- Text Size +
Lina walked down the street listening to music and singing along. She was, of course listening to her favourite music by the Backstreet Boys. She instantly started to feel better. 'I think I’m going to visit Sarah,' she thought. 'Maybe she wants to go and get some coffee or something. Maybe do a little shopping. That would make me feel better'. She smiled to herself and started to walk towards Sarah’s home. It took her 20 minutes to get there and she knocked on the door. She felt like it took forever for someone to open, so she knocked again. Just when she stopped knocking the door opened, but it wasn’t Sarah who stood there, it was Dan.


“Hi” she said surprised and looked at him, “I didn’t know you would be here.”

“Hi” he answered, “what do you want?”

“I’m here to see your sister; she is my friend you know.”

“I know but I don’t understand why she wants to be your friend” he said and looked at her with anger in his eyes.

“Dan we have talked about this so many times, I know you are hurt but I couldn’t stay with you when the feelings weren’t there. You can’t blame me for that.”

Dan sighed and looked at her with sadness instead of the anger. “I know, but you can’t blame me for not agreeing with you. I really loved you and I thought you where the one, my god we were engaged to be married.”


Lina looked at him and she remembered their time together. It was wonderful, but they had been too young and rushed into things too fast. She wasn’t ready for all that now. She needed time to grow, and find out who she was. And she had simply fallen out of love with Dan. Even though she felt sad now when he stood there in front of here, she knew she had maid the right decision.


“I have said I’m sorry so many times Dan, I can’t do it anymore. I just hope someday you can forgive me.”


Right then Sarah showed up at the door and Lina felt relieved, she couldn’t handle Dan and his feelings right now, it was just to much with the job, missing Jo, and trying to create a life as a single woman. Seeing Dan only reminded her of the fact the she was on her own these days. And sometimes that scared her. But she was determined to make it. She didn’t want to depend on anyone but herself right now. She needed to know that she could do that.


“Hi Sarah, I was just wondering If you feel like taking a coffee and maybe do some shopping today?”

“Sure I’m always up for that you know, are we going right now?”

“Well if you have the time so yeah now would be good”

“Just let me get my things and we can go, Dan could you watch the dogs for me today? It would be really nice of you. I am letting you live her aren’t I?

“Sure I can do that, no problem, see you later, bye Lina.”

She stood there for a while looking at him, then turned around and started to move away. She didn’t want to face him, she had really hurt him and she couldn’t do anything about it.


She spent the day with Sarah talking about everything and nothing. Lina was really glad that Sarah didn’t blame her for breaking up with her brother. When she left and started to walk home again she felt much better. Talking to Jo and spending the day with Sarah had really been good for her. She remembered the time when she was really depressed about everything and she couldn’t find her way out of it. 'If Jo hadn’t been there for her then...' she thought. “No don’t go there” she said to herself, "you’re not that person anymore. Everything will get better soon. It has to." Lina unlocked the door and walked in to her apartment. She looked at the answering machine but there were no messages. “Typical” she said.


Lina started to take of her clothes and get ready for bed. 'Tomorrow,' she thought, 'has to be a better day than this. I’ll start searching for a new job.' She crawled down in bed and started to fantasise about moving far away and start over. Before she knew it she fell asleep. She dreamed of moving far away and finding the love of her life.


The next day Lina woke up feeling happy. She stretched out in bed and smiled to herself. “I told you this day would be better, didn’t I,” she said and jumped out of bed and in to the bathroom. While brushing her teeth the phone rang, and she ran to answer it.

“Hello? Oh, hi mum! Yes everything’s fine" Lina said while still trying to brush her teeth.

“Honey, what are you doing? You’re sounding really strange.”

Lina laughed and tried to explain that she had been brushing her teeth when the phone rang and she just answered without thinking about it. Her mother laughed.

“Sometimes I believe that you never think before you act honey... So what’s your plan for today?”

“I’m going to start searching for a new job, and mum, I’m thinking about moving far away...”
Lina waited for a reaction, she wasn’t sure about how her mother would react about her moving away. They had always been really close.

“I think that’s a good idea” her mother said. “Of course I’m going to miss you but I can come and visit, right?”

“Mum of course you can, all the time” Lina smiled, relieved about her mum’s reaction.

I have to go now, if I’m going to get anything done today, talk to you later mum, love you!”

“Ok bye, see you soon.” She hung up the phone and danced her way in to the living room. She put on some music and danced back into the bathroom while loudly singing I Want It That Way, still trying to brush her teeth.


Four hours later she was still sitting in the waiting room at the job centre waiting for her turn to come in. 'This is so boring,' she thought to her self. 'I want it to be my turn now so I can come home sometime today.'

“Lina Carlson”

“Yes that’s me” she said, standing up and walking towards the woman who called out her name.

“Welcome. Please follow me” they walked in to an office and sat down.

“So you are looking for a job I understand?”

“Yes I am, here are some papers from my previous job. I like to do something like that again.”

“Okay, well for right now all you can do is take these papers and fill them in, leave them in the reception on your way out, we will contact you soon and we have some more time to talk and go over the options.”

Lina just stared at the woman infront of her. This was it? 'After four hours all they do is give me some papers to fill out,' she thought and felt how anger came over her. 'Okay, calm down,' she said to herself, 'walk away and say nothing!'


She got up and thanked the woman. 'I'll fill in those papers at home,' she thought and walked home really upset about the fact that she had just wasted the last four hours on nothing. When she got inside her apartment she noticed that she had some messages on the answering machine.