- Text Size +
Jo turned off the last lamp and crawled into bed next to Alex. She sighed happily, as she’d done every night since he’d come home from the final leg of the tour. She listened to his breathing, guessing that he was already asleep, and snuggled into the pillow. She jumped when he put his arm around her.

“Geez, scare me to death again, would you?”

“I could, but I kinda like it when you’re alive.”

“Gee, thanks.” She laughed and turned to face him. She could see the outlines of his body in the dark, a deeper shade of black.

“Listen, I’ve been thinking...”

“Yeah?”

“This house thing... We haven’t really talked about our plans for the future.” He let his hand run up and down her arm.

“Yeah... I know. We’ve been so busy, I haven’t really thought about it.”

“We’re getting married May 20th... The wedding plans?”

“Well, I have thought about that, but I wanted to talk to you. It’s our wedding, it’s not just mine.”

“I’ve always pictured myself getting married on a beach somewhere... but I don’t know. I think we should do it here in Atlanta. I think maybe we should live here as well.”

“I kinda thought you wanted to go back to California?”

“You know, I’m not so sure anymore. We’ve got ourselves a life here.”

“You’re right babe. I’d really love to stay close to Brian and Leigh, and Lina and Nick, of course...”

“I figured. Tomorrow I’ll make some calls, to see if there are any nice houses for sale around here.”

Jo squealed and hugged him tight. “I’m so exited! I just can’t wait. It’s one more step towards our new life.”

“Yeah. Take the day off, we’ll drive around and look for some place to have the wedding.”

“I’ll talk to Leigh. Just promise me one thing...”

“Anything, Princess.”

“No fancy hotel or anything like that... I don’t want a huge wedding with a billion people I’ve never met.”

“I know how you feel. Your friends, my friends, and our families. Not a single unnecessary soul.” He laughed and kissed her on the nose.

“Thanks, babe.” She yawned. “I really appreciate it...”

“You tired?”

She nodded. “Very.”

“Then we’ll talk more tomorrow. Love you.”

“Love you too.”


The next morning was calm. Jo prepared breakfast, then she got the day off to go with Alex, who’d spent the morning on the phone with a realtor. She sat in the passenger seat of his car and kept her eyes open for any location pretty enough to host their wedding. After only five minutes, Alex turned right into a tree-lined street. Jo turned to him with a confused look on her face.

“Where are we going?”

“We’re meeting Chandler Frost, the realtor, here. One of these babies are for sale...” He gestured at the houses along the street, some partially hidden behind hedges and trees. “Keep a look-out for number three.”

“We’re looking at a house now?”

“Yeah... He had an opening right now, and well, this street is apparently very popular.”

“Oh my god. Number three.” Jo pointed, and Alex smiled.

“He told me it was something special.” He had to hold Jo to keep her from jumping out of the car before he’d stopped it. It sure was something special. A big white house with a huge porch in a well-kept garden. The roof was set in many levels, from the one-story foyer, up to a second story, a third one, and a small tower as a fourth one. Jo jumped out of the car, and started jumping up and down.

“This is it, babe. It’s our house.”

“You haven’t even seen the inside yet.” He smiled at her enthusiasm.

“And why would I need to? It’s perfect.” She looked at him, almost challenging him to tell her what possibly could be wrong with this house.

“It sure looks good. But don’t get too exited, or I might have to pay a total over-price.”

She smiled. “I can’t promise anything.”

A car pulled up and stopped behind Alex’s. The driver introduced himself as Chandler.
“So, you guys wanna take a look at this beauty?”

“Yeah!” Jo nodded.

“Come on then!” Chandler lead the way up to the door and unlocked it. “The previous owners moved out last Saturday,” he explained.

Jo was dumb-struck as she walked in. Sun flooded the hardwood floors and the pleasantly faded walls.

“You take a look around. I’ll be here if you need me.” Chandler said and opened his briefcase.


Jo made her way into the kitchen, looked around and felt as if she was gonna cry. The walls had probably once been lemonishly yellow, but had faded into the sweetest of pastels. Everything was perfect, from the marble counter tops to the gorgeous appliances. She turned to Alex, just looked at him, and he nodded. “I know, Princess.”

“No... you don’t. Not to be smart or anything, but you don’t.”

“What is it then?”

“Remember that dream I had?”

“Yeah?”

“This is it. Even the view is the same.”

Alex smiled. “I told you it wasn’t a dream. It was the future. We better check out the rest of the house as well, or the realtor’ll think we’re crazy.” He took her hand, and together they walked up the stairs.


The rest of the house was as perfect as the kitchen. Jo was itching to move in, put her own touch on it, make it her own. Once again they were in the kitchen. The only thing they hadn’t seen was the garden, and Chandler was unlocking the door that lead out onto the patio. Jo took two steps out onto it and tugged on Alex’s hand. The lawns were green, lined with hedges. On the far end of the garden was a pool with a waterfall, almost hidden behind a couple of large trees. A tiled path lead down the middle of the lawn, towards the pool. There were flowers and rose bushes sprinkled across the lawn, and a fountain surrounded by them.

“This is it, babe. We’re having our wedding here,” she whispered to him. “No bridesmaids, nothing like that. Just you and me.” She turned to him and looked into his eyes. To her surprise, he had tears in them.

“Yeah. You and me. You’re right. This is it.” He smiled at her, and she kissed him. Together they walked back into the foyer, where Chandler was waiting.

“We’ve made up our minds. We want this house. We’re willing to pay the asking price. How soon can we move in?”

Chandler Frost just looked at them for a second, well aware that the asked price was too high. “Um, well...” he flipped through some papers. “As soon as you want, I guess. I’ll call the owners, set up the papers. The house should be yours before the end of the week.”