- Text Size +
Jo cuddled up next to Alex on the living room couch and looked up at the Christmas tree. He smiled and pulled her closer.
“You know, you look like a kid in a candy store,” he chuckled.

Jo laughed and hid her face by his neck. “I know. It’s pathetic, isn’t it? I’m grown up and I still act like a baby when it comes to Christmas.”

“It’s not pathetic, it’s cute.” He looked at his watch and smiled. “Look... It’s midnight. I wanted to give you your present now, when we’re in between our Christmases. I could have gotten you two, but it just seemed like a waste.” He pulled up a tiny black box, not unlike the box her ring had come out of. She opened it, and found a tiny silver key, attached to a chain, so she could wear it around her neck. She smiled and kissed him.

“It’s adorable. Thank you.”

“Wait! That’s not all,” he laughed. “How cheap do you think I am? No, the key is an exact replica of this one...” he pulled a silver key chain from his pocket, and it had a regular key attached to it. “I haven’t bought a house yet, because I figured you’d want a say in that, but I’ve bought the lock, and it will be attached to the door of the house I buy for us.”

Jo jumped up from the couch and danced around in the living room, trying her hardest not to scream her joy out to the world and wake everybody up. She fell onto his lap and kissed him.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you so, Alex! Oh, I was going to save my other present for you until tomorrow, but I can’t wait.”

He adjusted the silver necklace she’d given him, with its pendant of a small skull and a rose entwined together, a custom made design she’d drawn and given to a jeweller, who had done an amazing job. It was perfect. “You’ve already given me more than enough.”

She shook her head and got another little package from underneath the tree, and carefully gave it to him. He opened it up and found another box from the same jewellery store as the necklace. He looked at the box for awhile, then slowly opened the lid. Inside was a silver ring with the same design as the necklace. He looked at Jo, with a big smile on his lips.

“It’s gorgeous. Thank you, sweetheart.” He pulled her close and kissed her.

“Look inside it.”

He carefully took the ring out of the box and looked, read the inscription on the inside out loud. “Alex and Jo, Lisbon 11/11 2005... it’s like...” He looked at Jo, who nodded and smiled.

“An engagement ring. I know that it’s not a custom here to exchange rings when you get engaged, but it is in Sweden, and I wanted you to have one. Will you wear it?” She looked at him, almost shy.

“Of course I will! You could have given me a cardboard box to wear on my finger, and I would have. But this... this is amazing.”

He placed the ring in her hand, and she slid it onto his finger. Then he got to his feet and lifted her up in his arms, and carried her all the way up to her bedroom, where they were both staying now.


The next morning Jo was up early, even though she hadn’t slept much the night before. She showered and got dressed in a red dress she felt was perfect for the occasion, and went downstairs to prepare for breakfast. Even though she technically wasn’t working, it belonged to her everyday routine, and she did it without even thinking about it. Whistling she put on some coffee, reheated some of the rice porridge, a traditional Swedish Christmas dish, that was left over from the night before, and whipped up a pancake batter. She heard voices as she put some butter in the frying pan, and before she knew it she had the kitchen full of people. Leighanne had taken Baylee with her down, and bumped in to Jo’s parents who had woken up to the smell of coffee. Tina pushed Jo away from the stove, and took over the spatula.

“You go sit down, dear! I’ll take care of this.” Jo knew there was no use in arguing, so she brought two large cups of coffee and sat down next to her father at the table. Baylee was already stuffing his face with the porridge. The door opened again, and Brian walked in, accompanied by Kevin and Kristin.

“Look what I found outside the door!” he joked, making Baylee laugh and scream for attention. Jo smiled and got up to hug the two newcomers.

“What’s that on your necklace, Jo?” Kristin asked as they let go of each other.

“Oh, it’s Alex’s Christmas present. It’s a key.”

“A key?”

“Yup, a perfect replica of the house key for our new house that we’re getting.” Jo was all smiles as her mother threw the spatula and ran over to her.

“You’re getting a house?”

“Yeah, mom. As much as we like it here, we can’t stay here forever. But it has to be somewhere nearby, cause I’m not leaving this little fella!” Jo said as she scooped Baylee up into her arms and twirled around to make him laugh. After everyone had breakfast they moved into the living room, where stockings hung on the fireplace, and everyone opened more presents.


The day went by quickly, they ate, drank eggnog and listened to carollers, then Kevin took place at the piano, and they all sang together until it was late and everyone was too tired to keep their eyes open. Baylee had fallen asleep hours ago on Tina’s lap, but they didn’t want to put him in his bed, they wanted him to hear the carols through his sleep. When they all walked upstairs to go to bed, Jo joined Tina as she gently put Baylee down in his bed.

“He’s a doll, isn’t he?”

“I think he’s the most adorable little boy I have ever seen.” She pulled the covers up around him, and Jo gave him a little kiss on the forehead. As they walked out of the room, Jo turned to her mother.

“Do you think I’m doing the right thing here, mom? I mean, moving here is a big step.”

Tina took Jo’s hand and held it. “I told you that day at the airport to go with what your heart tells you. I’m standing by my word. This place, these people... they’re real, Jo, just as you and me. There’s no superstar drama, no divas. Just real, genuinely nice people. And Alex... correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t I heard you talk about him for ten years now, saying you wanna marry that man?”

Jo giggled. “Yeah... And that was before I even met him. But seriously, mom, this is for real. It has nothing to do with what I said back then. I’m not star struck. I’m in love.”

“Of course it hasn’t. You’re yourself around him. I can tell, you know. And I think he is himself around you as well. I don’t know him well enough to tell, so I’ll have to talk to his mother about that. I’m so looking forward to meeting her.”

“Yeah. I’m so sorry she couldn’t make it today. I think you’ll like her.”

“I think so too, dear. What do you say? Should we call it a night?”

“Yeah, I think we should.”

They had been standing in the hallway talking, and as Tina approached her door, Jo asked “Mom? Are you sure you don’t mind me moving here? Permanently, I mean.”

Tina turned around and smiled. “Of course. There are airplanes, right? And telephones, and emails, and loads of other ways to talk. It will be fine, I promise!” With that, she walked into the room she and Stephan shared, and gently closed the door behind her. Jo smiled to herself, and tip toed into her own room, where she snuck down under the covers and cuddled up next to the sleeping Alex.