I just hope that she and Nick resolved things last night. If they didn’t, hell will freeze over before she sets foot on US ground again.” Jo shook her head.

“I bet they did. They’re too perfect for one another to stay apart.” Leighanne smiled reassuringly.

“I hope you’re right.” Jo folded up the newspaper and watched her mother and Leigh walk out of the kitchen.

Alex had moved out of the kitchen when the women started talking, but now he came back with a smile on his face. “I invited my mother to spend Christmas with us.”

Jo got up and hugged him. “My parents are coming too. We’re having a traditional Swedish Christmas on Christmas Eve... They will get to meet! Oh, this is going to be exciting! I hope they’ll like each other!”

Alex laughed and pulled her even closer. “They will, don’t you worry Princess.” Still smiling he kissed her softly, and she had to take a deep breath to stop herself from undressing him right there.


The sound of the phone ringing was what finally made them pull apart. Jo picked it up and answered.

“Joanna.”

“Hey girl!”

“Lina! How are you?”

“Fabulous! Never better.”

“So you guys...”

“We made up. He’s so wonderful, Jo. I can’t believe it.”

“I’m so glad! Listen, we’ve been talking here... Leighanne wants to invite us all over for Christmas. All the boys, and their families as well if they wanna come, and my parents are coming, and you and your mom and Lisa are welcome as well. Mom is already planning a Swedish Christmas on Christmas Eve, and then we will celebrate a traditional American Christmas on Christmas day. Say you’ll come!”

“Of course. And mom and Lisa will probably be thrilled. Good thing I only subletted my apartment. And I still have those open tickets Nick gave me for my birthday. I was too pissed with him to use them,” she laughed.

“You’re gonna squeeze three people into your studio? Don’t be silly, I bet there’s room for you guys in the house.”

“I still wanna show them how I live there. I’m gonna talk to them, and then I’ll call you back, ok?”

“Yeah, we have to make the travel arrangements as soon as possible.”

“Got it! I’ll talk to you later! Bye!”

“Bye!” Jo hung up with a smile on her face, and started to dance around the kitchen. “They made up!” She made a pirouette and landed in Alex’s arms.

“They did? That’s great news!”

“Yup, it is! Come on, I can’t stay inside. Let’s go for a walk!”

Alex looked out, snow was falling and it was getting dark. “You wanna walk in that?”

“You bet I do. Come on now Sunshine-boy!”

Alex muttered under his breath, but followed her out into the foyer where she picked out a jacket for him from a closet. “It’s dad’s, but it’ll do. You’ll freeze your ass off if you wear your own clothes.” They dressed in jackets, scarves and gloves, and Jo put on an old cap she used to wear when she lived at home, then went outside.

“You’re insane, Jo!” Alex yelled after her when she jumped out in the thick layer of snow that covered the lawn. She just smiled and gathered some snow in her hands, made it into a ball and threw it at him, laughing loudly. A minute later they were in the middle of a huge snowball fight. A stray ball landed on Stephan as he got home from work, which made him join the fight with great enthusiasm, so Jo had to call for reinforcements.

Laughing she ran into the house and yelled “Mom! Leighanne! Get out here! They’re killing me!” Tina and Leigh came running to see what was going on.

“Hmm, a snowball fight.” Tina smiled as she put on her jacket. “I’ve never been too good for that. You wanna come, Leigh? If we outnumber them we can probably win.”

Leigh laughed as she put her own jacket on. “Nothing could stop me!” With a scream worthy of Xena the warrior princess she rushed through the door with Tina right behind her, picked up some snow and threw it at Alex.


An hour later they were all exhausted and called a truce to go inside and have dinner. Jo set the table and Leigh was chopping vegetables up for a salad, while Tina took the stew out of the oven and put it in the middle of the table. The smell and the sight of her mother with a happy smile on her face made Jo’s eyes tear up. She put the last plate in its place and gave her mother a hug.

“Jo? Are you ok?”

“Yeah... I’m just... so happy to be home for awhile. So happy that you’re coming with us for Christmas. I’m just so happy, mom.” She let her tears fall on her mother’s blue sweater.

“I know sweetie. I know.” Tina patted her daughter on the back. “You’ve been through some hard times, and now that you’re finally happy again, it’s the best feeling in the world. Sit down now, darling, and let me go get them boys so we can eat.”

Jo did as she was told, wiping her cheeks as she sat down. A few seconds later Tina came back with Alex and her father, and they all sat down to eat.

“I just got off the phone with the airline, and we’ve got tickets for tomorrow evening.” Alex said as he put some stew on his plate.

“That’s... tomorrow! Geez, I have to... pack, shop, everything!” Tina exclaimed.

“Don’t worry mom, there are stores over there as well.” Jo smiled at her mother. “We can go shopping for the food we need to bring tonight, and we can pack tomorrow! It’s no big deal.”

“No big deal...” Tina muttered to herself as she quickly finished her meal.


“See mom, everything is done, we’re here at the airport on time, and you’re still in one piece,” Jo smiled as they boarded the plane. The stewardess smiled at Alex and showed them the way to the front of the plane. “This way, Mr. McLean.” She opened a door that led into the first class part of the plane and smiled again. “There will be no more passengers in first class, so you can spread out as much as you want.”
Tina looked at Alex, a wrinkle between her eyebrows. “First class Alex?”

“Only the best.” He smiled at her.

“But...” Stephan raised his voice, but Alex cut him off.

“You paid for dinner, remember? And you’ve let us stay in your house. So please don’t argue this.”

The stewardess came back with a tray of champagne glasses. “Champagne.” She smiled and gave a glass to Stephan, who sat down.

“Thank you.”